Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigredsixer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Well I did it. Ordered my powerbook today(g4 15" 1.67 with 128 video - 17" was too big to carry around and I wanted the better video). Couldnt wait until Sept. for info on updates. Beside they throw a G5 in a powerbook and I dont want to be the "guinny pig" testing that one out. Guess Im used to windows for so long that Im used to disappointment.

Ive been building and using Windows machines for about 10 years almost and I finally decided to purchase a Mac. Ive used Macs with OS 9 at work for a long time now doing design(yes they are too cheap to upgrade) and figured it was time to get one of my own for travel. Not alot of people porting Mac versions of games but I dont play as much anymore anyway. Besides itunes was never made to run in Windows very well.

Ive never used OSX before so it might take me a minute to fly around with the shortcuts, but Ill catch on quick. Anyone know of a good website with OSX tips and tricks?

Cant wait until its delivered! How long did all of yours take? If its customized?

PS anyone try one of these?

http://www.dvforge.com/themousebt.shtml

What did you think?

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Congrats on the switch. OS X is much better than OS 9 in my opinion, and I think you'll enjoy it. As for learning all the little tricks and shortcuts, I second the recommendation for macosxhints.com. Another great way to learn about OS X is with the Missing Manual books. Just do a search on Amazon for Missing Manual Tiger, and you find it. I bought the Panther edition when I switched last year, and found it to be a very useful book with lots of little tips and keyboard shortcuts and explanations of how to do things in OS X that you might not figure out quickly on your own.

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
bigredsixer said:
Ive never used OSX before so it might take me a minute to fly around with the shortcuts, but Ill catch on quick. Anyone know of a good website with OSX tips and tricks?

Cant wait until its delivered! How long did all of yours take? If its customized?

First & foremost, congratulations! Welcome to the Mac world - you're going to LOVE your new PowerBook!
I found Macworld's website (& magazine) to be helpful as well:
http://www.macworld.com

Lastly, when I ordered my BTO PB (a couple of Revs ago), I recall it taking about a week between the time I ordered & the time I received it.

Best wishes!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.