Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has seeded a new beta of OS X 10.8.1 to developers, exactly a week after the first build came out, according to 9to5Mac.

The release has a build number of 12B17 and Apple reports no known issues, but asks developers to focus on a wide variety of areas for their testing. The delta update -- where only items that have changed are downloaded -- weighs in at 43.27MB.

mountainlionbeta.jpg

According to 9to5Mac, developers have been asked to test Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange in Mail, PAC proxies in Safari, SMB, USB, and Wi-Fi and audio when connected to the Apple Thunderbolt display -- the same list of items as the prior release.

The OS X 10.8.1 seed is available for download via the OS X Developer portal at developer.apple.com.

Article Link: Apple Seeds New Beta of OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.1 to Developers

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Possible release next week since there are no known issues.

All things considered Mountain Lion has been pretty much problem free for a 10.x.0 release.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Then please, read every post in this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4135250?start=0&tstart=0

and then report back :p

I've read a lot of complaints about it.

But on my 2011 Macbook Air my battery life has actually improved with Mountain Lion.

I had a bit of an issue with getting Messages to work, but AppleCare was able to sort that out. Other than that I can't think of a single major issue with it. Which is pretty amazing for a first release.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Amen. As an ADC developer/member, the .1 update has caused many issues, especially with graphics. My 12-Core Mac Pro is a mess after this update, while my current gen 27" iMac is fine. Go figure. Installing this update now (crosses fingers)

So 10.8.0 is a train wreck and 10.8.1 fixes nothing...what can we expect, then?

eternalife

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
All things considered Mountain Lion has been pretty much problem free for a 10.x.0 release.

Huh? Where did you hear that? Tell that to my battery life. Mountain Lion (for me) is close to useless away from my home (or a power source).

rick98761

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2005
Kansas City, MO
Does this update allow you to tie your phone number into messages like the iPad running iOS 6 beta? I have iOS 6 on my phone and iPad and would love to be able to use my laptop and desktop for texting also.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
So 10.8.0 is a train wreck and 10.8.1 fixes nothing...what can we expect, then?

My guess is no, but have you installed 10.8.0? If so, how specifically is it a train wreck? What has made it unusable by you? As a developer, I've found it has been rock-solid for a x.0 release, far better than 10.7.0. As a high-end user, I've found it to be rock solid as well. While there are small niggling things here and there, nothing I'd describe as "train wreck".

I'm assuming that because you've made this statement more than once, you know something that I don't and that I am going to wake up one day and find the machine unusable. Definitely give us all some insight into your broad statements.

bandalay

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Canada
I suspect…

the train wreck-like conditions were created by Apple's continued insistence at running a Spotlight index on restart after you install. If you have a large volume it can take ages, all the while various new processes and set-up routines are trying to also start. It becomes a huge loagy mess. :(

Best to restart and go for coffee. Things will settle down quickly thereafter. :cool:

A clean install also zeroes out all sorts of caches and cruft, which would result in a much sprightlier system. :D

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Possible release next week since there are no known issues.

I wouldn't say problem free, but it's solid. I've had a few issues myself :

I've had 3 issues on my MBA :

- The time doesn't update itself fast enough when coming back from deep sleep. If I'm fast enough to enter my password, I can unlock the computer before the time jumps forward, resulting in the laptop relocking itself instantly as the time jumps ahead a few hours. :mad:

- My USB ports are wonky when hot swapping devices. Sometimes the left port will disable itself completely requiring a reboot to fix (I'd suspect hardware, but it started with ML and a reboot fixes it for a few hours/days).

- 3 times the laptop has frozen since ML. If I leave it open and on power, I'll find it a few hours later with screens black out, impossible to wake and the CPU fan going nuts.

Aside from that, ML has been pretty much a non-issue. All my favorite Lion features are there, I disabled Gatekeeper and still don't use neither iCloud nor Launchpad, so it's just dandy.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
the train wreck-like conditions were created by Apple's continued insistence at running a Spotlight index on restart after you install. If you have a large volume it can take ages, all the while various new processes and set-up routines are trying to also start. It becomes a huge loagy mess. :(

Best to restart and go for coffee. Things will settle down quickly thereafter. :cool:

A clean install also zeroes out all sorts of caches and cruft, which would result in a much sprightlier system. :D

And people CONTINUE to spout the same nonsense about the purported advantages of a "clean install" - for every five positive reports, I can show you five OTHER reports in these forums from users who have the same if not worse problems AFTER a clean install.

So let's stop with this placebo recipe, shall we?

----------

My guess is no, but have you installed 10.8.0? If so, how specifically is it a train wreck? What has made it unusable by you? As a developer, I've found it has been rock-solid for a x.0 release, far better than 10.7.0. As a high-end user, I've found it to be rock solid as well. While there are small niggling things here and there, nothing I'd describe as "train wreck".

I'm assuming that because you've made this statement more than once, you know something that I don't and that I am going to wake up one day and find the machine unusable. Definitely give us all some insight into your broad statements.

No, I haven't installed it - but I have been following the various reports of hard crashes, absurdly short battery life and iOS-like oddities. And it doesn't seem that great to me.

macpeach55

macrumors 6502

But if you do a Clean Install, and then import everything from Time Machine, you bring all the cruft with that. A clean up with Onyx, for example, will get rid of the cache & cruft.

naix

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2010
no known issues... :roll eyes:

i wish apple would take that **** out. We all know there are issues look at the forum.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
No known issues means no known issues with the build being seeded not with the OS in its entirety.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
No, I haven't installed it - but I have been following the various reports of hard crashes, absurdly short battery life and iOS-like oddities. And it doesn't seem that great to me.

So whining about something you've never even tried. Thanks, that's useful.

There are always problems with any release of any software, OS or otherwise, so anyone could declare any release a "train wreck" if the only basis for that is some people reporting problems online.

What really matters is how widespread problems are and how severe they are. Problems are to be expected for any .0 release, and for a .0 release it's surprisingly solid (heck of a lot better than 10.7.0, and I suspect better than 10.7.4 for most people).

It's just common knowledge, anyone doing mission critical work or otherwise sensitive to issues should skip all .0 releases (and often one or two after that). And those that do need not regale us with whining about problems they've just heard about, that adds nothing to the discussion.

tlevier

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Littleton, CO
I have a problem:

With some programs, when I make them go full screen (Hulu Plus, a Divx player) the dock stays on the screen, when usually it will fade to black, in the background behind my full screen window. Now I have to go to settings and tell the dock to auto-hide. I don't know if the programs need to be updated or if this is an ML issue.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
So, still no fix for the "weighs in at" issue. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.