PDA

View Full Version : Apple iPod (20GB)

MacBytes
Aug 7, 2005, 01:55 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Reviews
Link: Apple iPod (20GB) (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050807135524)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

MarcelV
Aug 7, 2005, 02:19 PM
Yep, we all need a voice recorder, because of course, don't you carry your dictaphone with you all the time? Hmmm, that market seems rather small, maybe that's why most don't care it's not build in. Same for FM radio or any other additional feature. I think, iPod is a music player and most people like to see it that way. That's why people buy this thingie in stead of all the bizillion other brands out there.
Ignorant review.... But hey, that's just my opinion! :D

iKwick7
Aug 7, 2005, 02:54 PM
Agreed. I love when people (that hate Apple, so they need a reason to complain) moan about the iPod not having an fm tuner/recorder. I mean really, what is the point? I don't even remember the last time that I listened to the radio, let alone felt the need to even record it. Same for the voice recorder. While that could be a cool addition, it really is not necessary.

dejo
Aug 7, 2005, 03:02 PM
...but we're a little disappointed by how closely it resembles the iPod photo.

Gee, I wonder why.

LaMerVipere
Aug 7, 2005, 04:32 PM
I'd give the iPod 3/5 stars.

Only because it's nothing new and the entire iPod line is feeling very stale these days.

nagromme
Aug 7, 2005, 05:00 PM
What I want most from a digital music player is my digital music, easily accessible. Frequent flashy changes aren't as important to me. I like the "extras"--but they're just that.

To complain that Apple merged the iPod and Photo lines is like saying Apple should NEVER do a minor update, only major ones--that only major updates are good products. That doesn't make sense, especially considering that the iPod Photo was a great product to begin with--and is now cheaper.

PC Magazine is really disappointed in the lack of video and FM? Do they have some shortage of radios in their lives, or a desire to watch movies at the grocery store? All that would be neat in a buzzword-checklist kind of way, and some people need those things--but I don't think they're high priorities for most people.

"So if you want to play back your pictures and slide shows on a TV, you'll need to plunk down some extra cash—$39 for the dock and $19 for the cable."

Wrong. To go to TV, you need ONLY the $19 cable. OR you can use the dock if you prefer S-video. You could use both, but EITHER one alone will do the job.

AlmostThere
Aug 7, 2005, 05:17 PM
I wouldn't be too quick to forget fm tuning capabilities. Here in the UK, BBC radio channels 1,2 and 4 (a broad spectrum of programme styles) together attract around 20 million listeners every morning. That is a lot of people to ignore (haven't even included independent radio stations, either).

Secondly, 7 of the top 10 pod casts on iTMS are BBC radio programmes, again indicating the popularity of this material.

Lastly, radio is not just music. Current affairs are MUCH more popular now (listening figures rocketed at the time of the London bombings, for example), not to mention live sport which still draws in large audiences.

Adding a fm tuner would be trivial from a technical point of view and I think also from a UI one too : just add another top level option. The scroll wheel makes a great tuning interface too (for anyone old enough to remember radios that needed tuning). Finally, the option to run radio means you could improve your battery life enormously, shutting off all disk access and processor intensive decoding.

I think it is a feature missed more than people think - but most just accept the features the iPod comes with.

zap2
Aug 7, 2005, 06:08 PM
I'd give the iPod 3/5 stars.

Only because it's nothing new and the entire iPod line is feeling very stale these days.

to someone who has had/ been hearing about the iPod for a long time, but people who do not have any iPod , OOOO IPOD WITH COLOR SCREEN!!!!!!!!!!

SPUY767
Aug 7, 2005, 09:42 PM
Dammit people! We have iPods so we DON'T HAVE TO LISTEN TO THE RADIO! Putting an FM tuner in my iPod is like putting a pedal drive in my GTO. If you want extras, the iPod has a cult of third party product makers who make higher quality things than the fools who try to cram the kitchen sink in the mp3 player.

nagromme
Aug 7, 2005, 10:35 PM
I agree that radio is important, and I'd like it on my iPod--I'd use it rarely, but as "one more extra" I wouldn't say no!

But everywhere I go already has a radio. I have almost no desire to walk around with headphones listening to radio.

solvs
Aug 8, 2005, 12:27 AM
If you want FM or voice recording, there are add ons you can buy.

Loge
Aug 8, 2005, 05:20 AM
Add ons are fine for features that would appeal to a minority. Unfortunately, the only addons for recording are for low bit rate voice recording; it would be great to have the ability to attach a decent mic, like you can with mini-disc.