Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yklxcq

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
And what is the good and not good of these two softwares.
thx IN ADVANCE :)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I'm driving to California - should I get a Ford or a Chevy?

Both will do the job, each has its fans, and an active online forum community. Both are (incidentally) owned by Adobe, so the smart money is on one of them getting discontinued or sold off a la FreeHand.

Dreamweaver has the larger installed base, so it is likely to be the long term survivor.

I used GoLive until I got fed up with it corrupting its own site files all the time and crashing without provocation (so I have no experience with it beyond ver.3, newer versions may be more stable). Switched to Dreamweaver, which is none to stable itself, and has issues with text editing and slow table updating.

Partially, its more to do with your personal preferences. See if you can get some time on a computer with one or both of the programs. If you are considering getting the Adobe Creative Suite Premium with Photoshop Indesign, Acrobat and Illustrator, you will get GoLive thrown in "free".

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
dreamweaver period.

go live is JUNK in my opion. <font color="#666666">b</font><font color="#666666">ecause</font><font color="#666666">it does things</font><font color="#666666">like this</font>

granted if the person doing pages like that was an idiot but I still spent hours fixing it.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
yklxcq said:
i am going to build my own website, which one should i use?
Any comment is appreciate:)
cheers
As was stated earlier, having recently acquired Macromedia, Adobe now owns both GoLive and Dreamweaver. However, Adobe has traditionally not been very kind to acquired apps. I don't see much of a future for Dreamweaver. You do understand that GoLive and Dreamweaver are not your only choices. Before finalizing on two expensive commercial apps, you ought to take a look at opensource offerings. Mozilla's Nvu deserves a look.

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
I prefer DW, just because I am more comfortable with it and it has been around longer. But, what do i know, I've never used Adobe. Guess its just preference.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
dornoforpyros said:
dreamweaver period.

go live is JUNK in my opion. <font color="#666666">b</font><font color="#666666">ecause</font><font color="#666666">it does things</font><font color="#666666">like this</font>

granted if the person doing pages like that was an idiot but I still spent hours fixing it.

I use Dreamweaver at home and just plain old textEdit on the road (DW eats up my battery power fasts!). Not that I want to defend GoLive BUT... I tried the new CS2 version out just for kicks, knowing I was going to delete it from my system but thought I should give it a try seeing how it was part of what I had paid for. Getting to the point, goLive no longer does that junk. In fact, goLive is a bit more advanced then DW right now when it comes to authoring in CSS (at least from my brief observation).

Alao... there are a lot of other builders out there, some free and equally as good to Dreamweaver.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
zim said:
I use Dreamweaver at home and just plain old textEdit on the road (DW eats up my battery power fasts!). Not that I want to defend GoLive BUT... I tried the new CS2 version out just for kicks, knowing I was going to delete it from my system but thought I should give it a try seeing how it was part of what I had paid for. Getting to the point, goLive no longer does that junk. In fact, goLive is a bit more advanced then DW right now when it comes to authoring in CSS (at least from my brief observation).

Alao... there are a lot of other builders out there, some free and equally as good to Dreamweaver.

eh I'm just jaded cuz I spent about 2-3 solid days fixing up go-live code that a former co-worker for mine had left behind. The worse of which being her flash movies were loading up different movies in different browsers. Granted her filining system was the pits but I'm still not sure sure how you can get an embed tag that wrong.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I prefer GoLive, but only because I began on that app. That being said, I use Dreamweaver to make custom pages for PowerSchool, as recommended. Cleaner code by a longshot. I hope and pray that Adobe takes the two apps and combines them into one SUPERAPP.... clean code like Dreamweaver, great GUI like GoLive.

carlos700

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2004
Omaha, NE
Macromedia just introduced Dreamweaver 8. Therefore you can pre-order it. Personally I've used Dreamweaver MX 2004 and MX and I love them both.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
Les Kern said:
I prefer GoLive, but only because I began on that app. That being said, I use Dreamweaver to make custom pages for PowerSchool, as recommended. Cleaner code by a longshot. I hope and pray that Adobe takes the two apps and combines them into one SUPERAPP.... clean code like Dreamweaver, great GUI like GoLive.

Adobe recently sent me a web survey regarding Macromedia products and Adobe products. I think that the point of the survey is to assist them in either a. doing as you said combining them or b. dropping one in favor of the other.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
bigandy said:
dreamweaver or textedit :rolleyes:

I use Dreamweaver only because I feel guilty for having upgraded to MX04 but I only use the coding mode... so basically I have a (I forget how much it was)... really expensive version of textedit... well it does catch my errors, sometimes. There are some really good competitors to GoLive and Dreamweaver out there, less expensive too... i.e. BBEdit.

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
God I want Studio 8 so badly and its being released in mid-September.

They've overhauled DW and Flash a bit and the CSS support looks awesome in DW 8, cant wait to get my hands on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.