Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

watchmainspring

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Boston
would I really notice a differnce?

I want to get an external hard drive, but I figure I could just upgrade to a faster system drive, and use my current 160GB internal as an external movie drive.

Is the 76 GB raptor going to make my system run noticably faster?

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
Winstonp said:

I want to get an external hard drive, but I figure I could just upgrade to a faster system drive, and use my current 160GB internal as an external movie drive.

It will definitly be faster, but just be aware that raptors can sometimes be noisy and give of a lot of heat, so your fans may activate more often, if noise is important to you, perhaps somebody who has one in an imac can give you a more informed response

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
I would advise against it. The imac is known to run pretty hot already with the g5 and everything. A faster hd will only make the cramped internals of the imac even hotter.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Do you use the iMac for hard drive intensive work? If you're working with massive files that can't be kept in the RAM (video/film and so on) then I suppose it'd help.

General system performance will improve but I wouldn't say it's worth it. Plus, as others have warned, it'll make things get pretty hot.

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
Question

greatdevourer said:
The Raptor makes my Cube run like hell, but I dunno the bandwidth speeds on your 160GB. Details?

How did you manage this? There are no Cube SATA cards, and the Raptor is clearly SATA.

I would not put a Raptor in a G5 iMac.

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
RGunner said:
How did you manage this? There are no Cube SATA cards, and the Raptor is clearly SATA.

I thought it was available in IDE as well :confused:

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
RGunner said:

Wouldn't it be possible to use a SATA to PATA converter?

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
I would not put a Raptor in an imac G5. Too hot heck the stock HD are known to overheat in the imac G5 to the point where they burn out. I would suggest using a Maxline III or DiamondMax 10 SATA drive with 16MB of cache. They run cooler and quieter while offering much larger capacity for the price and in many aspects of performance can perform equally or nearly equally to the WD Raptors.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
taeclee99 said:
I would advise against it. The imac is known to run pretty hot already with the g5 and everything. A faster hd will only make the cramped internals of the imac even hotter.

If it gets too hot, just do what this guy did....

Attachments

• iMacfan.jpg
    iMacfan.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 218

watchmainspring

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Boston
I never even considered the heat issue. Perhaps I should ask the apple techs. I'm sure they will advice against it...

Someone MUST have done this before...

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
You might try xlr8yourmac.com for more information, but I
don't think it's a good idea because of heat and noise issues.

Woah! I just noticed your signature info.

If you have a rev A 20" 1.8 iMac G5, you definitely do not want to
cause any more heat!

If fact I would very closely inspect your midplane board capacitors for even the slightest indication that they are swelling or beginning to fail.

If so, you may have a time crunch getting your motherboard replaced before your system goes out of warranty.

I would stick with OEM until you are certain that your system is O.K.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
greatdevourer said:
The Raptor makes my Cube run like hell, but I dunno the bandwidth speeds on your 160GB. Details?

I'm gonna join in with all the people saying "whaaa?" That's not possible at all. I mean, I thought about it, but from a purely technical aspect, you just can't do that.

But... you have? How!? I must have your secrets! Tell us!

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Little Endian said:
I would not put a Raptor in an imac G5. Too hot heck the stock HD are known to overheat in the imac G5 to the point where they burn out. I would suggest using a Maxline III or DiamondMax 10 SATA drive with 16MB of cache. They run cooler and quieter while offering much larger capacity for the price and in many aspects of performance can perform equally or nearly equally to the WD Raptors.
Yeah, what he said.

watchmainspring

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Boston
FFTT said:
You might try xlr8yourmac.com for more information, but I
don't think it's a good idea because of heat and noise issues.

Woah! I just noticed your signature info.

If you have a rev A 20" 1.8 iMac G5, you definitely do not want to
cause any more heat!

If fact I would very closely inspect your midplane board capacitors for even the slightest indication that they are swelling or beginning to fail.

If so, you may have a time crunch getting your motherboard replaced before your system goes out of warranty.

I would stick with OEM until you are certain that your system is O.K.
what should I look for????

I have applecare... :)

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Winstonp said:

it would make your system run noticebly faster in certain uses, but it is not worth your while due to the overheating issues of the iMac G5..

ShadOW ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.