PDA

View Full Version : Acquired a PowerMac G5 tower

iMikeT
Aug 18, 2012, 06:08 PM
I was helping my uncle move yesterday and acquired his old PowerMac G5 tower that he was planning on throwing away. Aside from dirt, a few scratches, and the broken SuperDrive door, it seems to be in good shape, both inside and out.

Here's the deal. He said that it ceased to function and I have no idea what the extent is on that. I didn't get the power cable with it so I won't be able to power it up to see what's going on with it.

My goal is to get this baby functioning again in some manner. Either by replacing parts or completely gutting everything and installing standard PC hardware to making a gaming rig or something, I mean, the chassis is still in good shape and I'd hate to see a beautifully designed machine end up in the dump.

From what I can tell, this is a 2004 or 2005 model. I don't have the precise specs.

I'm open to suggestions and help with this highly ambitious project. Thanks guys!

Nameci
Aug 18, 2012, 06:41 PM
Mind posting the picture of the back side and i can tell you right away if it is a late 2005 or an earlier powermac.

iMikeT
Aug 18, 2012, 07:51 PM
Here are pics of the G5 tower.

iMikeT
Aug 18, 2012, 07:52 PM
More pics.

Nameci
Aug 18, 2012, 07:58 PM
That is most probably and early 2005 dual processor powermac G5.

Jessica Lares
Aug 18, 2012, 08:09 PM
You can type the serial that's at the bottom of that case here to know exactly: https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do?newid=y

It's say OBS,Power Mac G5, followed by the month and year.

iMikeT
Aug 18, 2012, 08:13 PM
That is most probably and early 2005 dual processor powermac G5.

Thanks.

Actually, when I opened up the tower and removed the plastic shield and fan, I noticed that the logic board had "Apple Computer Inc ©2004" stamped on it. For all we know, it might have been manufactured in 2004 and shipped in 2005... Either way, I won't be finding out more about his machine until I can get it to boot.

So far it looks like I'll need a power cable and hard drive to get started. Then I'll need a copy of the os to boot from, luckily, I have a copy of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. :D

Even with that, my big fear is that the power supply could be dead or the G5's liquid cooling apparatus might have leaked. The power supply, not so much an issue but the liquid cooling unit, that's a different story. :eek:

Intell
Aug 19, 2012, 02:50 AM
That G5 is air cooled. No cooling fluid to leak. They use standard C14 power cables. You may have a box full of them somewhere left over from old computers. It also appears to be missing its hard drive. When installing a new one, you'll have to use the four black screws in the gray plastic bulkhead to the left of the hard drive bay to slid the new drive in. They use standard SATA I drives. You may want to stay away from SATA III drives, PowerMac G5's tend to not like those very much. It also looks like it has an Airport card, but no antenna. That could be a slight problem.

Orange Furball
Aug 19, 2012, 02:58 AM
If you need parts to fix the super drive door let me know. If I can figure out how to get it out of my case I'll give you the parts you need for it. I just use my case as a chair, so I won't miss them. If you're in the us I'll give it to you with free shipping. Let me know if you need it

GermanyChris
Aug 19, 2012, 03:17 AM
That G5 is air cooled. No cooling fluid to leak. They use standard C14 power cables. You may have a box full of them somewhere left over from old computers. It also appears to be missing its hard drive. When installing a new one, you'll have to use the four black screws in the gray plastic bulkhead to the left of the hard drive bay to slid the new drive in. They use standard SATA I drives. You may want to stay away from SATA III drives, PowerMac G5's tend to not like those very much. It also looks like it has an Airport card, but no antenna. That could be a slight problem.

The wisdom of the internet agrees with you but I don't have any issues with SATA III drives either SSD nor platter nor do I do change the pin jumpers.

iMikeT
Aug 20, 2012, 02:18 AM

That's some useful info to know. Then again, I was always under the impression that PowerMac G5s were all liquid cooled. I remember seeing the tubes in pretty much every photo I've seen when the "G5" cover was removed. I'm guessing that these were later models.

As far as the hard drive goes.... I noticed that the drive(s) were missing after I initially opened it. It shouldn't be a problem finding a replacement drive for it. I think I have a SATA II drive laying around somewhere.

As for the AirPort antenna, it shouldn't be a problem for me. I typically use Ethernet for immobile computers. There is one thing I am a little perplexed about with this particular machine. I noticed that there are two Ethernet ports, one built into the logic board and the other as a PCI card. What's the deal with that?

If you need parts to fix the super drive door let me know. If I can figure out how to get it out of my case I'll give you the parts you need for it. I just use my case as a chair, so I won't miss them. If you're in the us I'll give it to you with free shipping. Let me know if you need it

Wow, thanks, that's very generous of you! Although, that may be well into the future as I have other things to keep me busy at the moment. I see this as a pet project that "I'll get to eventually...." Just like building my Eddie Van Halen Frankenstein replica that I started over two years ago.

I must say, that is one well designed chair that you have. I can actually see these towers being used as piano chairs. :)

Intell
Aug 20, 2012, 02:32 AM
The PCI Ethernet card was installed by the previous owner. It did not come from Apple like that and is not needed, unless the built in Ethernet doesn't work.

Orange Furball
Aug 20, 2012, 06:31 AM
I must say, that is one well designed chair that you have. I can actually see these towers being used as piano chairs. :)

I use mine for drums, I'm not coordinated, so piano just does work for me!

Anyway, just let me know whenever you need it. I don't see it disappearing anytime soon!

jezzy
Aug 21, 2012, 11:21 AM
I've got 4GB ram for it.. my G5 died on me a few weeks ago actually (the LCS system leaked, ruined the power supply).

I've got 8x512MB for cheap..! PM me

Zeke D
Aug 21, 2012, 11:43 AM
I've got 4GB ram for it.. my G5 died on me a few weeks ago actually (the LCS system leaked, ruined the power supply).

I've got 8x512MB for cheap..! PM me

Hey jezzy, do you have BT or wireless modules and antennas available?

jezzy
Aug 21, 2012, 08:40 PM

nah no modules in either of my g5's, but do have the antennas.

Zeke D
Aug 21, 2012, 09:31 PM
nah no modules in either of my g5's, but do have the antennas.

what would you sell the antennas for?

Intell
Aug 21, 2012, 09:34 PM

Pick up some iMac 2007/2008 Bluetooth boards on eBay. They're Bluetooth 2.X and they're compatible with every PowerMac G5 except for the late 2005 ones.

Zeke D
Aug 21, 2012, 09:51 PM
Pick up some iMac 2007/2008 Bluetooth boards on eBay. They're Bluetooth 2.X and they're compatible with every PowerMac G5 except for the late 2005 ones.

yeah, but I still need the antenna.

max••
Aug 22, 2012, 06:47 AM
I'm not sure thats a air cooled one, it looks exactly like my liquid cooled one. Without seeing under the g5 cover it's hard to tell. oh and if your looking for it's specs there printed on the lable on the inside of the door (at the bottom of the case)

Intell
Aug 22, 2012, 07:21 AM
I'm not sure thats a air cooled one, it looks exactly like my liquid cooled one. Without seeing under the g5 cover it's hard to tell. oh and if your looking for it's specs there printed on the lable on the inside of the door (at the bottom of the case)

It lacks the pumps, radiator, pipes, and has two air cool type fans in place.

max••
Aug 22, 2012, 07:45 AM
It lacks the pumps, radiator, pipes, and has two air cool type fans in place.

you can't see any on them in those pictures, they would be behind the g5 cover. and the fans on it are exactly the same as the ones on my liquid cooled g5

Orange Furball
Aug 22, 2012, 09:02 AM
you can't see any on them in those pictures, they would be behind the g5 cover. and the fans on it are exactly the same as the ones on my liquid cooled g5

Its air. It is a spitting image of my old g5.

jezzy
Aug 23, 2012, 05:49 AM
what would you sell the antennas for?

Maybe im mistaken, i thought the antennas were internal? I just took appart the g5 last night and ive got the harness thats inside the g5 which runs to the backplate and gives you the bt and wifi plugs.. No ext antennas :(

Zeke D
Aug 23, 2012, 06:37 AM
Maybe im mistaken, i thought the antennas were internal? I just took appart the g5 last night and ive got the harness thats inside the g5 which runs to the backplate and gives you the bt and wifi plugs.. No ext antennas :(
if you look at the image of the OPs G5 you can see the connectors for the BT and wireless above the optical plug.

jezzy
Aug 23, 2012, 06:43 AM
To the OP, gut the case and use it for a hackintosh build. Get yourself a mountain mod tray and your set! I spent too much time and money fixing a g5 and burnt out within a month. When it was working, not much ppc support on newer hw and sw. Dont bother ;)

Orange Furball
Aug 23, 2012, 08:19 AM
To the OP, gut the case and use it for a hackintosh build. Get yourself a mountain mod tray and your set! I spent too much time and money fixing a g5 and burnt out within a month. When it was working, not much ppc support on newer hw and sw. Dont bother ;)

Don't put him down.

OP, do this project! Well worth it and the G5 is still a great machine!

GermanyChris
Aug 23, 2012, 08:40 AM

Great advise, no need to learn anything new just hack it..:rolleyes:

simie
Aug 24, 2012, 02:10 PM
Quite agree, looking at his photographs all he needs to do is put in a hard drive and reassemble and power up with a OSX install disk in the DVD drive.

It even looks like he has the spare mounting screws for the drive.

If I remember right when I purchased my Dual 2.5 I had to install the wireless lead inside as it was not connected as I had to wait for it to be sent. Once I had plugged cable in all I had to do was plug in the external aerial.

OP, do this project! Well worth it and the G5 is still a great machine![/QUOTE]

ihuman:D
Aug 24, 2012, 03:05 PM

BOOOOOOOOOO! G4's and G5's are still great machines and there's still some good apps still being actively developed for powerpc (including universal apps).

Orange Furball
Aug 24, 2012, 03:42 PM
Got the super drive thing for you. Let me know if you need it!

http://img.tapatalk.com/ae36758a-e744-3bd3.jpg

iMikeT
Aug 26, 2012, 11:12 PM

I'm far from having to resort to turning this baby into a hackintosh at the moment.

Don't put him down.

Quite agree, looking at his photographs all he needs to do is put in a hard drive and reassemble and power up with a OSX install disk in the DVD drive.

It even looks like he has the spare mounting screws for the drive.

If I remember right when I purchased my Dual 2.5 I had to install the wireless lead inside as it was not connected as I had to wait for it to be sent. Once I had plugged cable in all I had to do was plug in the external aerial.

Thanks for the encouragement. It's still my plan to try to get this machine running. However, it's definitely no simple task. I still have to figure out why it wouldn't boot up for my uncle. Seriously, he was 100% ready to just dump this tower until I came along.

Thanks, that's awesome of you. Like I said before, this project is something I'll be getting to hopefully "sometime soon".

First thing's first. The next few weeks are going to be very busy for me with everything else going on. I'll probably get back to this mid to late September at the earliest. That way, it will give me time to find an old power cable and hard drive that I can spare.

MacMilligan
Aug 27, 2012, 02:44 AM
It's not worth the trouble. My old dual 2.5ghz G5 chugged just surfing the net and it was very loud. They are not practical anymore. If you want it just to look at then go for it, but there is not much reason to put money into a dead platform. Mine scored 2100 in geek bench, my 13 MBP scored 6900...

I'm in the middle of making mine a hackintosh case. I'm currently using a 3570k mountain lion build as my main because I couldn't wait for the new iMac. It scores 12200 in geek bench all for 700 bucks :).

Orange Furball
Aug 27, 2012, 02:48 AM
It's not worth the trouble. My old dual 2.5ghz G5 chugged just surfing the net and it was very loud. They are not practical anymore. If you want it just to look at then go for it, but there is not much reason to put money into a dead platform. Mine scored 2100 in geek bench, my 13 MBP scored 6900...

I'm in the middle of making mine a hackintosh case. I'm currently using a 3570k mountain lion build as my main because I couldn't wait for the new iMac. It scores 12200 in geek bench all for 700 bucks :).

Don't discourage him. Just because it wasn't your cup of tea doesn't mean he won't enjoy it!

Nameci
Aug 27, 2012, 07:17 AM
I just don't understand these people. You are not them. Just give them advise on how they could go on with their project. Don't force your insight into them.

GermanyChris
Aug 27, 2012, 08:32 AM
Cause the most powerfullest computer is the bestest..

A 12000 geekbech is ssssoooo fast it just gets me all excited :rolleyes:

Aug 27, 2012, 08:38 AM

Some G4's are still practical machines so stop saying that they're not practical.

chibiterasu
Aug 27, 2012, 11:13 AM
Some G4's are still practical machines so stop saying that they're not practical.

So true I brought a imac G4 17 inch 1.25Ghz even though I have a MBP, It works perfectly well for web browsing, e-mail and word processing, I would love a G5 especially a dual processor one those things are great. Don't tear it apart just because it will be faster, there is always something faster.

MacMilligan
Aug 27, 2012, 11:47 AM
I'm certainly not "forcing my insight" on anyone, just giving my opinion about the exact same situation I was in a bit ago. When I say practical, I mean compared to modern machines in areas such as power usage, noise, heat, software compatibility, and parts availability.

The G5 cruises some websites okay, but newer sites with video and such crippled my set up. If you are just looking for an Internet/email/word processing machine, then it will suffice.

I like the G5, which is why I was trying to keep its spirit alive by spending a lot of time modifying the case for years and years of additional use ;)

Zeke D
Aug 27, 2012, 12:01 PM

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/ae36758a-e744-3bd3.jpg)

Here is where my ignorance shines, what the heck is that thing?

GermanyChris
Aug 27, 2012, 12:16 PM
Here is where my ignorance shines, what the heck is that thing?

It's the super drive door.

----------

I'm certainly not "forcing my insight" on anyone, just giving my opinion about the exact same situation I was in a bit ago. When I say practical, I mean compared to modern machines in areas such as power usage, noise, heat, software compatibility, and parts availability.

The G5 cruises some websites okay, but newer sites with video and such crippled my set up. If you are just looking for an Internet/email/word processing machine, then it will suffice.

I like the G5, which is why I was trying to keep its spirit alive by spending a lot of time modifying the case for years and years of additional use ;)

But you don't learn anything by hackintoshing, putting PC's together is just not hard, leaning to play video smoothly on a PM is hard. You lean new stuff when forced to use old non supported HW.

Orange Furball
Aug 27, 2012, 12:52 PM
It's the super drive door.

----------

But you don't learn anything by hackintoshing, putting PC's together is just not hard, leaning to play video smoothly on a PM is hard. You lean new stuff when forced to use old non supported HW.

This is very true. Why take the easy way out? Millions of people can use a hackintosh, but only an elite few can use a PM as a daily driver.

I guess we will see what its like when Tom does his PowerPC Challenge. (If you haven't heard of this, I suggest you use Google)

simie
Aug 27, 2012, 01:47 PM
This is very true. Why take the easy way out? Millions of people can use a hackintosh, but only an elite few can use a PM as a daily driver.

I guess we will see what its like when Tom does his PowerPC Challenge. (If you haven't heard of this, I suggest you use Google)

Surely all our efforts are to keep the G5 up and running for what ever task we use them for. Any person can build an hackintosh but lets see them build a G5 from scratch.

Aug 27, 2012, 02:40 PM
So true I brought a imac G4 17 inch 1.25Ghz even though I have a MBP, It works perfectly well for web browsing, e-mail and word processing, I would love a G5 especially a dual processor one those things are great. Don't tear it apart just because it will be faster, there is always something faster.

Ha! I just bought a 17'' 1.25GHz iMac G4 too! They're great machines, good for multimedia also.

GermanyChris
Aug 27, 2012, 02:50 PM

Yes I check his channel about everyday..he's a cool kid!

chibiterasu
Aug 27, 2012, 03:53 PM
Ha! I just bought a 17'' 1.25GHz iMac G4 too! They're great machines, good for multimedia also.

They really are great I haven't had mine for long either. They are even better for multimedia when the DVD drive works thats the only thing up with mine I will replace it though and probably upgrade the HDD at the same time.

nickjf20
Aug 27, 2012, 03:57 PM
Sadly the glory days of the G5s are over ... I personally wouldn't bother spending money on repairing/buying one to use everyday for any reason other than nostalgia

The cases are still the best looking in the business so I'd definitely have another look at using it as a PC case ... my unfinished work log can be seen at http://mineosplus.org/powermac-i7

GermanyChris
Aug 27, 2012, 04:12 PM
Sadly the glory days of the G5s are over ... I personally wouldn't bother spending money on repairing/buying one to use everyday for any reason other than nostalgia

The cases are still the best looking in the business so I'd definitely have another look at using it as a PC case ... my unfinished work log can be seen at http://mineosplus.org/powermac-i7

Because just like cars electrical components wear out. I like 0w30 in the winter and 20w40 in the summer keeps my computers running clean and smooth.

What do you prefer in your computers?

nickjf20
Aug 27, 2012, 04:15 PM
Because just like cars electrical components wear out. I like 0w30 in the winter and 20w40 in the summer keeps my computers running clean and smooth.

What do you prefer in your computers?

More of a 5w50 person myself these days

jaglad
Aug 27, 2012, 04:30 PM
It should say what spec the machine is on the grey sticker that runs along the bottom of the case where the perspex cover goes in.

It could be either liquid or air cooled, both use the same fan setup, just the liquid cooled machines have a radiator matrix which can be clearly seen when the front fans are removed as if upgrading the memory. The air cooled machines show two indiviudal heat sinks.

Liquid cooled machines were the 2x2.5ghz later replaced by the 2x2.7ghz machines (I had one of them) which was later replaced by the quad 2.5ghz. All other machines were air cooled.

GermanyChris
Aug 27, 2012, 04:31 PM
More of a 5w50 person myself these days

it's to thick for your "High Performance" 920 it'll gum up the passages.

Intell
Aug 27, 2012, 04:38 PM
Surely all our efforts are to keep the G5 up and running for what ever task we use them for. Any person can build an hackintosh but lets see them build a G5 from scratch.

There was a person on here asking help with the front board of their PM G5. They said they built it from parts off of eBay.

Zeke D
Aug 27, 2012, 04:52 PM
And my frankenG5 has been parted together from 3 dead G5s. Of course that is probably why it is circling the drain...

nickjf20
Aug 27, 2012, 05:57 PM
If it's a liquid cooled model and it's not leaked everywhere yet, service it fully (google guides) and it should work ok for a while longer until it will inevitably ruin everything.

nickjf20
Aug 27, 2012, 06:07 PM
it's to thick for your "High Performance" 920 it'll gum up the passages.

Machine's only used for gaming ! Everything else is left to the much more pleasant macbook
It was all second hand so needed a good thick oil to get the ... erm ... ok so I just googled your original post because I didn't have a clue what you were going on about and picked an oil at random (please don't judge me :o)

simie
Aug 28, 2012, 05:56 PM
If it's a liquid cooled model and it's not leaked everywhere yet, service it fully (google guides) and it should work ok for a while longer until it will inevitably ruin everything.

I have a liquid Cooled G5 and mine as not leaked as of yet, some people have had a lot of bad look with theirs leaking.

jbarley
Aug 28, 2012, 06:09 PM
What a crock of $h*t!
You obviously cannot backup generalized statements as this.
There are probably many many more liquid cooled G5's that have not failed then those that have, mine being one of them.
It's kinda like saying if you live long enough you'll inevitably die.

Nukemkb
Aug 28, 2012, 07:36 PM
What a crock of $h*t!
You obviously cannot backup generalized statements as this.
There are probably many many more liquid cooled G5's that have not failed then those that have, mine being one of them.
It's kinda like saying if you live long enough you'll inevitably die.

Stomp on him, then make same type of statement... :rolleyes: