Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
hey guys, i was just wondering what are some free fun online games for the Mac. right now i'm just playing Counter Strike: Source and the new CS: GO. are there any other fun online games for the Mac? i'd love something with a decent sized community so i can easily find games.

what do you guys suggest? i wouldn't mind something that's less than $10 if it's really good.

thanks

errin

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2007
Have you already tried Team Fortress 2 ? This one is awesome.

And you may try to look in Steam's store to find more games with mac compatible.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
You can play multiple characters up to level 20 in World of Warcraft for free on the Mac.

You can also play a trial edition of Starcraft II for Mac and I am pretty sure there is now one for Diablo III as well.

These are all teasers to get you interested in buying the games but they are fun with many hours of free gameplay to be had. You might decide one or more of them is well worth it to you once you've tried them out. Blizzard is hoping so anyway. ;-)

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Have you already tried Team Fortress 2 ? This one is awesome.

And you may try to look in Steam's store to find more games with mac compatible.

thanks i'll check out steam.

i'm not interested in sc2 or anything from blizz.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011
I started a WoW trial very recently, and I didn't see anything about a SCII or Diablo III trial. Not sure where you're getting that...

To the OP, I'd say to give the World of WarCraft Trial a shot. I've watched my friends play WoW for years and always thought that the game was stupid or too hard to learn how to play, but I really like it.

I'm Level 9 now, and I've only played a couple hours. If things are as they seem for the remainder of the trial, I'll definitely upgrade from the trial to a full game.

Anyways, give it a shot. After all, it's free! The worst thing that'll happen is that you don't like the game and you kill a few hours (or minutes if you REALLY don't like it... :rolleyes:).

Mac Games on Amazon.com equal to or less than $10
-Call of Duty (original) $4
-Call of Duty 2 $9
-Doom 3 $10

I don't really see anything around $10. You need to spend at least $20 on most of the recent/better Mac games.

Last edited:

arashb

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2009
team fortress 2 is probably the best f2p online game out, and soon DoTA will be released on steam as well. Actually, Steam has a lot of f2p games I believe.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I started a WoW trial very recently, and I didn't see anything about a SCII or Diablo III trial. Not sure where you're getting that...

To the OP, I'd say to give the World of WarCraft Trial a shot. I've watched my friends play WoW for years and always thought that the game was stupid or too hard to learn how to play, but I really like it.

I'm Level 9 now, and I've only played a couple hours. If things are as they seem for the remainder of the trial, I'll definitely upgrade from the trial to a full game.

Anyways, give it a shot. After all, it's free! The worst thing that'll happen is that you don't like the game and you kill a few hours (or minutes if you REALLY don't like it... :rolleyes:).

Mac Games on Amazon.com equal to or less than $10
-Call of Duty (original) $4
-Call of Duty 2 $9
-Doom 3 $10

I don't really see anything around $10. You need to spend at least $20 on most of the recent/better Mac games.

I have the SC II trial installed on my Mac. That's where I am getting that. lol

I downloaded it from Blizzard's site.

They are doing a D3 demo. I just wasn't sure if it was out yet or not. I didn't bother to look because I already own the game.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011
I have the SC II trial installed on my Mac. That's where I am getting that. lol

I downloaded it from Blizzard's site.

They are doing a D3 demo. I just wasn't sure if it was out yet or not. I didn't bother to look because I already own the game.

My bad dude lol. I guess I didn't notice it because it wasn't what I went to the website to download. Haha.

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
ok thanks guys, i keep hearing that dota2 won't be out for months. are there any other strategy games out there i can look at?

thanks

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
are there any other strategy games out there i can look at?

Civilization V if you like turn-based.

But let me get this straight... you're asking about strategy games for Mac... but "aren't interested" in StarCraft II...

Last edited by a moderator:

billyja

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2012
Ludhiana
These days internet is totally changed, things are changing very fast. These days there are lot of flash games are available on internet with great ease. Even these are easily installed and played. You can play these games on any operating system.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011
You can play Quake Live for free on any Windows, OS X, or Linux machine. It's completely web-based. I used to play but the people on there are jackasses and I got tired of seeing them pick on people and me on occasion.

I'd highly recommend WoW. I love the game.

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
You could always try this, or if you're using an older OS then SNES9x works well too.

I guess it depends what sort of games you're into ultimately... old SNES RPGs are incredibly immersive and fun.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
Give RuneScape a try, it is a JAVA based game. I have been playing it for 5 years now. The free version of the game is pretty big and will help you kill a lot of time. The paid version costs $6 a month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.