Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tezzamacuser

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2012
Noticed that my powerbook g4 charger is getting really hot it got so hot last night that it actually shut itself off. Only does it when the battery is charging and im using it at the same time.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Noticed that my powerbook g4 charger is getting really hot it got so hot last night that it actually shut itself off. Only does it when the battery is charging and im using it at the same time.

It's time to look at getting a new one, I get the 20 euro aftermarkets on amazon.de

Tezzamacuser

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2012
It's time to look at getting a new one, I get the 20 euro aftermarkets on amazon.de

Thought that might be the case the powerbook itself is getting really hot where the charger plugs in I downloaded a temperature monitor and the hottest part on there is the graphics processor which is running at 54.degrees celcius.

Matthew55904

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2012
Thought that might be the case the powerbook itself is getting really hot where the charger plugs in I downloaded a temperature monitor and the hottest part on there is the graphics processor which is running at 54.degrees celcius.

well the only two things i can think of is A the charger is internally shorted and needs to be replaced (can get aftermarket ones real cheap on eBay) or the power board in the PB itself is bad and might need replacing.

Tezzamacuser

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2012
well the only two things i can think of is A the charger is internally shorted and needs to be replaced (can get aftermarket ones real cheap on eBay) or the power board in the PB itself is bad and might need replacing.

It runs at 45 degrees when its not on the charger and once the battery is full and its running on mains supply its fine too its only when its charging. Its like the power supply can't handle running and charging at the same time.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
It runs at 45 degrees when its not on the charger and once the battery is full and its running on mains supply its fine too its only when its charging. Its like the power supply can't handle running and charging at the same time.

It seems to me that your battery needs more current now in order to charge. Your battery might be dying.

Tezzamacuser

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2012
It seems to me that your battery needs more current now in order to charge. Your battery might be dying.

The battery status is good its only done 41 cycles and it holds a charge for a good 4 hours with light to moderate use.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Does it get hot during the initial or at the end? If it is at the end, then the trickle charging is faulty. I am not sure if the controls are from the charger or from the DC in board.

Tezzamacuser

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2012
Does it get hot during the initial or at the end? If it is at the end, then the trickle charging is faulty. I am not sure if the controls are from the charger or from the DC in board.

It get hot when its charging from an empty battery with the powerbook turned on. If I charge it with the powerbook turned off its fine and once the battery is full its fine. The charger gets so hot that it nearly burns my hand when I touch it. It got so hot the other day that it turned itself off. The powerbook gets hot to the touch where the adapter plugs in and the fan goes crazy trying to keep everything cool. But like I said once the battery is full everything returns to normal.

Davy.Shalom

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2008
It get hot when its charging from an empty battery with the powerbook turned on. If I charge it with the powerbook turned off its fine and once the battery is full its fine. The charger gets so hot that it nearly burns my hand when I touch it. It got so hot the other day that it turned itself off. The powerbook gets hot to the touch where the adapter plugs in and the fan goes crazy trying to keep everything cool. But like I said once the battery is full everything returns to normal.

Mine is the same exact way. Replacing your thermal paste won't do much either. To be honest, I don't think anything is failing. I think if you want a charger that doesn't get as hot, go buy an aftermarket one. Otherwise there is nothing wrong with the laptop.

I have a prototype 12" PB, but I've opened up the case and gutted it before to do some upgrades and compared it to an actual retail version, and they're pretty much the same. So, I think you're fine. :D

Tezzamacuser

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2012
Mine is the same exact way. Replacing your thermal paste won't do much either. To be honest, I don't think anything is failing. I think if you want a charger that doesn't get as hot, go buy an aftermarket one. Otherwise there is nothing wrong with the laptop.

I have a prototype 12" PB, but I've opened up the case and gutted it before to do some upgrades and compared it to an actual retail version, and they're pretty much the same. So, I think you're fine. :D

Ah thats fair enough performance never gets affected its currently running at 56 degrees. I'll worry if it starts affecting the system stability its not at the moment tho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.