PDA

View Full Version : What size monitor is this

Liquinn
Aug 19, 2012, 11:40 AM
Could someone tell me what size the monitor is? Thanks.

GermanyChris
Aug 19, 2012, 12:00 PM
Looks 23" to me..

Liquinn
Aug 19, 2012, 12:05 PM
Looks 23" to me..
It's weird how every G5 I've seen looks slightly different in other peoples set-ups

GermanyChris
Aug 19, 2012, 12:38 PM
It's weird how every G5 I've seen looks slightly different in other peoples set-ups

Yea, the fans look strange in that G5...

Computers like cars, bicycles, watches, and partners reflect a persons values. Mine sits on the adjacent desk a left arm reach away from the optical and in front a window to let the heat out..

Liquinn
Aug 19, 2012, 12:42 PM
Yea, the fans look strange in that G5...

Computers like cars, bicycles, watches, and partners reflect a persons values. Mine sits on the adjacent desk a left arm reach away from the optical and in front a window to let the heat out..
"Computers like cars, bicycles, watches, and partners reflect a persons values."

What do you mean? :P

GermanyChris
Aug 19, 2012, 12:56 PM
"Computers like cars, bicycles, watches, and partners reflect a persons values."

What do you mean? :P

On further reflection it looks like it has a G5 Jive in it which would explain the weird fans..

Nameci
Aug 19, 2012, 01:00 PM

That looks like a 23" same as mine. But for some reason, it looks bigger, maybe it is just how the picture is taken?

Liquinn
Aug 19, 2012, 01:02 PM
That is a 23" same as mine.
Any ideas where I can get one in the UK? :P

On further reflection it looks like it has a G5 Jive in it which would explain the weird fans..
What's a Jive? :P

Nameci
Aug 19, 2012, 01:06 PM
Any ideas where I can get one in the UK? :P

What's a Jive? :P

No idea where you can get from the UK, but even here in the US the prices are unreasonable for used ACD.

The link to the "Jive"...
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonnet%20Technologies/ENCG53HD/

The "Jive" can pack 3 hard drives, but you need a 4-port (because there is no 3-port) PCIe SATA card for it to work.

GermanyChris
Aug 19, 2012, 01:13 PM
This is a G5 Jive..

Never mind I don't read well..

No I don't know where to get them in the UK either..

I have the poor mans version 3 HDD's separated by foam core and 2way tape..
They're powered by molex to SATA and 2 AS media SATA Cards....

Liquinn
Aug 19, 2012, 01:13 PM
No idea where you can get from the UK, but even here in the US the prices are unreasonable for used ACD.

The link to the "Jive"...
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonnet%20Technologies/ENCG53HD/
The jive to me ruins the case, in a way.

Nameci
Aug 19, 2012, 01:18 PM
The jive to me ruins the case, in a way.

For the best solution which I have already tried and liked, is to install a PCIe eSATA card to the G5 and connect an eSATA external RAID.

Zeke D
Aug 19, 2012, 01:22 PM
For the best solution which I have already tried and liked, is to install a PCIe eSATA card to the G5 and connect an eSATA external RAID.

I didn't think there were any PCIe ports on a G5.

GermanyChris
Aug 19, 2012, 01:30 PM

The '05 versions are PCIe

Nameci
Aug 19, 2012, 01:57 PM

I have the late 2005 (which is the last version of powermac made) 2.5GHz Quad Powermac G5. Unfortunately, it has PCIe only expansion slots and PCIe graphics card.

There are more, cheaper and better choices for PCI/PCI-x Powermacs than the PCIe ones imho.

Liquinn
Aug 19, 2012, 02:06 PM
Looks like I might have to spend 350 UK pounds on a 23" Cinema Display :eek:

GermanyChris
Aug 19, 2012, 02:16 PM

They're 350 to 400 euro here..

Nameci
Aug 19, 2012, 02:47 PM

If you really wanted a complete setup... it is hobby, is it? And an expensive hobby.

Mine I have slowly completed the setup.

Before it is just a bare Powermac G5 quad with no hard disk and memory, parts included were an airport extreme card and bluetooth, the standard NVidia GeForce 6600 and a power cord when I bought it. As soon as it arrives I chucked 2 x 1GB sticks and it boots, from then on I have slowly rebuilt her.

Here are the bits and pieces I added into it.

1. 16 GB of OWC RAM (8 x 2GB)
2. 64 GB SSD Boot Drive (previously it was 2 x 64 GB on RAID0)
3. 512 MB NVidia Quadro FX4500
4. 1 TB WD Caviar Black partitioned for Data Storage and internal Time Machine
5. 1 2-port PCIe eSATA card from OWC
6. 1 TB Bufallo Drive Station for Backup of Everything connected to eSATA
7. iSight on Magentic Stand
8. Wired Mighty Mouse (Magic mouse is PITA to use when doing CAD work)
9. Apple Ultra Slim Wired Keyboard (to match the wired mighty mouse)
10. Apple Cinema Display 23"

Next in line is the Harman Kardon Soundsticks or B&W MM-1.

With those pieces put together, they cost the same as a Mac Pro, but then if I have bought the MP, I have missed the fun of putting a Powermac G5 together. I don't care if the Mac Pro is faster and more modern, as long as I enjoy what I am doing and I am more than satisfied with it, that is all that matters. At the end of the day it is my satisfaction that matters not any other person's satisfaction. This is what I need and this is what I want.

So go ahead, if money is not a brick wall on your path, satisfy yourself. Buy it if it suits your needs and your wants.

Liquinn
Aug 19, 2012, 02:50 PM
Woah nice, but when and if I buy the 23" Cinema Display, I'll want something else. :( It never ends. XD

Nameci
Aug 19, 2012, 02:58 PM
Right it never ends but for me there is this last item, if I will have the HK Soundsticks this month then this Powermac G5, I am done with it and will move on to another project.

Both of my Powermac G4 MDD DP FW800, has iSight, Apple Cinema Displays, Apple pro keyboards, Apple Pro Mice, PCI USB Cards and Apple Pro speakers to match.

My 2009 Mac Mini has its own Apple Cinema Display, wireless keyboard, iSight and Magic Mouse.

As much as possible I keep the all genuine setup. It is a collection.

Liquinn
Aug 19, 2012, 03:00 PM
Right it never ends but for me there is this last item, if I will have the HK Soundsticks this month then this Powermac G5, I am done with it and will move on to another project.

Both of my Powermac G4 MDD DP FW800, has iSight, Apple Cinema Displays, Apple pro keyboards, Apple Pro Mice, PCI USB Cards and Apple Pro speakers to match.

My 2009 Mac Mini has its own Apple Cinema Display, wireless keyboard, iSight and Magic Mouse.

As much as possible I keep the all genuine setup. It is a collection.
Is it worth me buying the 23" ACD or whatever monitor Apple brand I can use?

It's a damn shame I can't get a 24/27" Cinema LED Display to work on the G5 :( It sucks haha.

What Mac do you use the most and why? The G5? It'd be nice to have the full Apple set-up though. :):apple:

Nameci
Aug 19, 2012, 03:08 PM
Is it worth me buying the 23" ACD or whatever monitor Apple brand I can use?

It's a damn shame I can't get a 24/27" Cinema LED Display to work on the G5 :( It sucks haha.

What Mac do you use the most and why? The G5? It'd be nice to have the full Apple set-up though. :):apple:

First my apologies to the OP for the off topic replies.

Anyway, to continue on.

When I am back home the Powermac G5 quad got the most attention. The 2.3 dual core that it replaced is now sitting on the attic, if anything happens on my quad I can just replace it with the dual core.

Why? Because I really like using it, browsing the internet, emails and stuff. I can't seem to remember I have seen beach balls using the power mac. Illustrator opens on a single bounce, Final cut opens on 2 bounces. Almost everything is instant.

I have a mac mini and a macbook, I use the macbook when I am travelling because of the xp VM that I use for work. If not I will be lugging my powerbook all the time. My mac mini, well it is there as a media server and just there for trying new stuff. Most of the time it is asleep.

Liquinn
Aug 19, 2012, 03:09 PM
First my apologies to the OP for the off topic replies.

Anyway, to continue on.

When I am back home the Powermac G5 quad got the most attention. The 2.3 dual core that it replaced is now sitting on the attic, if anything happens on my quad I can just replace it with the dual core.

Why? Because I really like using it, browsing the internet, emails and stuff. I can't seem to remember I have seen beach balls using the power mac. Illustrator opens on a single bounce, Final cut opens on 2 bounces. Almost everything is instant.

I have a mac mini and a macbook, I use the macbook when I am travelling because of the xp VM that I use for work. If not I will be lugging my powerbook all the time. My mac mini, well it is there as a media server and just there for trying new stuff. Most of the time it is asleep.
No worries at all! :)

The person who I spoke to lowered the price of the 23" ACD down to 325... is this a fair deal? I'm not sure what this is in dollars.

I need that 23" ACD, then I can have a near complete set-up :P

325 seems awfully expensive, since for anoither 502 I could buy another Thunderbolt Display but I need this for my G5 ; thoughts?

Nameci
Aug 19, 2012, 03:11 PM
No worries at all! :)

The person who I spoke to lowered the price of the 23" ACD down to 325... is this a fair deal? I'm not sure what this is in dollars.

I need that 23" ACD, then I can have a near complete set-up :P

325 seems awfully expensive, since for anoither 502 I could buy another Thunderbolt Display but I need this for my G5 ; thoughts?

It is all up to you. For that kind of money, yes it is expensive. If you can hold and wait for a better deal then wait. You don't really need it, you only want it. You still have a monitor to hook up to it, am I right?

Have you watched the movie "The Big Year"... It is about a hobby of birding, and you can get some insights into it to control yourself from buying that ACD. Lol.

Liquinn
Aug 19, 2012, 03:12 PM
It is all up to you. For that kind of money, yes it is expensive. If you can hold and wait for a better deal then wait. You don't really need it, you only want it. You still have a monitor to hook up to it, am I right?
Yeah true, it does sound expensive. :( Apple products do hold their value, it'd be nice to have my 12th Apple product though. :D

I really want another G5 too.

This is cool, I really admire this set-up.

GermanyChris
Aug 19, 2012, 03:28 PM
If you really wanted a complete setup... it is hobby, is it? And an expensive hobby.

Mine I have slowly completed the setup.

Before it is just a bare Powermac G5 quad with no hard disk and memory, parts included were an airport extreme card and bluetooth, the standard NVidia GeForce 6600 and a power cord when I bought it. As soon as it arrives I chucked 2 x 1GB sticks and it boots, from then on I have slowly rebuilt her.

Here are the bits and pieces I added into it.

1. 16 GB of OWC RAM (8 x 2GB)
2. 64 GB SSD Boot Drive (previously it was 2 x 64 GB on RAID0)
3. 512 MB NVidia Quadro FX4500
4. 1 TB WD Caviar Black partitioned for Data Storage and internal Time Machine
5. 1 2-port PCIe eSATA card from OWC
6. 1 TB Bufallo Drive Station for Backup of Everything connected to eSATA
7. iSight on Magentic Stand
8. Wired Mighty Mouse (Magic mouse is PITA to use when doing CAD work)
9. Apple Ultra Slim Wired Keyboard (to match the wired mighty mouse)
10. Apple Cinema Display 23"

Next in line is the Harman Kardon Soundsticks or B&W MM-1.

With those pieces put together, they cost the same as a Mac Pro, but then if I have bought the MP, I have missed the fun of putting a Powermac G5 together. I don't care if the Mac Pro is faster and more modern, as long as I enjoy what I am doing and I am more than satisfied with it, that is all that matters. At the end of the day it is my satisfaction that matters not any other person's satisfaction. This is what I need and this is what I want.

So go ahead, if money is not a brick wall on your path, satisfy yourself. Buy it if it suits your needs and your wants.

I have more expensive hobbies..

Serotta Legend Frame & Fork: $5,895 plus parts

Colnago Master Frame and Fork: $3,199.99 plus parts

and that hobby isn't as expensive a photography..lenses are :eek:

maril1111
Aug 19, 2012, 03:33 PM
I have more expensive hobbies..

Serotta Legend Frame & Fork: $5,895 plus parts

Colnago Master Frame and Fork: $3,199.99 plus parts

and that hobby isn't as expensive a photography..lenses are :eek:

Sound systems (HQ Audio) and cars are more expensive as well but i do have to admit that technical stuff is probably the hobby where i upgrade the most, bikes and stuff i change every couple of years, other things take even longer and photography while having expensive lenses those last for a very very long time.

GermanyChris
Aug 19, 2012, 04:00 PM
Sound systems (HQ Audio) and cars are more expensive as well but i do have to admit that technical stuff is probably the hobby where i upgrade the most, bikes and stuff i change every couple of years, other things take even longer and photography while having expensive lenses those last for a very very long time.

Gotta remember that is frame and for only lets look at my Legend and hope my wife doesn't read this:

Frame $5200
Seat post $349
Stem $395
Group set $1200
Wheel set $900
Saddle $90
Bar tape $80
Bars $250
Tires $200
Head set $100

$8764

and thats just the first there are 3 others which are generally not as expensive are 3 to 5k each..

fortunately cars aren't my thing any more those got silly also..

the 3 thousand or so I have in computer pails to what I have invested in other things though the other things are built over time and the computer not.

But yes I do keep my bikes longer because I don't buy bleeding edge stuff just bespoke.

Liquinn
Aug 19, 2012, 05:50 PM

Have you watched the movie "The Big Year"... It is about a hobby of birding, and you can get some insights into it to control yourself from buying that ACD. Lol.
What's your opinion on this set-up? I think they're dual 23"s?

SuperJudge
Aug 19, 2012, 06:12 PM
What's your opinion on this set-up? I think they're dual 23"s?

Those look more like dual 20 inchers to me.

Lancer
Aug 21, 2012, 03:23 AM

Too me it looks like a 30".

I'm looking for a new 23-24 inch LCD for my Early 2005 G5 but don't want to pay a fortune for a used LCD. I'm looking at some of the new ones on the market right now but would love an Apple Cinema Display but I don't know which one will work with my G5?

This one on eBay looks good?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Apple-Cinema-HD-23-LCD-Monitor-/320965842633?pt=AU_comp_monitor&hash=item4abb0e16c9

AdrianK
Aug 21, 2012, 06:34 AM
Too me it looks like a 30".
This.

Just worked out the resolution to be 2453px wide based on the status bar (not an exact science due to parallax). That's way closer to the 30's 2560x1600 than the 23's 1920*1200.

I'm looking for a new 23-24 inch LCD for my Early 2005 G5 but don't want to pay a fortune for a used LCD. I'm looking at some of the new ones on the market right now but would love an Apple Cinema Display but I don't know which one will work with my G5?

This one on eBay looks good?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Apple-Cinema-HD-23-LCD-Monitor-/320965842633?pt=AU_comp_monitor&hash=item4abb0e16c9
If your graphics card has a DVI port (which IIRC all PMG5 cards do) then you can use that monitor.

Liquinn
Aug 21, 2012, 06:41 AM
This.

Just worked out the resolution to be 2453px wide based on the status bar (not an exact science due to parallax). That's way closer to the 30's 2560x1600 than the 23's 1920*1200.

If your graphics card has a DVI port (which IIRC all PMG5 cards do) then you can use that monitor.
Did you see a photo I photo I posted on my set-up? you'll see why I'm eager to find a monitor for my G5 if you see the photo of my set-up I posted yesterday ;P

Lancer
Aug 21, 2012, 04:46 PM

It the standard card from new (as far s I know) the ATI Radeon 9600 with 2 DVI connections and 128Mb of VRAM in the AGP slot.

I would love an Apple display but is it worth spending the same or more on a used Apple one compared to the same size or bigger NEW from another brand. I was amazed yesterday when I checked out some in a shop, so many now have dropped the DVI and now come with just HDMI or VGA, bit of a backward step IMO. Yes I know you can get an adapter but when convert and run through VGA when I have a DVI video card?