PDA

View Full Version : Old iBook that needs an AirPort card

igucl
Aug 7, 2005, 09:09 PM
Hello, everyone. I have a quick question here. I have a 700 Mhz G3 iBook and I want to put a wireless card in it. What I'm wondering is if it would be possible to put a third-party card in it, or if I'll need to get an AirPort card. Also, is it right that this model is only compatible with 802.11 b? Could I put a new AirPort Extreme card in it, or do I have to find a used regular AirPort?

Thanks for any information you have. :)

mad jew
Aug 7, 2005, 09:22 PM
Sorry but regular 802.11b AirPort cards are the only ones that'll fit. Your only alternative is a USB dongle, but I'd recommend the AirPort card. :)

TMA
Aug 8, 2005, 12:59 PM
Regular Airport cards were discontinued last year but you can still find them new from places that source them out as spare/engineer parts. They are often quite expensive though (we do them for 90)

rhodest
Aug 8, 2005, 01:10 PM
You have to do some searching for the original airport cards. The lowest I've seen from a store it $78 usd although i'm sure there are some cheaper than that.

iEdd
Aug 8, 2005, 04:36 PM
Your best bet is the 802.11b @ 11Mbps airport card..

Though a third party one could be alright. Either a USB dongle or a PCMCIA card. Though both of them will have a bulg sticking out of your computer at least a little bit.