Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gibonz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2012
Hi Folks,

Long time lurker and first post on the forum!

Always thought a confirm prompt just before sending a txt would be a good idea as ive near got caught out replying to people i didnt think i was sending the message i was typing to.

ie if i have a half typed out a reply to person A and dont send it and then phone goes to lock, another message comes in from person B and i unlock the phone to reply to that person B message, im actually typing in the person A convo. Its only at the last second i look at the name and see its different.

I know its no big deal but other phones ive had, had this feature just as a last measure to make sure u want to send the message. Hope ive explained it ok.

Just an idea!

Cheers

:D

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I think more people would complain about this feature than those who would want it. I've found that if you start typing a message (to person A)but don't send, it will still be there no matter what you do to the phone, save from shutting it down completely. So even if you came back to person A's text intending to go to person B's, the message you started to type to person A will still be there making me realize that quicker who I'm talking too.

I personally do not want redundancy added to iOS in this capacity. Just be more mindful of your surroundings. That's all that is needed here.

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
I think more people would complain about this feature than those who would want it. I've found that if you start typing a message (to person A)but don't send, it will still be there no matter what you do to the phone, save from shutting it down completely. So even if you came back to person A's text intending to go to person B's, the message you started to type to person A will still be there making me realize that quicker who I'm talking too.

I personally do not want redundancy added to iOS in this capacity. Just be more mindful of your surroundings. That's all that is needed here.

But for some reason Apple just won't add the option in settings for us. There are literally hundreds of little options like this that should absolutely, positively be options for iOS users but Apple unilaterally makes the decision for us.

This particular example doesn't bother me because I would disable it... but the fact that it isn't an available option to us doesn't make any sense. I'm sure there are thousands if not millions of users who would appreciate it. I guess the 50 lines of code it would take to implement is just too much.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I guess the 50 lines of code it would take to implement is just too much.

I think the question is, it worth it to apple to implement something that only thousands out of at least the 35 million who bought the latest iPhone would actually use? (Not counting those who did not upgrade to the latest iPhone)

I know there are already of lot of little features like this that I probably don't use and possibly a large majority of users don't use either. It seems like a largely unnecessary feature to add. I still feel this is something that should be the responsibility of the user to police him/herself of and not the responsibility of apple to add a feature because you didn't mean to send that inappropriate joke or picture to your mother in law.

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
England
I wouldn't mind the addition of a confirmation prompt for texts provided that it was optional and disabled by default - I'm sure a lot of users would like this.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Perhaps I'm alone in my feelings then. Well I guess the only thing you can do is send a note to apple about adding the feature and hope for the best.

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
The thing is, people will just get accustomed to hitting "confirm" and the same thing will happen anyway.

Really there's no value added over checking yourself before you hit send.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
they shouldn't have a confirm dialog; the send button should turn into a 'cancel' button for a few moments after it is hit. they can build in a 1-2 second delay and nobody would notice.

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
The thing is, people will just get accustomed to hitting "confirm" and the same thing will happen anyway.

Really there's no value added over checking yourself before you hit send.

i agree.
hitting a confirm button should be something way out of the ordinary, like a confirmation to a payment (in-app purchases) or purchases of apps - when there could be a possibility of an accidental click to an unwanted scenario.

jwingfie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2008
Athens, GA
I have accidentally sent a text or two in my day. On my old phone, if you pressed the end button while the text was "sending" it would cancel it. I personally wouldn't like having to confirm every single text I sent.

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
they shouldn't have a confirm dialog; the send button should turn into a 'cancel' button for a few moments after it is hit. they can build in a 1-2 second delay and nobody would notice.

This is much more likely than a confirm prompt.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK

That would be incredibly frustrating.

If I'm "holding my iPhone 4 wrong", then I want to know if that's caused a text to not be sent.

The inability of iOS to retry sending an SMS that's failed because of a signal dropout makes this even more of a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.