PDA

View Full Version : Thinking on buying another G5 possibly...

Liquinn
Aug 20, 2012, 08:37 AM
Hi, does anyone on here have two PowerMac G5s? Can those people share their experiences on their PowerMac G5s are running etc?

I'm thinking on buying another one; should I get the early 2005 one as I already have the late 2005 one?

Thanks.

GoCubsGo
Aug 20, 2012, 08:47 AM
I'm more curious ... why would you want a PowerMac now? Are you simply looking to collect older Apple computers?

Liquinn
Aug 20, 2012, 08:48 AM
I'm more curious ... why would you want a PowerMac now? Are you simply looking to collect older Apple computers?
Yeah. I own one Powermac G5 already; may buy another. Thoughts? :D

Zeke D
Aug 20, 2012, 08:52 AM
Yeah. I own one Powermac G5 already; may buy another. Thoughts? :D

I've got a dead iMac G5, a dead PMG5 and a semi-working PMG5. I should be getting my first fully working PMG5 soon.

papoopeepoo
Aug 20, 2012, 09:16 AM
The original memory sticks in my late 05 G5 recently failed, but it was easy enough to re-upgrade. Every Apple/Mac I have from all the way back to 87 still runs as it was designed, especially the G5. It is a bit loud sometimes under load, especially compared to my Mac Pro, but it's really a monster that was way ahead of its time.

They're a bit power hungry, so you might want to consider that if you plan to run your G5s 24/7. I do run my G5 24/7, headless, and it consumes roughly 180W-230W at any given time depending on how many AppleTVs or time machine backups are running to it. It handles everything I can throw at it.

Liquinn
Aug 20, 2012, 09:23 AM
The original memory sticks in my late 05 G5 recently failed, but it was easy enough to re-upgrade. Every Apple/Mac I have from all the way back to 87 still runs as it was designed, especially the G5. It is a bit loud sometimes under load, especially compared to my Mac Pro, but it's really a monster that was way ahead of its time.

They're a bit power hungry, so you might want to consider that if you plan to run your G5s 24/7. I do run my G5 24/7, headless, and it consumes roughly 180W-230W at any given time depending on how many AppleTVs or time machine backups are running to it. It handles everything I can throw at it.
Yeah I see, I won't be running it 24/7. Do you know if you have to have a Internet connection to VNC to a G5 from another Mac internally? Like, I want to VNC from a G5 from my Macbook Pro; will the G5 need the Internet for this to be done? So perhaps then I can VNC to one G5 and use one physically...

Zeke D
Aug 20, 2012, 09:23 AM

I have to run mine 24/7 otherwise it may not turn back on!

KingKen1986
Aug 20, 2012, 09:45 AM

Obviously you don't have a PowerMac G5.....or you would understand.:D:apple::D

Bug-Creator
Aug 20, 2012, 09:52 AM
Yeah I see, I won't be running it 24/7. Do you know if you have to have a Internet connection to VNC to a G5 from another Mac internally? Like, I want to VNC from a G5 from my Macbook Pro; will the G5 need the Internet for this to be done? So perhaps then I can VNC to one G5 and use one physically...

Aslong as both are on the same LAN there should be no issue with VNC (it's really just peer-2-peer) any data going in/out the internet would just suggest that either your VNC-client or server is malware-infested :p

ihuman:D
Aug 20, 2012, 10:00 AM

Because a G4+ mac beats the crap out of Pentium 4's which plenty of people still use. So there still perfectly usable today.

Liquinn
Aug 20, 2012, 10:13 AM
Because a G4+ mac beats the crap out of Pentium 4's which plenty of people still use. So there still perfectly usable today.
True that :P I guess there's going to have to come a point when I'm happy with what I have.