PDA

View Full Version : AirPort Card in MDD G4

NuMackUsr
Aug 20, 2012, 02:16 PM
Is a airport card for a PowerMac still worth getting? I see them rather cheap on eBay and upon testing Wireless B connections on my home router (by setting the router to Wireless B only mode) it seems as the Internet is just as fast as it is with Wireless G connection. If it helps any my Cable Internet is only 8Mbps connection speed.

Intell
Aug 20, 2012, 02:23 PM
The depending on which version of the MDD you have, it takes either the Airport B card or the Airport Extreme G card. The FW800 takes the Airport Extreme card. With the cable speed being only 8 megabits per seconds, there shouldn't be any problems with the internet. But network connections within the network between two of your computers will be slow with a maximum speed of 512 kilobytes per second and that is with the computer right next to the router.

NuMackUsr
Aug 20, 2012, 02:43 PM
The depending on which version of the MDD you have, it takes either the Airport B card or the Airport Extreme G card. The FW800 takes the Airport Extreme card. With the cable speed being only 8 megabits per seconds, there shouldn't be any problems with the internet. But network connections within the network between two of your computers will be slow with a maximum speed of 512 kilobytes per second and that is with the computer right next to the router.

Ok thank you for that. I am not sure which type of AirPort it takes. How can I tell just by looking?

Intell
Aug 20, 2012, 02:44 PM
Look at the back. If the machine has a FireWire 800 port, it takes the Extreme. If it only have FireWire 400, it takes the original Airport.

NuMackUsr
Aug 20, 2012, 02:48 PM
Look at the back. If the machine has a FireWire 800 port, it takes the Extreme. If it only have FireWire 400, it takes the original Airport.

How strong is the connection on a AirPort card? The router is in the center of the house and my room (where the MDD is) is on the other side of the house using a PCI wireless on my Windows machine i had to get a antenna extender because the signal of it was only 1Mbps while the antenna was conneted to the card under my desk.

Intell
Aug 20, 2012, 02:50 PM
I've never really tested a PowerMac G4's Airport B card, but my Cube's Airport is really good and it apparently has "bad" reception.

NuMackUsr
Aug 20, 2012, 02:55 PM
I've never really tested a PowerMac G4's Airport B card, but my Cube's Airport is really good and it apparently has "bad" reception.

I see that MDDs have the antenna wire for connecting the APC but where does the antenna go? I know sticking a USB wireless into a USB port of the same windows machine don't help much.

Intell
Aug 20, 2012, 02:56 PM
It routes to one or two internal WiFi antenna.

NuMackUsr
Aug 20, 2012, 03:13 PM
It routes to one or two internal WiFi antenna.

Thanks for your info. I have Wireless cards that should work so Ill get back to you.