PDA

View Full Version : My PB Died a hero...

Palad1
Aug 8, 2005, 04:24 AM
Hello everyone,

Today is a sad day, my old pal Bender just passed away while saving the hard work of an innocent victim, it's a sad day because my powerbook died, making a hero of itself...

I was helping an artist friend of mine with his website. One night he came up to me with a blank face saying 'I think I lost all the pictures of my works, I don't have the negatives, only this CD which my (crappy) dell can't read anymore, please help me"!

So, I whipped-up bender, carefully inspected the data side of the CD my friend gave me, wiped it in order to remove the scratches & dust, and introduced it in my trusty old friend, who promptly backed-up the cherished data, with much appreciation from my friend (a future switcher, no doubt).

I then pressed the eject button and something hit me : I carefully checked and cleaned the DATA side, but what about the OTHER side?

My worst fears came true when I heard the grinding noise my superdrive made while ejecting the CD...

The little fscker had a small label hand-glued on it. :eek: :eek: :eek:

For the next two weeks my pb made strange noises while reading cds, then it stopped, and after that... I got two kernel panics in a row, and this morning, lo and behold... A question mark and a finder icon at booting time, yay apple, even BSOD are stylish :(

Booted hardware test -> here what I got the first two times: 2stf/8/3:ATA-100 ata-6 - Master

Third time all I got was a corrupted boot screen (grey screen with the apple logo, with lots of garbaged lines)

Fourth time, hardware tests did not even recognize the hard drive...

Now I'm crossing fingers for applecare (bought the 3 year app thingie but forgot to register. DOH')

So this is how Bender (rev.c pb 15 bto maxed-out, panther) died a hero. I will miss you.

Question is :

Shall I bring it back to life when applecare sends its "shiny metal a$$' back or should I bring 'Flexo' online running Tiger?

If anyone had the same misfortune, please share...

I think the label got stuck on some part of the airflow system and all hell broke loose...

MacHarne
Aug 8, 2005, 06:28 AM
Shall I bring it back to life when applecare sends its "shiny metal a$$' back or should I bring 'Flexo' online running Tiger?
AppleCare accepted your machine even though it wasn't registered? That's surprising, unless you were still within the one year of free service.

And your Rev C PB should still be great once you get it back (and don't have further problems). Install Tiger on it and move on. Panther is soooo Pre-April 2005. :p

andiwm2003
Aug 8, 2005, 06:42 AM
how do I actually check if i registered my PB and my iPod with Applecare?
and how do i prove that i registered?

btw. sorry for you PB. i hope it all works out fine.

andi

prostuff1
Aug 8, 2005, 07:29 AM

andi

I got a confirmation e-mail that said my computer had been registered. I had to take my applecare stuff and go onto the website and do a few things but it was pretty painless.

emotion
Aug 8, 2005, 07:57 AM
hehe my powerbook is called bender too :)

Palad1
Aug 8, 2005, 08:01 AM
AppleCare accepted your machine even though it wasn't registered? That's surprising, unless you were still within the one year of free service.

And your Rev C PB should still be great once you get it back (and don't have further problems). Install Tiger on it and move on. Panther is soooo Pre-April 2005. :p
;)

I bought my applecare with my powerbook, i didn't know I had to do anything else to get it working...

I'll get the final answer tomorrow I guess.

Bubbasteve
Aug 8, 2005, 08:04 AM

btw. sorry for you PB. i hope it all works out fine.

andi

I believe there is an applecare check on apple's website under support... it should be on the right hand side. You simply type in the serial number and it should say the days left of insurance you have.... if it says 0 then it's not looking like Apple CDare will be helping your old friend

andiwm2003
Aug 8, 2005, 08:16 AM
;)

I bought my applecare with my powerbook, i didn't know I had to do anything else to get it working...

I'll get the final answer tomorrow I guess.

i did the same. my sales reciect says that apple care is for my PB with this particular serial number and it says that it is valid through march 2007. so i guess i don't have to to anything more. same should be in your case. so you should be fine.

andi

Palad1
Aug 8, 2005, 03:30 PM
i did the same. my sales reciect says that apple care is for my PB with this particular serial number and it says that it is valid through march 2007. so i guess i don't have to to anything more. same should be in your case. so you should be fine.

andi

Andi,

register,

now!

It takes 3 $!@{!! days for apple to register a product... so that's three more days without your beloved machine.

DOH'

NEENAHBOY
Aug 8, 2005, 06:06 PM
Funny, I call my PB Brooke.