Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tpalermo30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
The reason I am asking is it has not been updated in like 400 days. I was going to buy a Mac Mini but I can't see buying with the current models more than a year old. I'm just wondering if Apple is going to make this model anymore?

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
It's expected to come out in the next few months. 400 days is not unheard of. Apple releases products in a way that makes sense for their business. (See Apple is the most valuable company on the planet)

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
iDevices are Apple's primary cash cow. They get the most headlines & continue to provide the bragging rights Apple loves. Everything else is secondary. They'll get around to it eventually. Or not :)

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
I seriously doubt Apple would want to update the Mini before the iMac, so since a refreshed iMac hasn't been released yet the Mini hasn't been refreshed either.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The Mini has had a longer time between refreshes before at 574 days. Even when the Macbook was getting updates that the Mini should have gotten, it wasn't updated.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Definitely wait to buy one. Also remember, around 2009 it went almost 2 years without being updated. It was still running on the Core 2 Duo chip with the old GMA 950 Intel graphics (which was about 3-4 years old in 2009) until they came out with the Nvidia model.
If you need one, buy it, but if your computer works fine and you can wait a few more months, do it.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
The next one comes in 2013. So choose for a long wait, or a perfect computer right now. And it won't give dramatic performance increase. Apple will shrink it instead of make it a lot faster.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
The next one comes in 2013. So choose for a long wait, or a perfect computer right now. And it won't give dramatic performance increase. Apple will shrink it instead of make it a lot faster.

Don't make statements that are just your guesses. Your post should read:

"I doubt the next one will come before 2013, so guide yourself accordingly. And I don't think it will give dramatic performance increase. I believe Apple will shrink it instead of making it a lot faster. But keep in mind I don't work for Apple, and have no more information than you do, but like to act as if I do."

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Don't make statements that are just your guesses. Your post should read:

"I doubt the next one will come before 2013, so guide yourself accordingly. And I don't think it will give dramatic performance increase. I believe Apple will shrink it instead of making it a lot faster. But keep in mind I don't work for Apple, and have no more information than you do, but like to act as if I do."

It's what Blanka has been stating for the last who knows how long as if it is Fact. Frankly, I haven't seen any "expert" state 2013. All seem to think it is this fall. I think she is just stating 2013 so IF it happens she can be all "see I told you so!"....

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
It's what Blanka has been stating for the last who knows how long as if it is Fact. Frankly, I haven't seen any "expert" state 2013. All seem to think it is this fall. I think she is just stating 2013 so IF it happens she can be all "see I told you so!"....

And I don't care if it is 2013 - but when someone comes looking for information it's really cruddy to pretend to know something and actually be talking out of your ventilation slot.

analogkid

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2003
Savannah
The poor Mini has to defer to the MacBooks it shares components with, and the iMac it could potentially cannibalize. My guess? Oct-Apr... lol, obviously I don't work for Apple either. The positive side of a longer wait is that it may very well show up with ac class wifi.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
did you see the front page headlines. they are removing minis from apple store displays to make more room for ipads. if they were going to release a mini any time soon they would not do that. I expect next year first quarter sometime.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
1. We now have old and new MBPs which seems a real fudge. In the past Apple would have been bold and simply jumped onto the new technology and dumped the old MBP.

2. The MBA seems confused. Are they planning to merge the MBA and MBP as some have rumoured or keep the 2 distinct product lines?

3. Tim Cook says that they have something very interesting for Pro customers next year. He didn't actually say it would be a new Mac Pro though. It could be an entirely new product or an iMac Pro.

4. What happens to the iMac and Mac Mini in the meantime - are they getting a spec bump this year or do we have to wait until next year now?

5. Software seems to have fallen off the agenda. Aperture and Final Cut received updates purely to promote the new retina MBP rather than to add new features. iWork seems to have totally dropped of the radar.

I'm not really sure Apple knows were it's going with the Mac anymore.

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
4. What happens to the iMac and Mac Mini in the meantime - are they getting a spec bump this year or do we have to wait until next year now?

We just don't know, but every day without an update brings us closer to having to wait until 2013. I've taken the snarky perspective now that there won't be an iMac refresh until 2013, or possibly that the iMac will be EOLed, for the simple reason that it's not the outcome I want, and therefore it must be what is going to happen. (shrug)

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
More like a standing 8 count. I think and this is pure speculation, but you may see a merge between the mac mini and atv.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
Has the next generation mac mini, if there is one, been showing up in any of the Benchmarks? The next generation MP, 13" rMBP and iMac have been, I don't normally follow the Mac Mini forum so I apologize if I have missed it.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Has the next generation mac mini, if there is one, been showing up in any of the Benchmarks? The next generation MP, 13" rMBP and iMac have been, I don't normally follow the Mac Mini forum so I apologize if I have missed it.
No t hasn't, though the iMac did a few months ago.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
I have a feeling that the Mini is dead. The iMac might be on it's last legs too.

No, the iMac is a market segment leader. The iMac has amazing Apple stuff that can be applied to it, like Retina. The Mac Mini is a low margin, low power product. The Mac Mini is in no way connected to iMac.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
They will release the Mini with the iMac. they were releaseing MacMinis mid-year, but the iMac delay in production delaiyed the release of the mini as for this year Apple is updating eerything by class...apparently at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.