Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applehippy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2012
  • more icons
  • widgets
  • dedicated notification space
  • quick web search

presuming the leaked images are true and we do get a longer screen what do u guys think the extra space on top/bottom will be used for while on the home screen? id like to think they would use it to put something other than more icons, but dont really see that happening... what do u think?

also what would you use the extra space for if given the chance?

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Gosh I'd be so impressed I'd be speechless for days.

Once recovered I might view a movie to see what's it's like on the huge new widescreen iPhone.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
The main reason I would like a larger screen would be to make it easier to type in portrait mode. Since the width of the screen looks to be unchanged, I think I'll be sitting his generation out unless those extra vertical pixels turn out to be for something really cool. And no, being able to watch a movie in 16:9 ratio definitely does not count. Ever since I got an iPad, my iPhone has been my movie player of last resort (especially with the atrocious battery life of the 4S).

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
  • quick web search

I'm not sure Apple wants to encourage users to google, though. They'd much rather you ask Siri for information, which will search google as a last resort.

If Apple moved Spotlight to the top row of the first home screen, I may be inclined to use it more (think how search is at the top of Launchpad). This would also free up a page to the left of the home screen for another use if Apple saw fit.

They'll probably just add another row of icons, though.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Dedicated multitasking bar? No more awkward double-clicking of the home button to switch between running apps.

With the bar always visible at the bottom of the screen (even when apps are using the remainder of the screen to run in iOS's traditional full-screen mode) swapping between recent apps would be easy, obvious and instantaneous. It would work a bit like tabbed browsing - but with the tabs on the bottom and presented as app icons.

Last edited:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
What if Apple *gasp* gave the user options for that space based on their own preferences!

Row of icons
Multitasking tray
Spotlight
Volume
Brightness
Weather
Stock ticker
Tweet/FB buttons
bt/wifi/airplane controls
Etc

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Not sure how well the dedicated multi-tasking area would work. I imagine it'd be incredible annoying if you were pulled out of an app because part of your thumb/finger accidentally clipped the app switcher.

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Not sure how well the dedicated multi-tasking area would work. I imagine it'd be incredible annoying if you were pulled out of an app because part of your thumb/finger accidentally clipped the app switcher.

I agree. It also totally negates the larger screen, as it would always be showing the multi-tasking tray. I think Apple will probably use a slide-in gesture from the bottom to open the multitasking tray instead. It just makes more sense.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA

That's a really good point.

However, because switching will be instantaneous (with no time-sucking animation) you'd be able to immediately switch back to where you were. Minimal annoyance - just like tabbed browsing.

Alternatively, put the multitasking tray at the top of the screen. As a design precedent, this is exactly where Apple puts the "Tap to return to call" function when you temporarily step out of an active phone call. That's fast multi-tasking of a sort, yes?

Last edited:

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
They could put the Audio controls and portrait lock there, then you could swipe left or right. (Bring up task switcher and swipe left to right.)

So to switch tasks you would swipe, then choose. It could go back to the audio after that.

Better yet, they could make the already existing tray allow you to swipe to get to audio and tasks instead of making you double click.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
As a developer, I plan to use the extra space to display additional ads in all my apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.