PDA

View Full Version : Macromedia announces Studio 8

MacBytes
Aug 8, 2005, 09:20 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Macromedia announces Studio 8 (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050808092003)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
Aug 8, 2005, 09:22 AM
first off - sorry about the yelling.

WHERE THE @#$%^&*( IS FREEHAND?

In the war of graphics programs, apparently in the buyout Adobe has won with Illustrator, leaving many graphic designers (myself included) sobbing at the loss of Freehand. While they did roughly the same thing, Freehand was a whole lot easier to learn, use, understand, etc.

Freehand is dead. Long live Freehand.

mainstreetmark
Aug 8, 2005, 10:46 AM
Hopefully the MX2004 to 8 for Dreamweaver, will have more improvements than the MX to MX2004. I've become increasingly annoyed at Dreamweaver, recently, and the 2004 upgrade from a year ago has never helped. :(

Good News! They fixed the nightmarish FTP installation, so it saves in the background. Had they had this feature 2 years ago, I wouldn't have wasted a cumulative month of my life waiting for things to upload.

grubesteak
Aug 8, 2005, 10:59 AM
I, too, have been increasingly upset with Dreamweaver. But hopefully this will bring tabbed windows to DW on the Mac, and I can stop saying, "Dreamweaver is much better on a PC than on a Macintosh." It kills me to say it, but it's true.

Captain Canuck
Aug 8, 2005, 11:04 AM

My feelings exactly!

And why bother upgrading when next year all the apps will be intergrated into Adobe. Actually, that's probably a good reason to upgrade -- before Adobe F's things up.

paulypants
Aug 8, 2005, 11:13 AM
My feelings exactly!

And why bother upgrading when next year all the apps will be intergrated into Adobe. Actually, that's probably a good reason to upgrade -- before Adobe F's things up.

Not surprising...

I'm just glad I use Illustrator over Freehand :P

nagromme
Aug 8, 2005, 11:28 AM
My old animosity toward toward Macromedia ended a couple years back when prices dropped a bit, bundles started working out in my favor instead of the reverse, and best of all: Director MX 2004 gained the ability to make Windows apps!

But I skip every other upgrade or so of all my apps--which saves me a lot!

I think it's finally time to upgrade my Macromedia stuff. I'll wait for word on Rosetta-friendliness though.

I like DW MX just fine but I've heard complaints about 2004--I hope they are cleared up now.

As for Freehand--that's my app of choice too!

Mr. Anderson
Aug 8, 2005, 11:37 AM
Curious to see a new Flash Pro - I figured it would have been a while longer with the Adobe merger.

I see that they're touting better video integration with the new version - wasn't that what they've been touting for the past several revs?

D

Kelesis
Aug 8, 2005, 11:55 AM
I, too, have been increasingly upset with Dreamweaver. But hopefully this will bring tabbed windows to DW on the Mac, and I can stop saying, "Dreamweaver is much better on a PC than on a Macintosh." It kills me to say it, but it's true.
It has been confirmed on the Macromedia forums that this version does indeed have tabs for the Mac.

mainstreetmark
Aug 8, 2005, 12:04 PM
It has been confirmed on the Macromedia forums that this version does indeed have tabs for the Mac.

Seconded!

And also, collapsing code, which could be nice.

And the obligatory rambling about XML, just like the rambling about CSS in the first MX.

And, it's nice to see they've abandoned the "MX" notation and went back to good ol' major revision numbers!

I can't work out if you can download it immediately. It says pre-order, and I get that CD's ship in September, but are downloads available immediately, or do they "ship" you a hyperlink in september? Can anyone see what's going on?

bousozoku
Aug 8, 2005, 12:10 PM
first off - sorry about the yelling.

In the war of graphics programs, apparently in the buyout Adobe has won with Illustrator, leaving many graphic designers (myself included) sobbing at the loss of Freehand. While they did roughly the same thing, Freehand was a whole lot easier to learn, use, understand, etc.

Freehand is dead. Long live Freehand.

Yes, Aldus is officially dead now after two Adobe mergers. PhotoStyler died a long time ago when it was still part of Freehand Studio 7 as xRes.

It's typical of Adobe to get rid of the better application. We know that Illustrator will never support multiple page documents because its documents are pure PostScript in memory.

Kelesis
Aug 8, 2005, 12:25 PM
You can't download it yet. The forums mentioned that a trial version will be coming, but there's no date. It'll probably be closer to the mid-September release date. I can't wait.

2GMario
Aug 8, 2005, 12:27 PM
while everyone is complaining about freehand not being there, what about the versioning ?

mx, mx 2004, and now 8 ?

thats cute

-Mario

Zoboomafoo
Aug 8, 2005, 01:28 PM
while everyone is complaining about freehand not being there, what about the versioning ?

mx, mx 2004, and now 8 ?

thats cute

-Mario

seems like a transition borne either out of 'there isn't much difference between 2004 and 2005' or 'wow, maybe we shouldn't have confused people with our "mx" version idea'

nagromme
Aug 8, 2005, 01:53 PM
I'm not panicking about Freehand yet.

Haven't there always been TWO Macromedia bundles (if not more), and one of them (Studio?) ALWAYS lacked Freehand?

Maybe the next Freehand's simply not ready to announce yet, so that other new bundle's not being announced yet either.

bousozoku
Aug 8, 2005, 01:58 PM
I'm not panicking about Freehand yet.

Haven't there always been TWO Macromedia bundles (if not more), and one of them (Studio?) ALWAYS lacked Freehand?

Maybe the next Freehand's simply not ready to announce yet, so that other new bundle's not being announced yet either.

I keep hoping, since Flash's interface is based upon Freehand, that Flash Pro 8 contains a print interface equivalent to Freehand's functionality.

Otherwise, it looks like Canvas is going to get some new business.

yellow5
Aug 8, 2005, 02:14 PM
Freehand wasn't even (really) updated for the MX 2004 version of Studio. So I'm not suprised that they aren't updating it again. Especially when Illustrator is a far better product.

grubesteak
Aug 8, 2005, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'm ready to purchase now, then.

frogbat
Aug 8, 2005, 04:26 PM
i hope tabbed windows come across the apps on the mac - a feature i really find invaluable on windows which i use at work

i get by with fireworks thanks to expose' but the UI on the macromedia apps is still better on Windows

any chance of knowing whether the timeline in flash supports mouse scrollwheels on the mac?

asif786
Aug 8, 2005, 05:04 PM
i don't really like the new numbering system..kinda weird imho..

anyway, aside from that it looks like a nice update. there's always little tidbits that speed up your day a little - hopefully the new macromedia apps have lots!

i do sometimes wonder though -- am i the only person that still uses fireworks? photoshop has always seemed waay to complex for me (i dont use filters or anything..just simple web design tools - crop, export, etc) and i love fireworks. long may it live!

bousozoku
Aug 8, 2005, 05:16 PM
i don't really like the new numbering system..kinda weird imho..

anyway, aside from that it looks like a nice update. there's always little tidbits that speed up your day a little - hopefully the new macromedia apps have lots!

i do sometimes wonder though -- am i the only person that still uses fireworks? photoshop has always seemed waay to complex for me (i dont use filters or anything..just simple web design tools - crop, export, etc) and i love fireworks. long may it live!

You really should use ImageReady for the web tools on photos instead of using Photoshop.

joepunk
Aug 8, 2005, 05:27 PM
Besides not being surprized by the lack of Freehand, I was not expecting an update like this, nor the change to an Adobe style numbering system. I guess that the change in numbering could be for those who use Adobe products more. Then again maybe not, what do I know :rolleyes:

Kind of sad that Freehand was not included as it was easier for me to use in conjunction with Flash.

But, I am perfectly fine with my Student MX2004 bundle and am not going to upgrade for quite sometime.

Nermal
Aug 8, 2005, 07:14 PM
Good News! They fixed the nightmarish FTP installation, so it saves in the background. Had they had this feature 2 years ago, I wouldn't have wasted a cumulative month of my life waiting for things to upload.

Yay! :D

and I can stop saying, "Dreamweaver is much better on a PC than on a Macintosh." It kills me to say it, but it's true.

I've never said that. But then again, I've only ever used DW on Mac :)

mduser63
Aug 9, 2005, 01:43 AM
Everybody complaining about Freehand should calm down. From macworld.com:

“FreeHand continues to be an important and successful product for the company and we will continue to sell, support and maintain it as a standalone product,” said Guerard.

Guerard is Vice President of Product Management and Marketing at Macromedia.

I'm planning to upgrade to this new version of Studio (from MX), and I'm actually glad they're including Contribute. I'm not really sure what Flashpaper is for.

bousozoku
Aug 9, 2005, 01:48 AM
Everybody complaining about Freehand should calm down. From macworld.com:

Guerard is Vice President of Product Management and Marketing at Macromedia.

I'm planning to upgrade to this new version of Studio (from MX), and I'm actually glad they're including Contribute. I'm not really sure what Flashpaper is for.

FlashPaper allows a Flash presentation to be exported to .pdf format. Unfortunately, they've seen fit to only produce it for Windows.

Platform
Aug 9, 2005, 04:00 AM
looks good but as said freehand :o

Oh well hope they will use Dreamweaver insted of GoLive ;)

Bakey
Aug 9, 2005, 04:49 AM
FlashPaper allows a Flash presentation to be exported to .pdf format. Unfortunately, they've seen fit to only produce it for Windows.

FlashPaper is a format in its own right [well a subset of SWF]; the application produces both PDF as well as FlashPaper SWF's. You're not missing out on anything as it's slow and horrible to navigate around a FlashPaper document.

But it does allow for integration with Director without the need to purchase any special Xtras... but personally I've always stuck with PDF for speed!

Bakey
Aug 9, 2005, 05:19 AM
You really should use ImageReady for the web tools on photos instead of using Photoshop.

Just out of curiosity have you used/compared Fireworks along side ImageReady?

I'm asking as Fireworks is so much better at compression and optimisation -- I remember using ImageReady as it integrates very well with Photoshop, but after reviewing my options and upon viewing comparisons with Fireworks in respect of quality ImageReady is very much at the back of cupboard!

frogbat
Aug 9, 2005, 09:40 AM
fireworks is my fave tool - whatever site i start - i start it out there

moving to photoshop only for complex layer blends (which seems to be oen of the new features in fw 8)

only thing i'd like to see improved is the speed at which it handles larger files

i work with a lot of print res files i import to resize for web - pshop is quicker at that

fireworks has the edge over image ready because its uses proper vctor objects which i can copy and paste into flash and they still remain as vectors

nagromme
Aug 9, 2005, 01:28 PM
To follow up on what I said about bundles... according to a Macromedia quote at MacInTouch today, this IS the bundle that used to include Freehand. (I hadn't bought a bundle with Freehand since FH 10 first came out, myself. But I still like it enough to get a new version of it--if it runs on Rosetta.)

There may still be other bundles, and it sounds like Freehand lives on standalone anyway.

zim
Aug 10, 2005, 08:40 AM
I think that this is it... what Adobe is going to keep from Macromedia, I bet that is why Freehand was left out. Isn't the merger suppose to be complete now in less then a year? I know that Adobe sent out web surveys to some users, I participated in it. The survey was, in my opinion, trying to figure out if I use Dreamweaver more or GoLive and what on the web I do... video, graphics, coding, etc...

Studio 8 looks better then MX04. MX04 was a waste of money, in my opinion. Out of all the software in Studio 8, I would say that DW looks the best, Flash looks good too but I think that this version of Flash with filters etc... is way over due. Will I upgrade, most likely not for a while, don't see the need. Fewer and fewer of my clients want Flash and I am finding that to be okay with me because my personal work has shifted to accessibility and web standards.