Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irock101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Hey,

I am on 10.8 and got 16GB DDR and an SSD. All my applications are fast but the internal MAIL client is incredibly slow. I got around 7000 messages in it and when i switch my spaces it takes a few seconds for the space with mail to load. After that Mail is unresponsive for another few seconds and totally laggs. Scrolling through emails is extremely slow too.
Is there any fix? I dont want an alternative mail client, but if i have to go that route please recommend me an adequate alternative.

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
Try typing this in your terminal (exit Mail before!):

/usr/bin/sqlite3 ~/Library/Mail/Envelope\ Index vacuum

It cleans up the Mail database. Doesn't delete any of your mail (in case your worry)

martosprint

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
I don't know if this is the problem but are all those 7,000 emails in your inbox?
I've always read that one shouldn't keep too many emails in the inbox because that can cause problems. If they are in your inbox you should make a separate folder to store them. One more thing you can try is rebuilding your inbox and other folders also by going clicking on "mailbox" on the menu bar and go down to rebuild at the bottom of the drop down box. It may or not help in your situation, but I thought I would suggest it anyway. 

irock101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Nothing helped so far. All other mail clients i saw wont do the trick for me. Sparrow / Postbox.. me no like :rolleyes:

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Check the memory usage in activity monitor. When the Mail app has been running for a few days, it's eats up a lot of memory and becomes laggy. Just quit the app and reopen it and it should be nice and snappy. Thats my experience anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.