Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Hey all.
I bought a MBA on June the 13th and therefore I had access to a free copy of Mountain Lion through the Apple Store.

I downloaded it and made a fresh install and everything went fine. Now my question. When I bought Lion, I learned that I could use it on 5 different machines, but I don't know if this applies to this copy of mountain lion. I have a Mid2010 Mini running Lion and I'd like to upgrade to Mountain Lion (if I don't have to buy a new copy just for it).

Thanks!!

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I don't know the specific answer to whether Apple technically gives you permission. But I'm in the same boat (although I haven't installed ML on any machine), it seems that if I go to the app store on my '10 iMac, ML is available to download and (presumably) install.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
If its in the App Store under purchased you can install it on any of your machines.

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Since it's a download from the App Store it has the same rights as any other purchase. You can install it on all your personal macs.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Thanks guys!

EDIT: This question came to my mind when I registered for the copy. There was an option of "Licenses" and number of copies or something like that... and if you chose more than one you had to enter all the serial numbers of the computers. That's the reason why I was doubting...

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
EDIT: This question came to my mind when I registered for the copy. There was an option of "Licenses" and number of copies or something like that... and if you chose more than one you had to enter all the serial numbers of the computers. That's the reason why I was doubting...

That's only for the up to date program - it has nothing to do with the licensing of OSX or anything - it's just if you need to process more than one up to date order since you may want to do that for whatever reasons (gifting perhaps)

dasx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
That's only for the up to date program - it has nothing to do with the licensing of OSX or anything - it's just if you need to process more than one up to date order since you may want to do that for whatever reasons (gifting perhaps)

Ah I see. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.