Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaKKs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
I have a G4 MDD that seems to be allergic to the X800XT I'm trying to get bit to run. The flash is good and the card works in a G5, the pins have been taped but i still just get a black screen. I have no idea what might be the issue, so I'm turning to a force greater than myself, the internet. Ideas anyone?

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I have a G4 MDD that seems to be allergic to the X800XT I'm trying to get bit to run. The flash is good and the card works in a G5, the pins have been taped but i still just get a black screen. I have no idea what might be the issue, so I'm turning to a force greater than myself, the internet. Ideas anyone?

Because something is known good on a different computer doesn't make it good on yours..I've never heard of an x800 on a G4 working but then I'm just a guy here who plays with old computers.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland

Which output you did test? If it's real X800, not FireGL X3 flashed to X800, it will give only analog signal via D-Sub. Another thing: do you have ATI Displays 4.5.7 installed on this MDD?

DaKKs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
What exact model is that X800XT ?

I have no idea. 256mb, that I know.

Which output you did test? If it's real X800, not FireGL X3 flashed to X800, it will give only analog signal via D-Sub. Another thing: do you have ATI Displays 4.5.7 installed on this MDD?

No, I do not. But that would give me a **** resolution, not no signal at all. And i tested every port available, VGA, DVI and S-video.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
I have no idea. 256mb, that I know.

Post pic of the card please.

No, I do not. But that would give me a **** resolution, not no signal at all. And i tested every port available, VGA, DVI and S-video.

It depends on OS and ROM used with card. All of FGL X3 I've flashed were giving no signal in 10.4 and grayscale video in 10.5 without ATI Display installed. After that all was as it should. All of this with reduced 64k ROM. ATI Displays isn't only driver and preference pane, it also installs ATI ROM Extender which is required to run cards that use reduced ROMs.

DaKKs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Post pic of the card please.
Pardon the quality. Mobile is the best I can do since I don't own a digital camera.
IMG_20120822_092020.jpg

IMG_20120822_092048.jpg

IMG_20120822_092057.jpg

It depends on OS and ROM used with card. All of FGL X3 I've flashed were giving no signal in 10.4 and grayscale video in 10.5 without ATI Display installed. After that all was as it should. All of this with reduced 64k ROM. ATI Displays isn't only driver and preference pane, it also installs ATI ROM Extender which is required to run cards that use reduced ROMs.

Ah, I see. Well, the seller said I'd need it to run anything above SVGA, otherwise it should work. Anyway, I'm pretty new with legit Mac's not to mention mac modifications, so pardon my ignorance.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
OK, so one thing is clear: it will output video only via D-Sub, because it's real X800, not the Fire.
So: try ATI Displays 4.5.7 first - if it isn't an issue it won't hurt. If it won't help, try 2 more basic troubleshooting methods:
- triple check pin taping (do you hear "chime" sound BTW?)
- login to your MDD remotely (via ssh or VNC) - if you have another Mac by the hand, and see if card is properly recognized in System Profiler.

DaKKs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Yeah, i hear the chime. EDIT: Tried again. The OS loads successfully.
As for another mac, i have a G3 Pismo and a Thinkpad T42, both running 10.4.11. Best i can do until early september.

Last edited:

DaKKs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
I'm gonna give VNC/SSH a go this afternoon, cause this ain't working. Unless i'm missing something, this thing doesn't seem to be compatible with the card. Wich is weird, beacuse the x800 and MDD combo is confirmed working.

Might it be because of some firmware issue on the MDD? I know older macs had to update their firmware in order to run a newer OS. I bought this thing from someone who didn't even knew what type of computer it was. its probably running the oldest firmware possible.

Last edited:

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Might it be because of some firmware issue on the MDD? I know older macs had to update their firmware in order to run newer a OS. I bought this thing from someone who didn't even knew what type of computer it was. its probably running the oldest firmware possible.

Nope. That is not the case.
If you'll get VNC working you can dump ROM off the card. Use Graphiccelerator to do it. You'll find "ATIMulti Dumper" app in ATI utilities folder. Upload ROM here, I'll take a look on it.

From what you wrote, it looks to me like bad card (or D-Sub port), bad flash or even unflashed card. I presume that you didn't see this card working in G5 personally? It's info from the seller, right?

Edit: you might reset PRAM if you didn't try this already, but I doubt that it will help.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.