Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Wow I can't believe I actually did this.
Last week thursday my iPhone 4 died and I was presented to use up my upgrade to get a replacement of either the iPhone 4 or 4S.
This being so close to the iPhone 5 coming out was totally out of the question.
so i started to look online and came across a good deal of the Galaxy Note and I had always wanted a huge screen so I went for it.
However the phone had a problem with the speaker and no ringer sound so I took it back and the guy made me an incredible deal on a HTC One X.
Keep in mind that I have been on the iPhone since 2007 when the first one was released by Apple.

Well this is what I have now.

Here are a couple of thoughts and experiences in my short time of owning it.

First off I have to say how amazing that screen is, it is like the icons are floating on top of it and the size is just amazing.

It is quite easy to handle and really not all that much bigger overall then the iPhone.
It fits very nicely in my pockets and in my care cradle.
The phone is incredibly thin and light considering the large screen.

Android OS ICS is very lag free and I was very worried about this but it is very smooth and responsive.

The Google Play store is actually quite large and there are tons of apps and I found replacements for all my usual apps with no problems with the exception of a couple and the majority was free. :eek:
The layout and functions are a little different for many apps but I really would be hesitant to make one better then the other they are just different thats it.

The store itself is a little harder to navigate and the search results are a little wonky which is surprising considering that Google is the king of searching.
So all the stuff I heard with the regards of the app quality on Android was just not true or at the very least very overblown.

The UI on Android is not as straight forward as it is with iOS but I kind of knew this going into it.
It should be obvious to anyone that if you can tinker this much with a OS that things can get confusing and that is what I'm experiencing at this point too.

Things could be easier and it really takes a lot out of someone that is not used to it or is used to the simplicity of iOS.
It was quite interesting and sometimes frustrating to set my new phone up but I did prevail at the end for the most part.

The choices of tweaks and stuff is sometimes overwhelming and not all that straight forward like it is with the iPhone.
The biggest problem I had was getting all my emails to work with the setup and the auto setup failed with all of them except with Gmail.
iCloud email was the hardest, for some reason it kept rejecting the smtp settings every time I tried.

Obviously there is quite a lot that I still need to learn about Android and this phone but I will master it before it is over.

All in all I really like this phone and I'm actually surprised by that fact as I was a gung-ho iPhone supporter and never thought I would actually make a switch.
But I'm very disappointed by the rumors about the new iPhone and am not blown away by iOS 6 which I'm running on my iPad 3 btw.
I mean iOS is okay with what they added but thats it, just okay.
The design of the new iPhone is pretty much the same as it has been for the last 3 years.
But a little taller thats it.
I was really hoping that Apple would bring out that teardrop design that was floating around last year and maybe a 4.3 inch screen with it and I would have been all over it.

As it stands if Apple surprises me with the iPhone I still have my upgrade open for it.
But I doubt that they could have flooded the internet with so many fake parts just to surprise everyone in September.

My advice to anyone thinking of doing the same thing is simple.
Do it but look at it as a new way of doing things and don't try to compare everything to the iPhone and iOS.
If you don't compare to how you used to do things you will like it but if you go into it looking for faults, I will guarantee you that you will find them.

atticus27

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
ya I've been using iphones, since the 3g and if the new one isn't better than the note 2 I'm gonna buy that. I like iOS devices, because they sync up great with macs, but are way behind on hardware and android looks just as good as ios (it's certainly better than windows compared to os x).

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
great post, im in the same boat. Ive been thinking about the galaxy nexus. My only concern is loosing my iphone 4s camera. I absolutely love it. How is the htc one x camera?? Ive considered that phone and the sIII too

and i have my ipad3 so all the ios features i really have to have/apps i will still have.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
great post, im in the same boat. Ive been thinking about the galaxy nexus. My only concern is loosing my iphone 4s camera. I absolutely love it. How is the htc one x camera?? Ive considered that phone and the sIII too

and i have my ipad3 so all the ios features i really have to have/apps i will still have.

I don't have a SIII, but I have the SII with the same 8MP camera, and coming from the iPhone 4, it is amazing.

The iPhone camera is great, but you can't do much with it. You can tilt shift it, you can add zillions of features, and the community is awesome.

However, the camera in the Samsung SII and SIII is amazing. You can change the focus mode, have a timer, do bursts, you have scene modes, exposure settings, true white balance, awesome flash mode, an actual zoom that works, panorama, and anti-shake. And that's just in the default app. You can really control the shot better.

I miss the apps, totally, but not the camera. The depth of color is a lot better too.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
I don't have a SIII, but I have the SII with the same 8MP camera, and coming from the iPhone 4, it is amazing.

The iPhone camera is great, but you can't do much with it. You can tilt shift it, you can add zillions of features, and the community is awesome.

However, the camera in the Samsung SII and SIII is amazing. You can change the focus mode, have a timer, do bursts, you have scene modes, exposure settings, true white balance, awesome flash mode, an actual zoom that works, panorama, and anti-shake. And that's just in the default app. You can really control the shot better.

I miss the apps, totally, but not the camera. The depth of color is a lot better too.
Same here, I don't know why so many people think the iPhone cam is in another league, I've got both and their basically the same. 4S has a very slight advantage in dim light places, otherwise I can't tell a difference. Except the Android cam gives you so many options and tweaks to play with, and quickly adjust.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
ya I've been using iphones, since the 3g and if the new one isn't better than the note 2 I'm gonna buy that. I like iOS devices, because they sync up great with macs, but are way behind on hardware and android looks just as good as ios (it's certainly better than windows compared to os x).

Ahh yes the Note is something special and I really had a hard time letting go of it.
I'm very interested in how the Note 2 turns out.

----------

Did you use Google Play Music yet? brilliant app. Saves loads of space on my phone for music!

Funny you should mention this.
I totally forgot to mention some of the Google services including the Music Play app and store.
But yes I finished all my uploads this morning, it took quite some time to finish.

----------

Sorry friend other then some quick snaps around the house I haven't had a chance to put it through its paces.
I don't really use my phone cam all that much as I have a big FF Dslr setup and a micro 4/3 setup too.
But from what I read it is okay, not special but okay.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

The camera on the nexus isn't as bad as people say. Its great in good lighting. Android update have improved its performance in low light as well. Its not the best but its certainly not the worst. One good thing is it truely can take 1080p video without dropping frames which not many phones can claim. It also has a much better front camera than the 4s. I firmly believe the software on the nexus is worth sacrifice a tad on the rear camera.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Funny you should mention this.
I totally forgot to mention some of the Google services including the Music Play app and store.
But yes I finished all my uploads this morning, it took quite some time to finish.

I love it. I never use my phone as my main music player, but having all of my music in the cloud is nice. Plus its all backed up. You can redownload each song twice.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
The only two issues I have with android are:

1. Fit and finish, not as polished.

2. Apps are not as high quality as iOS. DrawSomething crashes waaay more, other apps that are ported from iOS originally are significantly buggier and uglier than their iOS counterparts.

Other than that, I enjoy both OSs. I love the customizability of android, even when compared to a jailbroken iPhone. Also love that you can download torrents through your phone, and sync without iTunes.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Nice write up!

I have to admit that so far I have not gotten the same great results on my Gs3 as I had with my iP4 not sure why!! Lense is clean lol. Pictures just aren't as sharp for some reason.

Other than that I am really liking the device. If u have any sync related questions regarding any iTunes or macs with it give a shout. Lots of knowledgeable people here.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL

2. Apps are not as high quality as iOS. DrawSomething crashes waaay more, other apps that are ported from iOS originally are significantly buggier and uglier than their iOS counterparts.

Other than that, I enjoy both OSs. I love the customizability of android, even when compared to a jailbroken iPhone. Also love that you can download torrents through your phone, and sync without iTunes.
Never had DrawSomething crash on my phone, play it every night too usually as the woman is addicted to it, has frozen on the 4S a bunch of times and a couple times on her Fire though, not sure why. App's can go either way I guess but I've not seen a big difference and I've got a ton built up from 5 years of iOS use, found either the same apps or similar on Android to replace, some even better than iOS, including some games playing better. Guess it depends though...each OS has certain app's that give an edge to Android vs iOS and vice versa.
Nice write up!

I have to admit that so far I have not gotten the same great results on my Gs3 as I had with my iP4 not sure why!! Lense is clean lol. Pictures just aren't as sharp for some reason.

Other than that I am really liking the device. If u have any sync related questions regarding any iTunes or macs with it give a shout. Lots of knowledgeable people here.
Yeh that's odd, my GSII and 4S are noticeably better and sharper than my 4. Doesn't the III have the same cam but slightly updated vs the II?

Last edited:

anonymouslurker

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012

just a quick note that this is absolutely because of the coding of the app itself, not because of Android.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Nice write up!

Enable the anti-shake feature? The GS3 has the same Sony camera sensor as the iPhone 4S so you should be getting better results than the iPhone 4.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

What do you use to sync? I thought it was just drag and drop?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I personally have 3 good friends who within the last 2 weeks have either switched to a HTC 1x or. S3 from an iphone. Must say....both of the phones are really nice looking and really makes my iPhone feel dated by comparison.

I may follow suit as well if I am not sold on the 5

skunnykart

macrumors regular
May 7, 2010

1. Fit and Finish of the Android OS or the Hardware?
If you are talking about the OS, you can customise to fit and achieve a finish that you are satisfied with. If you are talking about Hardware, I don't think you can really say that a One X or a S3 isn't polished? They are really good phones. Having said that there are some really bad android phones but usually they are dirt cheap and forgivable because they are so cheap.

2. Drawsomething has never crashed on me (ipad1, ipadnew, galaxy note)

But I agree with you on your last point. I love the customisability of the android. And I also love that you can just drag and drop.

But I hate the fact that android os updates take forever to actually arrive for my android device. Only got ICS update for my Galaxy Note through telstra (Aussie telco) just last week. Still waiting for my other android devices.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
1. Fit and Finish of the Android OS or the Hardware?
If you are talking about the OS, you can customise to fit and achieve a finish that you are satisfied with. If you are talking about Hardware, I don't think you can really say that a One X or a S3 isn't polished? They are really good phones. Having said that there are some really bad android phones but usually they are dirt cheap and forgivable because they are so cheap.

2. Drawsomething has never crashed on me (ipad1, ipadnew, galaxy note)

But I agree with you on your last point. I love the customisability of the android. And I also love that you can just drag and drop.

But I hate the fact that android os updates take forever to actually arrive for my android device. Only got ICS update for my Galaxy Note through telstra (Aussie telco) just last week. Still waiting for my other android devices.

Fit and finish of the OS. Love the Hardware.

----------

What do you use to sync? I thought it was just drag and drop?

Exactly, no iTunes. I can just pop in the SD card and drag and drop.

----------

just a quick note that this is absolutely because of the coding of the app itself, not because of Android.

I realize this, but it's still something to consider when moving to android. Kinda like chosing a neighbourhood to live in. You may have a beautiful house with a beautiful yard, but whats the point when you live in the hood? House being android, and the hood being the apps.

This is definitely an over simplification, but i think you can see my point.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC

I think this is more the fault of the app developer then the phone or the OS.
Some developers are just lazy when porting them.

I also think that things do get a bit more complicated in regards of app development do to being so many different handsets out there from so many different companies.

Granted I only had this phone for a short few days but I have not had any app force close on me as of yet.

----------

I personally have 3 good friends who within the last 2 weeks have either switched to a HTC 1x or. S3 from an iphone. Must say....both of the phones are really nice looking and really makes my iPhone feel dated by comparison.

I may follow suit as well if I am not sold on the 5

Yes I have noticed this trent too before I bought this phone.

I do have to admit that I left my upgrade path open for just in case but I don't think I will take advantage of it if the iPhone turns out to be like the rumors.
Which is a shame cause that leaked teardrop iPhone that was floating around last year was just beautiful and very Apple like to boot, I think that design was the reason I was drawn to the HTC One X as it looks similar to it.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Enable the anti-shake feature? The GS3 has the same Sony camera sensor as the iPhone 4S so you should be getting better results than the iPhone 4.

Yeah, it boggles my mind. I have to mess around with it a bit more. I know it isn't broken, lense is clean, just not getting the sharpness. Perhaps it has to do with the damn auto focus unlike my iP4 wherein you could dictate the focus.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
With regards to the drag and drop I like it loads more then I thought I would.

Yesterday I had to load up some PDF and doc's and started to wonder what kind of app to get like GoodReader and then I realized that I don't even need a app to manage my files. Ha.

The more I'm working with this the more I like it.
One of my favorite functions is Call Blocking, I did have this on my iPhone as a jailbreak app but now it comes with it.
I get a lot of soliciting calls and text as my number is very public and out there even quite a lot on CL as part of my business so this is a very important feature for me.

As a side note!
Most of the people that know me are just stunned that I switched as word is getting out.
I had always been against Android for the longest time.

Oh another little feature on the One X I really like is that when on a call and you lay the phone face down it automatically switches to the Speaker.
I know this is nothing huge but it's the little things that make it so nice.

JesalTV

Aug 24, 2012
London
I'm in the same boat.

Really considering the Galaxy Note 2. Waiting for the iPhone 5 announcement, then will make a decision.

But I'm already getting attracted to the idea of a phablet. Main thing is my iPhone 4 screen just feels too small now. I need more screen space.

And, crucially, the iOS6 just doesn't seem inspiring - it's crying out for a refresh, but Apple will play it safe. Don't forget, most iPhone users are NEW users (I've been on it for 4 years now).

asr10 user

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
I was exactly the same way. Die hard apple fan. Then I saw ios6 and said that's it? So now I am loving my galaxy s3. Funny when you are on the other side, and you hear apple fans talk about how bad android is.

I will say I do miss ios. Both have lots of pros and cons. I'll be getting either the next ipadbor ipad mini.

rockametrics

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2010
Nice write up!

Just picked up Nexus on eBay out of contract and sold 4S. Interested in what everyone who uses a mac does to sync:
iTunes
iPhoto
I like keep pics on my phone and iTunes is easy, I'm sure there is a solution for Android

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Just picked up Nexus on eBay out of contract and sold 4S. Interested in what everyone who uses a mac does to sync:
iTunes
iPhoto
I like keep pics on my phone and iTunes is easy, I'm sure there is a solution for Android

For myself, to sync music from iTunes, I use iSyncr Wifi. It is pretty easy peasy.

To automatically have my photos download into iPhoto:

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39...-your-android-device-to-iclouds-photo-stream/

Gotta love Automator!

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.