Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x27ben27x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
I currently have 10.4.11 running on my Macbook, and getting outdated hasn't been an issue for me until now. Many programs, updates, etc. require my Mac to be at least 10.5, and I have been wrestling with the idea to update or not, and finally I have decided that I think I want to try this. My parents have just recently purchased a Mac mini, and the 10.6.3 installation disk obviously came with it. I have just saved all of my files onto my external terabyte hardrive. Now, my question is, can I update to 10.6.3--using this Mac mini disk--with no issues?? I am afraid of losing my current operating system, and having purchased this Mac in 2007, my start-up disks for Tiger are long gone, so if something goes wrong, then I am sunk. If anyone has any input, please let me know. Thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Those grey Restore DVDs will not work, as they are model specific and bound to that Mac mini (Mm) model.
You will need to get Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard from somewhere else, like Amazon or eBay, but since Apple does not sell Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard anymore, prices have gone up (90 USD for what used to cost 30 USD).

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
You should be able to call Apple and purchase Snow Leopard directly.

As said above - those grey discs will work on that model machine only. They will not work on your machine.

I encourage you to upgrade to Snow Leopard as you are missing out on quite a bit.

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
As they said, you're not going to get anywhere with the Mini version disc.

But a couple of months ago on a book similar to yours I needed to reformat a drive to extended journaled for a downloaded Lion install. And the download required Snow Leopard.
Long story short, a local Mac reseller had several 10.6 discs still available, still inexpensive. Have a look around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.