Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Macworld reports that Apple Japan sold 1 million iTunes songs over four days after the launch of the iTunes Music Store in Japan.
"iTunes has become Japan's number one online music store in just four days,' said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO in a statement. "iTunes has sold twice as many songs in just four days as all the other online music services in Japan sell in one month."
There had been concerns about the pricing of songs in Japan and the acceptance of the iTunes Music store, but so far appears to have been well received.

For reference, Apple sold 1 million songs in 7 days after the initial launch of iTunes/Mac in the U.S. and later sold 1 million songs in 3.5 days after the iTunes/Windows U.S. launch.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Another Market for Apple

Whoa ... that's a lot of songs in the first four days. Yet another market for Apple to sell songs, iPods, and eventually Macs. Go Apple go!

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I'd like to see iPod sales figures for Japan in the next set of results. I wonder if iTunes has had an upturn on Apple fortunes in Japan?

1 million... i'm very impressed, in such a short time.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Geeze, those are some really impressive numbers! I wonder how long they can keep this rate up.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
Wow, that was a lot faster than most people expected. But, since it is the cheapest service in that country, I suppose it isn't that big of a deal. Good to see that iTunes still has it...anywhere in the world.

Hickman

number61

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2005
Seattle, WA
Watch out Sony!

Boy, I guess Sony better watch out - Apple is closing in on their turf!

But honestly, we'll see if the songs fly off the shelves after Apple and the record labels finish talks about extending their agreement. You know the labels will force Apple to increase the price for downloads. I won't be surprised if new releases start costing 12 bucks for the album.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
swissmann said:
Why are other companies trying to compete? I guess there is still money out there for them but come on.
Actually I heard that Sony's digital music player has slightly higher sales numbers in Japan than the iPod (I can't remember where I read this, I'll have to look it up). Hopefully the opening of the iTunes Music Store will help to even things out and push the iPod to the top of the heap where it belongs!

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I figured there would be some fast sales. I want to see if this helps the Shuffle against Sony over there.

(haha, you said silly goose)

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Stampyhead said:
Actually I heard that Sony's digital music player has slightly higher sales numbers in Japan than the iPod (I can't remember where I read this, I'll have to look it up). Hopefully the opening of the iTunes Music Store will help to even things out and push the iPod to the top of the heap where it belongs!

i just saw on CNN that sony is trying to keep up. And that he shuffle was the number 1 music play over there....besides their phones.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Stampyhead said:

iPods are struggling in Japan. In the last quarterly results, Apple were said to be disappointed by the iPod performance.

swissmann said:
Why are other companies trying to compete? I guess there is still money out there for them but come on.

Competition is good :) Look at microsoft for a prime example of why a virtual monopoly is bad. You ( the company in question) gets lazy and your products become static ( opps, dare i say, regular iPod!!).

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
obeygiant said:
i just saw on CNN that sony is trying to keep up. And that he shuffle was the number 1 music play over there....besides their phones.

Where did you see this? I found a article awhile ago that was only about how Sony had a flash based player that was outselling the Shuffle, though I can't find it right now, and an article from 5 days ago that said this:

"Analysts have said the lack of an iTunes online store aimed at users in Japan was a major reason behind Sony securing the top market share for flash memory-based players in the Japanese market in recent months, overtaking the iPod shuffle."

djlu

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2005
NY
I think this is pretty impressive considering that some companies have not come on board for iTunes in Japan.

I wonder if this will pressure Warner, JVC and Sony. Probably is giving a boost to EMI and Avex.

I hope they have some crossover here, I want to pick up some j-pop and anime songs. I guess we will see Tuesday.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Unless this is a huge "opening day rush", it's a really, really impressive number, particularly considering that the domestic (meaning Japanese) selection at the JiTMS is miserable at this point; my wife and a friend spent about an hour searching last night (man, it was funny to see them get fired up every time they found a group they were looking for), and probably 3/4 of what they searched for wasn't there; Sony, who's holding out, has a HUGE number of very popular groups under them, and the JiTMS barely has any domestic albums more than a few years old.

The import selection is fine (probably based on existing iTMSes), and I expect the lack of older stuff will start to fill in over time, but nearly matching the "first million" rate of the US Windows release in a country with less than half the population and an anemic domestic catalog is pretty darned good.

This puts Sony in the interesting position of either shooting their music division in the foot by holding back their catalog from the iTMS to try and boost hardware sales, or shooting their hardware division in the foot by selling songs at the iTMS. It's probably not a huge difference to them either way, but it's pretty much a loose-loose situation.

Also, on Sony vs. iPod sales:

Last I heard from Japan Sony's flash-based players were outselling the Shuffle, but the hard disk based iPods are doing better than Sony's HD-based players. I do wonder how the iTMS may change this.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Well, you can tell there was definitely some built-up demand for iTMS Japan based on these numbers! Evidently the concerns about the higher cost per song wasn't an issue for the consumer after all... :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.