Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyclaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
For about 6 months, the screen on my white macbook would only work if it was at a certain angle- tilted too much one way or the other and no image was viewable (but it was there if a light was shined on it). Common thought was that it was the inverter cable. I found the ifixit instructions and a new cable from China for about $15.00 shipped (I did not want to use a pulled cable, or spend 30.00 for a new cable from the states if they are just marking up what I can get).

I followed the ifixit guide and operated on the laptop (and while I was in there swapped out the dvd with an optibay ($9.99 from ebay) and swapped the hd for a 128gig sad).

Powered the macbook up and the screen works perfectly--------for 2 days. Then it suddenly flashes and goes dark (but you can see an image is on it somewhere). Tilting the screen doesn't get it to work, but dimming it all the way down and slowly increasing the brightness does get the image back........that's not how the old defect was dealt with....hmmmmmmm.

The screen's gone black 2 more times, but came back by dimming it and then ramping it up.

Any suggestions of what the issue is?

By the way, I found that the grey wifi antenna cable was knicked where it enters the hinge (still seems to be conducting, but not sure for how much longer).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.