PDA

View Full Version : Complex/Large Spreadsheets and Powerpoints

slaphotk
Aug 22, 2012, 09:27 AM
Really love my Ipad 3.. I've started to use it as a laptop replacement on short business trips (I travel all the time). One limitation which continues to pop-up is the ability to work with complex/large spreadsheets (6+MB in size) or powerpoints..Takes forever to load or I get an out of memory message..I close all my apps, reboot etc but no joy.. I have the following apps:

Keynote
Numbers
Documents to Go
Quick Office HD
Polaris Office
Office2HD

Any thoughts/suggestions??

TIA..

MacDawg
Aug 22, 2012, 09:30 AM
I haven't found a really good solution for working with (creating/editing) Office documents
I have tried most of them, and none of them really work well for me

IMO it is the one thing preventing the iPad from really replacing the laptop for many people

slaphotk
Aug 22, 2012, 10:05 AM
I haven't found a really good solution for working with (creating/editing) Office documents
I have tried most of them, and none of them really work well for me

IMO it is the one thing preventing the iPad from really replacing the laptop for many people

Thanks for the input..I was afraid of that..I will admit that I've been eyeing the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 for two reasons- 1- the S-Pen and 2- the 2GB of ram..although not sure if that would make a difference in handling complex spreadsheets/powerpoints..

MacDawg
Aug 22, 2012, 10:16 AM
I'm not sure if there are better options on Android for handling Office docs since I don't use it

I expect things to change in the near future with Office docs on the iPad, but when I can't say

Once it does, my usage of the iPad will increase even more

GaresTaylan
Aug 22, 2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the input..I was afraid of that..I will admit that I've been eyeing the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 for two reasons- 1- the S-Pen and 2- the 2GB of ram..although not sure if that would make a difference in handling complex spreadsheets/powerpoints..

I dont find the built in Polaris Office app that comes on the note to be any easier to work with these types of files, unfortunately.

neotope
Aug 22, 2012, 08:38 PM
Have you tried remotely accessing possibly your desktop computer when you need to do those types of operations. I love my iPad but it is not a true laptop replacement so I use LogMeIn when I have work that requires my computer.

MacDawg
Aug 22, 2012, 08:40 PM
Have you tried remotely accessing possibly your desktop computer when you need to do those types of operations. I love my iPad but it is not a true laptop replacement so I use LogMeIn when I have work that requires my computer.

My main computer is a MBA, so it is not always logged in and online when I am using my iPad (I travel a LOT)

Engali
Aug 26, 2012, 01:13 PM
If you have a 4g data plan, check out CloudOn. Last I checked it was free. It's kind if like GoogleDocs in that you need Internet access, but it's made to look just like MS Office.

JackieMB
Aug 28, 2012, 07:40 PM
I was hoping that someone would have posted a good app, as I have the same desire. I've tried a lot of the smaller scheduling programs such as TaskCloud, SmartPlans and most of the ones you've listed as trying and not liking.

There is a rumor that says that FastTrack Schedule will be releasing an iPad product. Maybe that will happen soon since a lot of products tend to be launched when Apple launches its products?