PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook G4 doesn't start up (continues to check the combo drive)

micjan
Aug 22, 2012, 02:32 PM
Hello,

I own a PowerBook G4, 1,67 and today it wouldn't start up:
Powers on, gongs, checks combo drive, checks combo drive again and again, no flickering or lighting on screen, that's all.
And, sadly, I can't start up in target mode from my external disk (with a bootable backup on it) because the start up behavior in this mode is the same.
Does someone know what's happening here?

Thanks on beforehand for a reply

Jan

bengi
Aug 25, 2012, 06:19 PM
Hello,

I own a PowerBook G4, 1,67 and today it wouldn't start up:
Powers on, gongs, checks combo drive, checks combo drive again and again, no flickering or lighting on screen, that's all.
And, sadly, I can't start up in target mode from my external disk (with a bootable backup on it) because the start up behavior in this mode is the same.
Does someone know what's happening here?
Thanks on beforehand for a reply
Jan

have you tinkered with this mac? have you replaced the HD?

Intell
Aug 25, 2012, 06:24 PM
Have you tried resetting the PRAM? Have you tried removing the optical drive? What does it do if you put a bootable disc in the optical drive?

micjan
Aug 26, 2012, 05:43 AM
hey, resetting the pram doesn't work. And I can't put a bootable disk in the computer when he is off, isn't it? Removing the optical drive is indeed the next step I want to do.
I'll feel reassured if it would only be the optical drive that's defective.
Thanks for your reply!

Jan

bengi
Aug 27, 2012, 02:29 PM
If you have replaced the HD be aware that the 1.67 requires a specific cable: with cables from previuos versions the symptoms are exactly what you describe.
BTW - does it boot off the OS X Cd/Dvd?

micjan
Aug 27, 2012, 03:52 PM
I can't put a CD/DVD in the drive if the computer is off.
I didn't replace the HD.
A friend of mine is checking the optical drive now. I'm curious about it ... I hope the problem stops there.

micjan
Aug 30, 2012, 02:00 PM
The motherboard was defective. They put the hard disk in a second hand PB17" and I can reach my documents again. End of story.