PDA

View Full Version : New Apple mouse fails to measure up

MacBytes
Aug 8, 2005, 08:52 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: New Apple mouse fails to measure up (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050808205253)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Lacero
Aug 8, 2005, 08:54 PM
bloody hell repeat article from WSJ

mac 2005
Aug 8, 2005, 09:10 PM
My only complaint about the Mighty Mouse is ... price.

At $49 for a tethered mouse, it is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE, IMHO.

I found nothing wrong with the device from a functional perspective, but why, oh why, does Apple insist on such a premium for EVERYTHING? Does it not cross their mind that the Apple logo does not equate to a 5:1 premium vs. what EVERYBODY ELSE IN THE WORLD is charging?

Rant over, but as much as I want one, I won't buy one.

MBHockey
Aug 8, 2005, 09:13 PM
Absolutely. Bought it the day it came out, returned it later that day.

Pro's: Scroll nub

Con's: Price, Horizontal scrolling much worse than vertical scrolling, lift left finger in order to right click, the squeeze buttons are extremely awkward, felt cheap, not ergonomic by any means.

paulypants
Aug 8, 2005, 09:34 PM
Jeez I don't know, I love mine...

2GMario
Aug 8, 2005, 09:35 PM
"tethered to the pc with a cord like most low end mice"...

dont know about you, but when did signal lag, bad signal strength, weak batteries, etc... become good things for gamers, graphic designers and general power users ?

not that bluetooth is a bad thing, but i wouldnt classify a wired mouse as being low end...

-Mario

emcea
Aug 8, 2005, 09:43 PM
Ok, I think I've read about the right click problem one too many times... I just cancelled my order after reading this article. I pretty much came to the conclusion that I was going to be in for a very frustating time with this thing considering how I always have both fingers resting on the mouse at all times.

narco
Aug 8, 2005, 09:58 PM
When I bought the Apple Bluetooth mouse, I put my trusty USB pro mouse in a little drawer for it to rest in... for about two weeks. Now the Bluetooth mouse sits in that spot and has been sitting ever since. Personally, it's too heavy and the battery life is absolutely horrible. I am a graphic designer and spend many hours in front of a computer, so I don't want to fuss with batteries and such. Plus, I have a drawer under my desk where my keyboard and mouse rest. I don't really see the point in me having a BT mouse and keyboard since the wires are hidden and they don't go anywhere.

When I purchase a Mac mini as my DVD/Gaming (ROMs) machine, I will use the BT mouse and keyboard for that because that makes sense. I can sit on my couch and surf the web or whatever. But on my desk? I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about.

Fishes,
narco.

dornoforpyros
Aug 8, 2005, 10:29 PM
sadly I agree with this article 100%. Seriosly apple, just cave in and accept that the mouse is suppose to be a certain way and that M$ has gotten right. This is like trying to re-invent the mouse trap :rolleyes:

MoparShaha
Aug 8, 2005, 10:45 PM
Finally a review not affected by the RDF! After playing around with the Mighty Mouse for awhile, I found it much slower than using a traditional mouse. The scroll wheel thingy is a joke. It's much too small to be usable (for me).

Anyways, for people looking for good wireless mice, look at the Logitech MX700/MX1000. No lag, rechargeable, and in my opinion, the perfect mice.

Some_Big_Spoon
Aug 8, 2005, 11:19 PM
I raced to the Seattle Apple store first day and it wasn't there. Next day it was and I was ready to buy it without trying it, but, thankfully, they weren't stocked for purchase yet.

I then tried the demo model.

It is extremely cheap feeling. Extremely. It has none of the sturdy feeling of the "PRo" mouse, and not even close to the German tank feeling of the BT mouse. It's far too light to really know that you're moving it by touch, the nub/ball is very platic feeling and the side buttons are a real pain to get to. I'm not saying this is the hockey puck all over again, but this is just not what I'd expect from Jonathan Ives in the least.

Long story short, they've gone for the "gee-whiz" factor over any real usability or ergonomics.

I'd go with the MacMice BT 2 button scroll mouse way before this.

shadowfax
Aug 8, 2005, 11:35 PM
I don't understand why he harped for so long on the stupid zoom feature, though... No one is realistically going to care about that, are they? I think OS X has a really sweet zoom feature, and I don't ever use it... all the programs where you need to do precision work, such as image manipulators, provide their own magnification features... and if I had ANY trouble reading any part of my computer screen, I would fix it by adjusting the resolution, increasing the font size, or something like that. I think it's just silly to make use of a little box to magnify a part of the screen... a gimmick, like picture in picture on a TV.

the article may have had some points about apple's design flaws, but it was way off the mark in hailing MS as having superior design or more innovative features. they can't even name their products, my goodness!

Of course, I think Mighty Mouse is a pretty stupid name, too, but it's a thorn among roses for apple, rather than yet another thorn in a thicket of crap like "windows vista" and "xp" for Microsoft.

It's hard to take advice from a columnist like that...

Fortunately, I got the government (my employer) to buy me a Mighty Mouse to try out, so I got to sidestep the entire issue of whether it's worth it... I'll try anything for free, er, I mean, on you guys :p ;)

dontmatter
Aug 9, 2005, 12:33 AM
grrr, opinions, well, they're opinions, and as such usually stupid to argue about. I mean, you think that, i think this, why don't we let it rest? But seriously, even if it's small, EVERY article has some fact wrong, such as exposť only works on apple's latest operating system. But, tiger is the latest, and I seem to see this feature on my computer running panther....

never having used the m. mouse-I trust the issues with right clicking, squeezing (and I wonder, how do you pick up the mouse and move it?) and the scroll ball. I think it's a little of a reach to blame apple for going for the look and non-fear factor, though, because I'm sure they could have worked out the kinks, and kept with the look, though maybe a slightly larger scroll thing. I would have opted for a mouse that moved multiple ways, for clicking. you know, can click in, or rotate left or right just a little, and click to the sides. So, rotate to the left/click down is left click, rotate to the side is right click, squeeze is 3rd button, and scrol. That would seem to eliminate the right click problem, and keep the cool design. Or just a firmware update for the button sensitivity.

redAPPLE
Aug 9, 2005, 01:25 AM

I found nothing wrong with the device from a functional perspective, but why, oh why, does Apple insist on such a premium for EVERYTHING? Does it not cross their mind that the Apple logo does not equate to a 5:1 premium vs. what EVERYBODY ELSE IN THE WORLD is charging?

thanks for your rant. i hope you feel better now. think of it this way...some would want to buy pants from nordstrom, some would want to buy pants from the gap and some would want to buy pants from the flea market.

don't forget, the iPod at the beginning was also really expensive. it is the exclusivety what one pays for. this is not only Apple. the first walkmans, the first cd players, the first plasma screens, the first mini dv cameras. they were all expensive in the beginning.

LaMerVipere
Aug 9, 2005, 02:04 AM
thanks for your rant. i hope you feel better now. think of it this way...some would want to buy pants from nordstrom, some would want to buy pants from the gap and some would want to buy pants from the flea market.

don't forget, the iPod at the beginning was also really expensive. it is the exclusivety what one pays for. this is not only Apple. the first walkmans, the first cd players, the first plasma screens, the first mini dv cameras. they were all expensive in the beginning.

This isn't the iPod of the mouse world though. Or even the Walkman.

And those products were expensive in the beginning because they were just coming out. Mice have been around for decades.

Stridder44
Aug 9, 2005, 03:51 AM
Microsoft should stick to making mice

SPUY767
Aug 9, 2005, 06:12 AM

Where'd you find a high quality corded mouse for 10$? Seriously. THe corded intellimouse is 25$ and it's light and flimsy. The only thing that makes the cordless intellimouse feel any sturdier is the batteries. Side scrolling actually works great, the only problem is the sensitivity of the ball, it's too low. I know that the ranters of you rarely look to the root of a problem, but in this case. it's the fact that the human index finger is about 7 times as long as it is wide. Get my point? Does anyone know if you can adjust the sensitivity of it? I have yet to see a wireless ANYTHING that works as well as something that is wired, so the low-end thing doesn't cut it. You're going to need to come up with meatier arguments if you're going to complain.

And something else. In order to have what we like to call an intelligent argument, we have to present both sides of a story in equal light. One thing that no one has mentioned is the precision that the scroll ball affords vs. the traditional 3-4 lines at a time scroll wheel. To be honest, I won't buy one. I just have no reason for it. All I get form this article, however, is the vibe that this guy needed somehting to do bout Apple other than sing praises of their nine-million other Apple products, so I'll pick a few personal complaints and report them as fact.

agentmouthwash
Aug 9, 2005, 07:22 AM
I went to my local Apple store with 50 bucks all ready to be spent on Mighty Mouse. After about 20 minutes of using it with the apps I regularly use like Final Cut Pro & Logic Express, I decided not to buy it. The right button click is very unpredictable. I don't have big hands, but I do wish this mouse was a little larger. Squeezing the mouse was very uncomfortable and unnatural.
I hate Microsoft with a passion, but the Intellimouse is much much much better. The Mighty Mouse is an example of style over practicality.

I'm glad Apple finally released a multi-button mouse, but this one is not for me. Too bad, I've been an Apple user since 1983 and I've been waiting for this mouse for a loooooong time.

MBHockey
Aug 9, 2005, 07:39 AM
Where'd you find a high quality corded mouse for 10$? Seriously. THe corded intellimouse is 25$ and it's light and flimsy.

You can get Logitech MX 500's off of Amazon for $26 shipped. There's really no comparison between it and the MM, IMO, it is far superior in every way.

Diatribe
Aug 9, 2005, 07:49 AM
You can get Logitech MX 500's off of Amazon for $26 shipped. There's really no comparison between it and the MM, IMO, it is far superior in every way.

Didn't you say you really liked the MightyMouse?

Abstract
Aug 9, 2005, 08:11 AM
I used the MM at an AppleCentre, and I think it's a good mouse that will take some getting used to.

I didn't buy one because my old Logitech MX300 already has 3 buttons + scroll-wheel click, which is 4 buttons. That's the same number as with Apple's, and I swore to myself that my next mouse would have 5 buttons --- one more button for Dashboard.

MBHockey
Aug 9, 2005, 08:22 AM
Didn't you say you really liked the MightyMouse?

At first, yeah, but it was down hill after i began using it for a few hours.

Diatribe
Aug 9, 2005, 08:32 AM
At first, yeah, but it was down hill after i began using it for a few hours.

Not very encouraging. I guess I'll try it out eventually but I'll stick with my Mx700 for now.

Yvan256
Aug 9, 2005, 08:46 AM
sadly I agree with this article 100%. Seriosly apple, just cave in and accept that the mouse is suppose to be a certain way and that M$ has gotten right. This is like trying to re-invent the mouse trap :rolleyes:

MS has not "gotten it right". Logitech did.

Nothing comes close to my good old M-BA47 (http://www.stalker.ru/images/MBA47.jpg), IMO.

I'll be quite mad if it ever stops working. I just can't use optical mices, they move even when I'm hovering my mouse pad. Which I do quite a lot (to reposition the cursor/screen vs the mouse/mouse pad).

And as far as "cleaning the mouse ball" goes, well, I guess most everyone just have dirty hands when using their computers, because I clean the ball maybe once a year (not even sure).

SPUY767
Aug 9, 2005, 09:19 AM

import java.io.*;

public static void main(String[] args)
{
if(26 == 10)
System.out.println("Point taken");
else
System.out.println("Try again.")
}

MBHockey
Aug 9, 2005, 09:31 AM
import java.io.*;

public static void main(String[] args)
{
if(26 == 10)
System.out.println("Point taken");
else
System.out.println("Try again.")
}

wow! I got served! :rolleyes:

tool

mainstreetmark
Aug 9, 2005, 10:23 AM
So far, my fav mouse has been the Logitech MX900. It's got enough buttons that I can assign every exposť function to a button, and I don't think even Mighty Mouse has that. The one I have now is Microsoft's Intellimouse Bluetooth. It's center-click sucks, it's battery life rules (i'm on weeks of constant use, versus 2 days on MX900), and it has a goofy sideways scrolling feature that I should start figuring out how to assign to exposť, since i never scroll with it.

I was excited by the Mighty Mouse, but noticed that it just didn't have all the buttons I got used to with MX900.

MBHockey
Aug 9, 2005, 10:32 AM
So it's all Intellimice...with that middle click

I thought it was just mine so i returned it for cash...but when i would middle click (had it set up to tile all windows for expose) there was a noticeable, and annoying delay until the action was performed. not so on my mx 500

shamino
Aug 9, 2005, 03:19 PM
I don't understand why he harped for so long on the stupid zoom feature, though... No one is realistically going to care about that, are they?
Actually, this is a feature I'd like on my Mac. I run my displays at a very high resolution. Usually, this is fine, but sometimes I need a bit of magnification in order to read something. Right now, I use the Universal Access hot keys to do a 2x zoom in on the whole screen when I need this.

I feature to just magnify the region around the pointer would be nicer, IMO, since it wouldn't shove the rest of my stuff off the edge of the screen.

Depending on how this feature is implemented, it might even look better than a normal magnify feature. Imagine, for instance, if the utility tells the underlying apps to redraw themselves and the Quartz rendering engine automatically inserts a transformation matrix into the rendering pipeline. The content (not counting bitmaps, of course) will end up rendered at a larger size, meaning no jagged edges - just bigger images. (I'm actually a bit surprised that the Universal Access facility doesn't do this. A product I worked on 10 years ago did this for the print-screen facility, with wonderful results.)
Fortunately, I got the government (my employer) to buy me a Mighty Mouse to try out, so I got to sidestep the entire issue of whether it's worth it... I'll try anything for free, er, I mean, on you guys :p ;)
Please tell us what you think. I haven't tried it yet, but based on Apple's description and some reviewers, I'm thinking that right-clicking will be really annoying. I normally rest three fingers on the top of my mouse - one on each button and one over the wheel. I think I would quickly grow to hate being forced to lift my left finger as a part of every right-click operation.

And chords (where you have to click left and right at once) become impossible with this mouse. Some apps (like several X11 apps, and I think Maya) require you do this for some operations. With a Mighty Mouse, clicking both buttons at once will be seen as a single left-click.

arkmannj
Aug 10, 2005, 12:30 AM
I hope this question isn't redundant; but what is everyone's opinion, the best mouse out there to date? I'd likely be looking for:

* A wired mouse, (let's not get into the wired/wireless debate...call me old fashioned, but I still seem to like my mouse wired)

* As ergonomic as possible

* As many usable buttons as possible (usable meaning, 75 buttons with 3 activated by tilting my palm won't be usable for me)

* prefer to be able to scroll at-least vertical and horizontal (horizontal optional)

* Will last (good quality)

* Assume price is not a big concern.

Captain Canuck
Aug 10, 2005, 12:32 AM
Left and right clicking works just fine and I quite like the ability to side scroll.

Yes, you need to lift your index finger slightly when right clicking. Maybe because I'm used to using a one button mouse I have a tendancy to use my index finger when right clicking as well so it hasn't been much of an issue for me.

My two cents.