PDA

View Full Version : iMac G3 recognized and installs on new hard drive but won't boot.

WillThePlank
Aug 23, 2012, 01:32 PM
Picked up a 333mhz Tray load iMac G3, came with a 6 gig drive and 8.6, Swapped it out for a 80GB Maxtor drive which is recognized fine by both the 8.6 restore disk and an official os 9.1 disc.

It installs fine but won't boot off the hard drive, When I use the install CD to select the boot device it detects that there's an install of the OS but it still won't boot off of it.

Heard something about batteries being an issues but it booted up fine when I first tried it with the old HD, Also used the Firmware update app that came on the OS 9 cd but it said there's a newer version installed.

Any ideas?

Will.

WillThePlank
Aug 23, 2012, 02:49 PM
Also if it helps I've tried a partition smaller than 8 GB and the hard drive jumper is set to master.

tom vilsack
Aug 23, 2012, 06:50 PM
So your first partition was smaller then 8 gig?

When you boot and hold option down does it show up?

tayloralmond
Aug 23, 2012, 07:03 PM
It's probably formatted with the wrong partition scheme. PowerPC Macs require an "Apple Partition Map" partition scheme. If it's the wrong partition scheme, it'll install no problem, but won't boot. Pop in the install disk, go to disk utility, select the hard drive, click the partition tab, then change the number of partitions from "current" to "1" and then click the options button below and make sure the drive is set to partition as Apple Partition Map. Then format the drive as usual. That should solve your problem.

Intell
Aug 23, 2012, 07:10 PM
It's probably formatted with the wrong partition scheme. PowerPC Macs require an "Apple Partition Map" partition scheme. If it's the wrong partition scheme, it'll install no problem, but won't boot. Pop in the install disk, go to disk utility, select the hard drive, click the partition tab, then change the number of partitions from "current" to "1" and then click the options button below and make sure the drive is set to partition as Apple Partition Map. Then format the drive as usual. That should solve your problem.

Mac OS 9 won't format a disk with GUID and it will only install onto one formatted with AMP.

tayloralmond
Aug 23, 2012, 07:28 PM
Mac OS 9 won't format a disk with GUID and it will only install onto one formatted with AMP.

Ah, I misread the post. For some reason I was thinking OS X, not OS 9. The main reason I guessed the partition map was the problem was because I recently had that happen on my PowerMac G4 when I installed a 1TB HD that used to be in my Mac Pro. It installed Leopard no problem, but refused to boot.

MacinDan
Aug 24, 2012, 01:58 AM
Maybe your new system folder isn't properly "blessed." I don't know exactly how to do that, but you can google it or maybe others will have suggestions. Other than that, the only thing I can think of is to run Drive Setup off the install CD, highlight your hard drive and from one of the pull-down menus (I forget which one) select Update Drivers.

WillThePlank
Aug 24, 2012, 03:01 PM
Cheers for all the replies, Took it apart again and noticed I had the jumper settings on slave...So my fault there :L

It all works now but it doesn't always power up so I think it needs a backup battery replacement.