Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
No, nothing negative to report - I did an upgrade install, finished everything in 15 minutes then proceeded to installation of the 10.8.1 update.

Only niggle: it asked me to re-download 10.8 again (probably because my Install software was not on the boot SSD). Safari is, indeed, blazing fast and all other apps I had on my iMac continue to open without issues.

Repaired permissions before and after, of course, and applied all possible updates before going for ML.

Geekbench before (Lion): 11833
Geekbench after (ML): 11839.

Mac continues to rule.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Battery life improves in 10.8.1?

Not asking for me as I enjoy 8+ hours on SL. My wife is nagging the crap out of me though and doesn't understand why she can't run SL on her new MBP.

I may downgrade her to Lion but not looking forward to the time it will take for a clean install.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Battery life improves in 10.8.1?

Not asking for me as I enjoy 8+ hours on SL. My wife is nagging the crap out of me though and doesn't understand why she can't run SL on her new MBP.

I may downgrade her to Lion but not looking forward to the time it will take for a clean install.

Can't tell since I have no laptop; but the other thread seems to indicate that most people have their battery issues resolved. At least I can say that, after much gnashing of teeth, ML ended up being absolutely transparent to me; no performance issues or major bugs to report so far.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Can't tell since I have no laptop; but the other thread seems to indicate that most people have their battery issues resolved. At least I can say that, after much gnashing of teeth, ML ended up being absolutely transparent to me; no performance issues or major bugs to report so far.

That's good news :)
It was painless for me as well and seems to be running very smoothly
Was a quick upgrade also, which surprised me somewhat

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
but the other thread seems to indicate that most people have their battery issues resolved.
I'm reading mixed results. Granted, we all know battery life isn't the same from machine to machine and user to user.

What the hell. Nothing to lose I suppose.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Just found what is possibly my first bug in ML - when I activate AirPlay Mirroring with my ATV, the mouse cursor disappears or its movement is limited to the left part of the computer screen (as if the whole screen had shifted left).

Anyone else having the same problem? Fixes?

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
So if I downloaded ML today it would be 10.8.0 and I'd have to perform an update afterward to bring it up to 10.8.1?

If so, I'm kinda surprised Apple doesn't just change the original ML in the App Store to 10.8.1 so that it's already updated upon the initial installation.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I just did a clean install of ML today on the Mac Pro in my sig. I love it so far. I never understood why people hate Mission Control. Its perfect for multitasking (which I do a ton of).

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
That's good news :)
It was painless for me as well and seems to be running very smoothly
Was a quick upgrade also, which surprised me somewhat

Had a few weird goings on on this one (MBA) so have just re-insatlled ML using my custom install USB drive...Nothing much to report yet, but I'm hoping for an increase in battery life. CB was reporting a dramatic drop in battery capacity which I'm pretty sure is wrong....57 cycles and 94% health...Dropped from 99 in Lion. mis-reprted I think.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
So if I downloaded ML today it would be 10.8.0 and I'd have to perform an update afterward to bring it up to 10.8.1?

If so, I'm kinda surprised Apple doesn't just change the original ML in the App Store to 10.8.1 so that it's already updated upon the initial installation.

They do this already and did so with Lion as well. The MAS installer gets updated to the newest version so new installs are already patched up.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Battery life not improved after 10.8.1. :( (At least it was only a 7MB update).

And Counselor... I've tried the AirPlay cursor thing you reported. No problems like you but AP does seem pretty choppy for me unlike 10.8.0.

Screw it. I'm taking the little lady's MBP back to Lion via clean install before she gets too entrenched in it. I think it's more conducive to her hormone levels and my sanity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.