PDA

View Full Version : Why can't Finder find it?

TrailerTrish
Aug 24, 2012, 09:16 AM
Okay, I'm prolly just doing something simple wrong here, but when I search in Finder for a file I know full well is on that disk, it never finds it, and I used the exact name of the file. I have another window open on that disk, and I'm looking right at the file on it, and Finder cannot find it.

Yes, I clicked on file name instead of contents, yes I selected the disk the file was on, and it will not find the file.

Why might this be?

simsaladimbamba
Aug 24, 2012, 09:32 AM
Where exactly is that file located? Is it a system file or a hidden file?

To find system files via Finder, that can't be found via Spotlight:
6LD-lGO7MOI

To find invisible files via Finder:
f9ii2oEnPf8

TrailerTrish
Aug 24, 2012, 11:19 AM
It's a movie file, The Hunger Games.mp4, on a drive with nothing but movies on it.

simsaladimbamba
Aug 24, 2012, 11:21 AM
It's a movie file, The Hunger Games.mp4, on a drive with nothing but movies on it.

Might this folder be excluded from Spotlight?

Ariii
Aug 24, 2012, 11:25 AM

If you've accidentally put a dot before the file name, try going into the Terminal and running ls -a on the directory it's supposed to be in. If it doesn't show up that way, it probably isn't on the drive.

TrailerTrish
Aug 24, 2012, 12:11 PM
Might this folder be excluded from Spotlight?

Well yes it is! I excluded that drive from Spotlight in hopes of resolving another issue, and I guess this is the result. Now I know. Thanks!

wwsd3
Nov 9, 2012, 01:29 PM
I'm having the same problem and, no, spotlight has not been told to ignore this folder. It is finding other files in this folder, just not the one I'm looking for.

I can see the file, but finder can't.

Finder can't find??

I give it a 0/10 on this one.