PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody here know where iTunes for MacOS 9?

Ariii
Aug 24, 2012, 02:30 PM
After a few hours of searching the InterNet, I can't really find it anywhere, and the links on Apple's site are broken. Does anybody know where I could find it?

Intell
Aug 24, 2012, 02:34 PM
http://download.cnet.com/Apple-iTunes-Classic/3000-2141_4-10053490.html

eyoungren
Aug 24, 2012, 02:39 PM
I was looking for iTunes 4 a while back (only version that allows streaming across the internet built in) and came across this site. (http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/osx-updates/iTunes/) It appears to be a university site or something.

In any case, I saw iTunes 1 and 2 in there just now and I believe iTunes 2.something was the last for OS9.

Ariii
Aug 24, 2012, 08:57 PM
http://download.cnet.com/Apple-iTunes-Classic/3000-2141_4-10053490.html

I was looking for iTunes 4 a while back (only version that allows streaming across the internet built in) and came across this site. (http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/osx-updates/iTunes/) It appears to be a university site or something.

In any case, I saw iTunes 1 and 2 in there just now and I believe iTunes 2.something was the last for OS9.

Thanks! I'm now using it on my iBook right now.

Tea-Aholic
Aug 25, 2012, 05:42 AM

iinet is an ISP here in Australia ;)

eyoungren
Aug 25, 2012, 06:10 AM
iinet is an ISP here in Australia ;)
Thanks. The .au is kind of a tip off, but I didn't realize that iinet was an ISP there.

Lots of stuff in there if you back up the chain there to just the pub folder.

Blackberryroid
Aug 26, 2012, 05:41 AM
Thanks! I'm now using it on my iBook right now.

Why not OS X?

Jessica Lares
Aug 26, 2012, 05:57 AM
Why not OS X?

He has two of them. I guess that's why. OS X takes up too much room and is not great on them anyway. Actually thinking about downgrading mine to 9 too.

SkyBell
Aug 26, 2012, 08:59 AM
Why not OS X?

He has two of them. I guess that's why. OS X takes up too much room and is not great on them anyway. Actually thinking about downgrading mine to 9 too.

Yep, OS X is usable on the early clamshells, but just barely. It's not really worth it if you have more powerful machines with more storage and memory around.

But dang, these suckers fly on OS 9. :D

Blackberryroid
Aug 26, 2012, 09:05 AM
It's not really worth it if you have more powerful machines with more storage and memory around.

The difference in version may only vary by one but they are worlds apart in terms of technology.

You seem to dislike Apple going with Intel. Tell me, what would your next computer be, given $2500? A retina display MBP? Or perhaps the ultimate MBA? Possibly an iMac. What would it be?

SkyBell
Aug 26, 2012, 09:41 AM
The difference in version may only vary by one but they are worlds apart in terms of technology.

You seem to dislike Apple going with Intel. Tell me, what would your next computer be, given $2500? A retina display MBP? Or perhaps the ultimate MBA? Possibly an iMac. What would it be?
Oh, does it seem that way? ;)

I'm honestly not a big fan of Apple these days. The Intel switch was definitely the thing that started it downhill for me, but once the iPhone came out, my love for Apple rapidly fell, and then the iPad - all hope lost.

I won't go into too much detail there, but the point is, I think I'm done buying new Apple products. If I ever get another Mac, it will have Snow Leopard, nothing newer. Probably one of the '08 C2D White MacBooks, maybe an iMac of a similar age. And I highly doubt either would cost $2500. :p

(But if assuming I had to buy a new Mac with that money... A Mac mini maxed out along with an external superdrive, a mouse and keyboard is $1,926...close enough?)

Starfighter
Aug 26, 2012, 09:45 AM

As already stated, it isn't the best choice for that machine. Especially not if he already have OS X on other ones.

G51989
Aug 26, 2012, 09:49 AM
Oh, does it seem that way? ;)

A bit :cool:

I'm honestly not a big fan of Apple these days. The Intel switch was definitely the thing that started it downhill for me, but once the iPhone came out, my love for Apple rapidly fell, and then the iPad - all hope lost.

As much as I love my older Macs, and they were pretty great. Still have most of em. The intel switch was a good thing imo, it meant that if didn't have or wasn't near an of my PC's, I could just boot into windows for a little bit to get something work related done, then boot back into OSX, made my walk from the living room to my basement gaming room/home theater not as necessary. :)

I'm not a big fan of Apple these days either, I fear my 2011 iMac might be the last Mac I ever buy.

I won't go into too much detail there, but the point is, I think I'm done buying new Apple products. If I ever get another Mac, it will have Snow Leopard, nothing newer. Probably one of the '08 C2D White MacBooks, maybe an iMac of a similar age. And I highly doubt either would cost $2500.

You should try a Refurbed 2011 iMac when the new one comes out, I have a 27 in, and while its a love hate relationship, I like it for the most part.

Though, it does't make the same jet engine sound that my PM G5s do :(

Ariii
Aug 26, 2012, 11:17 AM
Why not OS X?

Yep, OS X is usable on the early clamshells, but just barely. It's not really worth it if you have more powerful machines with more storage and memory around.

But dang, these suckers fly on OS 9. :D

I decided MacOS 9 was the best option for the Indigo one. Well, I was already tied into OS 9 software when I bought it because it came with about $300 worth of software I was afraid to delete, so that factored in a little :). Classilla was really, really useful, and I've found MacOS 9 on it to be comparable to maybe Tiger on a C2D MacBook. Surprisingly, FVWM on Linux ended up being even faster than MacOS 9, but FVWM isn't really Apple-ish enough :(.

Lil Chillbil
Aug 26, 2012, 11:46 AM
os 9 will always run better than os x but I run os x because I need the software
compatibility that os 9 just doesn't quite have.

G51989
Aug 26, 2012, 12:28 PM
I decided MacOS 9 was the best option for the Indigo one. Well, I was already tied into OS 9 software when I bought it because it came with about $300 worth of software I was afraid to delete, so that factored in a little :). Classilla was really, really useful, and I've found MacOS 9 on it to be comparable to maybe Tiger on a C2D MacBook. Surprisingly, FVWM on Linux ended up being even faster than MacOS 9, but FVWM isn't really Apple-ish enough :(.

You make a good point, there are some linux distros out there that really make the old clamshells fly.