Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Ok, I've never run Parallels, but I need to get a new Mac that will allow me to run either 10.4.1.1 or 10.5.0 in addition to ML (for a number of reasons.) I wanted to find out from Parallels owners whether this will work and what their experiences have been running OS X VMs in general.

Will OS X instancing only work on OS X server?
Will OS X instancing work via Parallels without Server?
Once you have a Parallels OS X combination working on a new Mac can you make an older 10.4-10.5 Virtual Machine?

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
The guest operating systems must be Mac OS X server. Your host operating system needn't be the server variant.

Thanks, so essentially the hardware won't stop any older version OS X running so long as it's the Server variant under Parallels? Have you tried the newer host, older Parallels OS X server VM? If so what was your combination? Were all services available as they would be from a native installation? Does all of this work on the Parallels desktop version or would I need the Parallels server version?

Embio

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
as of Lion you can run OS X client or server on top of OS X client or server. You can only run two instances of OS X client per license.

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
as of Lion you can run OS X client or server on top of OS X client or server. You can only run two instances of OS X client per license.

Ok, I thought that's what I'd read somewhere and that's without Parallels? Does this operate via BootCamp? The crippling of old OS' on new hardware is something that still concerns me. I'm fine if the OS runs slower, but I do need either Tiger or Leopard to work though. Do you know if any testing, reviews, videos that demonstrate running OS X 10.4 or 10.5 running on a modern machine with Lion or Mountain Lion?

Embio

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
I'm curious what you need Tiger and Leopard for....

Do you need the PowerPC or Intel versions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.