Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
I just bought an Apple TV 3 and love it. I have a more than capable PC and I need to serve it. What I want to be able to do is transfer video from my MBP to the PC to feed the Apple TV. I don't have the room on the MBP to let it live there. I don't need to sync anything else to the PC so it really doesn't need to serve anything else. I initially tried doing iTunes but for the life of me I can't get my MBP to write to the PC. I made the share setting to allow "everyone" to write but no dice from my MBP for writing. I can do iTunes. I'm open to whatever NAS OS that will work. I just want the darn thing to store a video collection and serve it up. It was built as a very nice HTPC but I went satellite. It has 3TB of data storage plus 60GB's of SSD ran by an G530 than can do any of these tasks 10x over. I just need to get it to work. Any thoughts, guides, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

davidoloan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2009
I don't have the room on the MBP to let it live there.

This should be simple unless I misunderstand you. Just put all the iTunes data from the mbp on an external hard drive. Then transfer it into a folder on the htpc. Then import the data into iTunes on the PC and turn on homesharing on both the htpc and the Apple TV.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
This should be simple unless I misunderstand you. Just put all the iTunes data from the mbp on an external hard drive. Then transfer it into a folder on the htpc. Then import the data into iTunes on the PC and turn on homesharing on both the htpc and the Apple TV.

It's all new data, I want to start a collection. Homesharing is a windows thing, if there is a way to make it a Mac thing I'm all ears.

davidoloan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2009
It's all new data, I want to start a collection. Homesharing is a windows thing, if there is a way to make it a Mac thing I'm all ears.

Homesharing is an Apple thing but a Windows iTunes account can also use it to serve an Apple TV in the same way a mbp iTunes account would use it to serve an Apple TV. I am guessing your htpc is Windows?

Homesharing is the simple way that Apple provide to get the iTunes on your computer or multiple computers to appear on your Apple TV.

If you are going to maintain and add to your collection on the HTPC this should work no problem for you.

----------

Also you can use homesharing on iPads. I can see everybody eles iTunes librarys in our house on my iPad and watch or listen to anything right from the iPad. (With no Windows involved)

Also your mbp and your htpc can serve the Apple TV with whatever is in their respective iTunes libraries independently of each other as long as they all are using the same home sharing account and are on the same network. You can still have different accounts with apple for the iTunes store on the different computers but you must use the same home sharing account with all of them. You don't have to have a link to your HTPC from your mbp to see the htpc iTunes on the Apple TV. Your MBP can be turned off.

Last edited:

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
I'm thinking home group... I have homesharing enabled but I need to move it from the MBP to the PC. The homesharing works seemlessly as expected.

edit
It's a living library, not a one time deal.

Last edited:

davidoloan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2009
And you want get new videos etc for the collection on your mac and send it to the htpc on an ongoing basis? And then delete it from the mac?

External Hard Drive to transfer between the two is by far the simplest way. Why not just buy the video on the htpc or do the handbraking on the htpc and do the least moving possible.

One very simple way would be to use the shared hard drive on an airport extreme but that will be very slow even if your network is fast as it connects by USB.

I have homesharing enabled but I need to move it from the MBP to the PC. The homesharing works seemlessly as expected.
I am not totally sure I understand this. Your mac and your htpc should have the same home sharing email address and password. Even if the iTunes accounts on the two computers use different iTunes store accounts.

Last edited:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I have my HDD connected to my TC, and yes transfer is slower than usb. But I do my processing during the day and transfer to HDD at night. Usually takes 15m for a 1GB m4v, 1hr for a 5GB mkv (dvd backup file). Those are actually doable during the day while I am on the computer. For BR's, I do the transfer overnight.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
I finally got it. Ended up trashing the PC and installed Windows from scratch. Once I did that everything worked fine. Only problem I have now is I can see the PC from the MBP over ethernet. On wifi it works fine but once I turn that off and plug in an ethernet cord that's connected to the same router, no dice. I'll trouble shoot some more later but for now I'm happy. Watched my first movie on it earlier today and it worked great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.