View Full Version : 17' iMac G4 1.25 ghz safari/youtube crash

proxify
Aug 25, 2012, 04:27 AM
Ik bought yesterday an iMac G4
17 inch
1.25GHZ
512MB RAM
Os X Tiger

And if I go to Safari, the browser quits/crashes most of the time. And if I try to watch youtube, the video's are stuttering and it crashes. If i change the settings to 280P, it works, but then is the quality so bad.

But I can watch Apple quicktime trailers in 720P!

Will it be better if I upgrade my ram and upgrade to Leopard?

What is the best thing I can do?
Is there a special application that you directly download the youtube video?

How can I get the most of this machine?
Thanks in advance.

potatis
Aug 25, 2012, 04:59 AM
try installing flashplayer10_1r102_64_ub_mac.dmg and see if that helps

proxify
Aug 25, 2012, 05:22 AM
try installing flashplayer10_1r102_64_ub_mac.dmg and see if that helps

I uninstalled Flash player and already tried to install version 10.1.102.64.
It has still the same problem.
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/5060/schermafbeelding2012082.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/52/schermafbeelding2012082.png/)

92WardSenatorFE
Aug 25, 2012, 06:22 AM
Flash is no longer developed for PowerPC Macs and most PPC Macs have a hard time playing YouTube. I have a 17" iMac G4 like you and it will only play YouTube vid's at 240p. You could also try using a different browser (like Firefox or Tenfourfox) and see how that works for you.

As far as Safari, is it only crashing when browsing YouTube? I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean.

Outside of Flash, there is a program called MacTubes for PowerPC Macs that downloads the YouTube videos to your computer and they play much better.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/28608/mactubes

ihuman:D
Aug 25, 2012, 07:20 AM
Download Camino's optimized build for your CPU, I have it and I can stream videos in 720p (Shocker!) and I think it has flash built-in.

I have the same machine as yours except with 768mb of ram and leopard(I'm surprised how fast it runs with that much of ram and on leopard!).

proxify
Aug 25, 2012, 07:36 AM
Yes, Safari is very unstable in general and crashes most of the time.
but crashes more (sometimes immediately) when I go to youtube.
I tried Tenfourfox and this browser is very stable! does not crash! but flash is not activated in this browser. If I go to youtube and try to watch a video, it says that I have to install the newest Flash player.

Maybe I give Camino a try :)

Flash is no longer developed for PowerPC Macs and most PPC Macs have a hard time playing YouTube. I have a 17" iMac G4 like you and it will only play YouTube vid's at 240p. You could also try using a different browser (like Firefox or Tenfourfox) and see how that works for you.

As far as Safari, is it only crashing when browsing YouTube? I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean.

Outside of Flash, there is a program called MacTubes for PowerPC Macs that downloads the YouTube videos to your computer and they play much better.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/28608/mactubes

ihuman:D
Aug 25, 2012, 08:05 AM
Yes, Safari is very unstable in general and crashes most of the time.
but crashes more (sometimes immediately) when I go to youtube.
I tried Tenfourfox and this browser is very stable! does not crash! but flash is not activated in this browser. If I go to youtube and try to watch a video, it says that I have to install the newest Flash player.

Maybe I give Camino a try :)

Yes use Camino that is optimised for your CPU it flies and runs everything perfectly and youtube is better too! I don't even need to use Mactubes anymore!

MS Windows
Aug 25, 2012, 11:40 AM
I'd definitely recommend looking into using different software to browse the Internet. The version of Safari that comes with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger is even worse than Internet Explorer 5 -- it'll even crash when I load Google for crying out loud!

I'd recommend giving Opera 10.63 a try. It's light on system resources (I've used it on a PC with Windows 98, a 200Mhz Pentium, and 32MB or RAM) and should load most modern sites.

MAC MAN JW
Aug 25, 2012, 08:34 PM

You can make flash player work in tenfourfox or you can also try the HTML 5 version of youtube:)

to enable flash player in tenfourfox type about:config in the address bar and press enter
then look for tenfourfox.plugins.enabled double click it and then it will be set to true. Now try youtube again it should work!

proxify
Aug 28, 2012, 03:30 AM
Thanks! :D

I really recommend Camino!
Youtube plays much better in 360P!
And does not crash much!