Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Yesterday I sent my beloved Powerbook to Apple for repair. (The lower ram slot died, so it is having it's logic board replaced). Today, I checked the status of my repair and it says it is on hold, awaiting a part, which means I probably wont get it back for at least a week.

I cannot use Windows for that long, even using it for the last day has been a big pain. I am soooo tempted to go out and buy a MacMini just so I don't have to use Windows.

Just thought I would share my frustration.

NEENAHBOY

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
Arlington, VA
swiftaw said:
Yesterday I sent my beloved Powerbook to Apple for repair. (The lower ram slot died, so it is having it's logic board replaced). Today, I checked the status of my repair and it says it is on hold, awaiting a part, which means I probably wont get it back for at least a week.

I cannot use Windows for that long, even using it for the last day has been a big pain. I am soooo tempted to go out and buy a MacMini just so I don't have to use Windows.

Just thought I would share my frustration.

Join the club. You're probably looking at a minimum of a week to nine days before they receive the part. It seems like this only happens with logic boards, though; they appear to have every other part in stock or readily available.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
NEENAHBOY said:
Join the club. You're probably looking at a minimum of a week to nine days before they receive the part. It seems like this only happens with logic boards, though; they appear to have every other part in stock or readily available.

I am hoping that they already ordered a batch and that they will get them shortly.

I really cant use Windows much longer.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
swiftaw said:
I am hoping that they already ordered a batch and that they will get them shortly.

I really cant use Windows much longer.

I'm sorry to hear about the delay swifaw. Too bad that you don't have a backup Mac. My wife had a logic board replaced on her PowerBook, but with no delay.
:(

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
wdlove said:
I'm sorry to hear about the delay swifaw. Too bad that you don't have a backup Mac. My wife had a logic board replaced on her PowerBook, but with no delay.
:(

Yeah, its bad. I can be at the Salem, NH store in under an hour. I am so thinking about it.

drno9999

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2005
I feel your pain, I had to send my pbook in yesterday for repairs. I'm currently using an old Linux box, tried using an old windows laptop but got error messages and freezes within 5 minutes of using. I miss my baby...

Sirus The Virus

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2005
Texas
I feel your pain. I had a PC at home, and an iMac at school in my desingn class. Then I got my iMac. Now I have withdraws just going on vacation.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
If you have the money it may not be a bad idea to have a backup mac to keep important files on hand should your powerbook bite the big one. I have given this thought before as well.

m_melugin

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2005
I use to go through Mac withdrawal at work. I work for a web hosting company, strictly a PC environment. 8 hours of Outlook was just too much for me to handle. So guess what my boss did? He went out and got me a Mac mini! How cool is that? I didn't ask for it, I guess he just figured that I'd be more productive on a Mac (which is true). Ain't he great?!

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
forumBuddy said:
I actually support the idea of buying yourself MacMini in the meantime :p

Well, I did, I ordered a MacMini yesterday and it arrived today. Of course, an hour after placing the order I checked the status of my Powerbook repair to find that it has been repaired and shipped.

Thus, today at work I received both my powerbook and my new MacMini.

Oh well, 2 macs are better than one.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
swiftaw said:
Well, I did, I ordered a MacMini yesterday and it arrived today. Of course, an hour after placed the order I checked the status of my Powerbook repair to find that it has been repaired and shipped.

Thus, today at work I received both my powerbook and my new MacMini.

Oh well, 2 macs are better than one.
Oh my goodness, you are one lucky person! Congrats on the new mini! That's exciting. :D Now you won't go Mac-less in the horrid event that one of your Macs craps out again.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
m_melugin said:
I use to go through Mac withdrawal at work. I work for a web hosting company, strictly a PC environment. 8 hours of Outlook was just too much for me to handle. So guess what my boss did? He went out and got me a Mac mini! How cool is that? I didn't ask for it, I guess he just figured that I'd be more productive on a Mac (which is true). Ain't he great?!

Where do you work and how do I get hired? Oooooh, to have a job that pays me to work on a Mac and not these blasted....Windows schmuck boxes.

Ino

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2005
Seriously...where do you work...

I'm in a strictly PC environment and I have bad Mac withdrawal 9 hours a day (lunch counts too...). I need some design software, and it seems the company would rather spend hundreds of extra dollars to buy extra licenses than to just let me bring in my Powerbook with Adobe/Macromedia software. Ugh. :mad:

And what's worse is the company does sell iPod accessories, and I can't even listen to my iPod! :confused:

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
yeah I suffer this at work too, it's especially annoying when they ask me to do slideshows and graphics work, and I can't use my mac wher eI could whip something up in 5 minutes, instead I have to use this crap, which crashed 5 times on my today, and take 5 times as long to get stuff done.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
My 17" PB's logic board has been replaced twice now - both time it took about 3 days to get back to me. I feel your pain.

BTW swiftaw - I don't have time to search for it right now but there is a thread here about PB's logic boards going bad and RAM not showing up when scanned. Have you posted there? Sounds like this is becoming a more prevalent issue.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
aricher said:
BTW swiftaw - I don't have time to search for it right now but there is a thread here about PB's logic boards going bad and RAM not showing up when scanned. Have you posted there? Sounds like this is becoming a more prevalent issue.

Indeed, I did. Yes, it does seem that the 15" PB suffers from a particular flaw. Just waiting for Apple to admit it.

m_melugin

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2005
Hehe. Yep, I do have a very generous boss. Not only did he get the Mac mini, he also picked up a copy of Photoshop for me too. It's great. And you know what the best thing about using a Mac in a strictly PC environment? NOBODY touches it!! lol. All of the developers are practically scared to use it. Today I took one of the Apple stickers that came with the mini and I put it on the back of one of my anti-Apple coworker's car. LOL.

I won't say what company I work for, though, but our office is located in Arlington, Texas.

Ino

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2005
Hey, now there's a good use for those stickers...ha!

I had my Powerbook with me on the first day, and the IT department was very amused and had fun setting it up. Had trouble with Airport/wifi connection, but with an Ethernet cable it was networked beautifully.

I'm in marketing, and I subscribe to a lot of marketing-related RSS feeds and podcasts - was happily setting everything up and getting productive with iCal and whatnot, until I got shut down. It only took a few hours before someone came by and said that's not allowed. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.