Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aliensarecool

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
what are some thing that are better on android? i want a bigger screen and a good battery, that's why the RAZR attracted me to it....but what are the major gripes vs an iphone

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
This is kind of a ridiculous thread. People aren't supposed to write you a huge article comparing Android vs. iOS just because you're too lazy to collect that info yourself. Go use this thing called Google.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
This is kind of a ridiculous thread. People aren't supposed to write you a huge article comparing Android vs. iOS just because you're too lazy to collect that info yourself. Go use this thing called Google.

Exactly the kind of attitude that tarnishes any forums image... :rolleyes:

----------

Wouldn't iOS users be the worst people to ask this to if you want an accurate answer?

Might actually be the best place, as an android forum would give biased replies.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
what are some thing that are better on android? i want a bigger screen and a good battery, that's why the RAZR attracted me to it....but what are the major gripes vs an iphone

I own an HTC Glacier and don't really have any gripes with it for what it offers. I do miss the tactile keyboard of my Nokia e71.

Before I list actual downfalls, I use MIUI (gingerbread) as it is the rom of my choice so some things may be exclusive to MIUI, others may not.

1) While I know that the iPhone does get laggy with time, my HTC doest exhibit any further lag no matter how much software is installed. However, base install always shows the faintest of lag across the board. Its mostly in animations (scrolling menus, opening of apps, etc). Its very minimal, but its there just a tad bit. The ICS MIUI rom shows a lot of lag, but the phone is old and is also only running on a single core processor, so its not like it should run perfectly smooth anyway.

2) Most Android cameras suck. Mine does as well although its significantly better than any camera phone that ive ever owned. I think Apple did a fantastic job with the camera.... I mean Sony did a fantastic job of allowing Apple to slap in their camera.

3) Not all awesome software is available for Android as it is on iOS. For example, I'd love to have Bebot on Android.

The only real gripe I have about my phone, or any current smartphone for that matter is the choice in size. Every damn manufacturer seems to think the public wants gigantic brick sized phones that bulge out of their front jean pocket. Ideally I'd like something in the size of a Nokia e71 again; not overly small but large enough to house a good sized screen. The iPhones size is pretty good in my opinion and probably the best in its class.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Might actually be the best place, as an android forum would give biased replies.

Oh I'm sorry, how stupid of me. Here I was thinking the OP might want the opinions of people who actually own the device and have used it extensively and can provide a valid opinion...

I didn't mention this location as being inappropriate, I was referring to the request for opinions from iOS users (See thread title).

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Gripes against Android:

1) Uncertainty of future software updates - with iOS you can assume your phone will be updated if it isn't older than 2 years
2) Inferior App Store - it's the truth
3) Higher learning curve with Android
4) Requires more maintenance and work from the user
5) Aesthetic concerns - poorly designed, less polished, etc.
6) iOS ecosystem - Apple products obviously play well with each other

There's others but gripes can be very personal. If you find the customization and power-user features of Android to outweigh your own qualms with the platform, then you should be fine jumping ship.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

The biggest gripe for me with the RAZR is the hidous software, and god awful screen. The big qHD amoled screen is terrible.

And it's wide as well. You can almost serve cocktails on it.

And the camera sucks.

And motorola's track record for updates is among the worst of all android makers.

All in all, I'd wait. See what Windows Phone is offering on Sept 5th, and iPhone5 is on the 12th.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
I went from an iPhone 4 to a Razr Maxx. Like said previously, the things I miss the most from the iPhone are the retina display and the camera quality. I am loving the battery life and the LTE. I would hang out and wait to see what Motorola brings to the table for the Razr HD. Moto's new ColorBoost screens (like on the Atrix HD) are VERY nice.

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
The RAZR Maxx is so far in it's life that I wouldn't even think of getting it. A new version should be out fairly soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.