Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
according to the release notes this update offers disc spanning for backing up large files that won't fit on a single disc, scanning performance improvements, combined CD and DVD modes, an updated iTunes QuickPick, iCal and Stickies QuickPicks, improved log files, support for different sizes of recordable discs, and an updated design with a brushed-metal look, Backup 1.2.1 requires Jag.
http://www.mac.com/WebObjects/Tools.woa/5/wo/6qouOS77TgtKNmoh.1/2.0.11.3.27.22.26.4 or use the software updater.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Does it still require iTools/.Mac?

I just read a review in "Macworld Magazine" (is it related to the show?) which said Backup was a toy, get Retrospect Express instead.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Does it still require iTools/.Mac?

Originally posted by cubist
I just read a review in "Macworld Magazine" (is it related to the show?) which said Backup was a toy, get Retrospect Express instead.

Backup is free for all who have OSX and is a native program. With these new feature updates I believe that Backup is a great tool should be nearly as good or every bit as good as Retrospect Express.

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Re: Re: Does it still require iTools/.Mac?

Originally posted by MacBandit

Backup is free for all who have OSX and is a native program. With these new feature updates I believe that Backup is a great tool should be nearly as good or every bit as good as Retrospect Express.

Backup is only free to .Mac users, but I think it's worth $100 a year to use. After 1.2 came out and they worked out the .mac server issues, Backup has been great. Hasn't failed in the few weeks I've been using it, early every morning I have it set to backup my Quicken data, mail files, bookmarks, and some documents/websites I work on.

I don't care what Macworld says (I don't really like the magazines, most are always 3 months out of date because they write their articles so far in advance.) Backup is well worth the .Mac fee, and works great for me. However, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone on Dialup. An always on broadband connection is recommended.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: Re: Does it still require iTools/.Mac?

Originally posted by dricci

Backup is only free to .Mac users, but I think it's worth $100 a year to use. After 1.2 came out and they worked out the .mac server issues, Backup has been great. Hasn't failed in the few weeks I've been using it, early every morning I have it set to backup my Quicken data, mail files, bookmarks, and some documents/websites I work on.

I don't care what Macworld says (I don't really like the magazines, most are always 3 months out of date because they write their articles so far in advance.) Backup is well worth the .Mac fee, and works great for me. However, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone on Dialup. An always on broadband connection is recommended.

Actually I believe Backup is free to anyone with MacOSX. I downloaded it before I purchased my .Mac account from Apple. Also before I signed up for the free trial.

About the speed you are purely referring to the ability to backup to your .Mac space. I think this is almost useless. 100MB is hardly enough for most things and who would pay there prices for space when you can get it much cheaper elsewhere. The real beauty of Backup is in having Apple branded program that will allow everyone who got a CDR or DVD-R with there mac to use it for backing up there data.

[edit] I was wrong you at least have to have a preview account to download Backup. Though once you have it you don't need .Mac to use it to backup to CDs or DVDs. [/edit]

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
for me, the real value of Backup is being able to backup my most important stuff (about 25 meg) off-site.

i don't think it and Retrospect compete in the same space. i use (the free and not-too-shabby) SilverKeeper to backup my entire homedir to a local firewire drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.