PDA

View Full Version : Convert ITMS songs to Audio CD

topher
Aug 9, 2005, 04:01 PM
Hi all,

My question is about the quality of sound coming from the ITMS.

Specifically, if I burn an audio CD based on the music I have purchased from the store, is there any way that that audio CD will sound as good as if I had purchased the CD?

In other words, since the music from the itunes store is already compressed...when it gets converted out to .wav it's not going to sound as good as if it had been .wav to begin with?

Thanks

iindigo
Aug 9, 2005, 04:03 PM
The process of converting it back as a result of burning shouldn't hurt it at all. I've done so many times with no loss of quality.

Whyren
Aug 9, 2005, 04:10 PM
Hi all,

Specifically, if I burn an audio CD based on the music I have purchased from the store, is there any way that that audio CD will sound as good as if I had purchased the CD?

In other words, since the music from the itunes store is already compressed...when it gets converted out to .wav it's not going to sound as good as if it had been .wav to begin with?

Thanks

Since the iTMS songs are compressed initially, converting them back to a lossless format will still lack anything that was lost in compression. If you're concerned that the iTMS songs lack sound, you're usually better off buying the physical (non-compressed) CD. However, for many people, sound systems, and genres, a 128 AAC from the iTMS will suffice for sound quality.

CanadaRAM
Aug 9, 2005, 04:11 PM
Your instincts are correct, you can't make water run uphill.

Once it has been compressed and delivered as an AAC file, an audio CD that you burn from those AAC files will be the same quality as the AACs themselves. There is no way to recover the full, uncompressed quality from any lossy compression scheme. Only a lossless compression can give you back the original without loss (oddly enough, considering how they are named ;) )

topher
Aug 9, 2005, 05:18 PM
I appreciate your swift and helpful replies.

I agree that the sound quality of songs on the ITMS is good. It's just that, after a few years with my ipod, sometimes I'll pop a cd into a cd player and be amazed at how obvious the difference really is.

It's good to know that making ITMS songs into a CD won't deliver the same punch.

Thanks again.