PDA

View Full Version : CNN commits iChat AV experiment

MacBytes
Aug 9, 2005, 04:31 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: CNN commits iChat AV experiment (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050809163109)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

LaMerVipere
Aug 9, 2005, 04:56 PM
Saw that yesterday. Pretty cool.

But Wolf Blitzer & "The Situation Room" both suck.

tangerineyum
Aug 9, 2005, 08:28 PM
and i just brought an isight home today, now i can ask the hard hitting questions.

aspro
Aug 9, 2005, 08:33 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me.

nagromme
Aug 9, 2005, 08:37 PM
I think CNN needs to learn to focus their camera if they want to take full advantage of H.264!

iDM
Aug 9, 2005, 08:45 PM
Do iSights work on PC's or does this mean they are running Macs?

nagromme
Aug 9, 2005, 09:38 PM
They're using Macs.

(There might be some way to use iSight on PC, but not the iChat AV software.)

rockthecasbah
Aug 9, 2005, 09:43 PM
Saw that yesterday. Pretty cool.

But Wolf Blitzer & "The Situation Room" both suck.
GASP. Wolf is 'eh' but i rather fancy The Situation room. ;)

Bob Knob
Aug 9, 2005, 09:55 PM
GASP. Wolf is 'eh' but i rather fancy The Situation room. ;)

I agree that Wolf is so so, but to me "The Situation Room" sounds like a title for a bad late 80's cable movie.

LaMerVipere
Aug 9, 2005, 10:28 PM
'The Situation Room' is just trying too hard to be "hip" and "edgy", it's painful to watch.

Stella
Aug 9, 2005, 11:45 PM
Do iSights work on PC's or does this mean they are running Macs?

Yes iSights work on XP ( video only, no microphone ). The quality under MSN messenger is very good.

You don't need any drivers and XP will whine that it can find any drivers when you plug the iSight in, but ignore that and continue.

I've used iSight mostly under XP, unfortunately, since there aren't many PC <--> Mac webcam software. I've tried mercury but its 1 frame a second doesn't really cut it.

GodBless
Aug 10, 2005, 01:18 AM
Cool! It looks like Apple keeps taking more steps up to being involved in the professional world. (However I don't like CNN's news reporting. Perhaps it should be called false reporting.) ;)

tangerineyum
Aug 10, 2005, 11:02 AM
Cool! It looks like Apple keeps taking more steps up to being involved in the professional world. (However I don't like CNN's news reporting. Perhaps it should be called false reporting.) ;)

Do you like it more or less than Fox News reporting ? :rolleyes:

wdlove
Aug 10, 2005, 11:25 AM
I haven't watched CNN in years. Just have basic cable. Don't watch Fox either, but it would be my preference.

CNN is international so this is a good thing for Apple. They are getting some free publicity.

GodBless
Aug 10, 2005, 03:58 PM
Do you like it more or less than Fox News reporting ? :rolleyes:Well, considering that Fox News is very reliable with its reporting, although I rarely watch TV, if I get around to it I commonly watch Fox News and rarely (almost never) watch CNN. If I want a good laugh CNN news reporting is a joke. :D

solvs
Aug 12, 2005, 12:31 AM
Don't want to turn this into a political thread, but if you're getting your news from FOX or CNN, you're only getting half the story. Everyone knows that CNN sucks, but if you think FOX isn't as bad (especially the political analysts, and we all know how accurate analysts are) do a Google search on them. You'd be surprised at just how funny that Fair and Balanced thing is.

If you want accuracy, look to BBC.

GodBless
Aug 12, 2005, 04:06 AM
Don't want to turn this into a political thread, but if you're getting your news from FOX or CNN, you're only getting half the story. Everyone knows that CNN sucks, but if you think FOX isn't as bad (especially the political analysts, and we all know how accurate analysts are) do a Google search on them. You'd be surprised at just how funny that Fair and Balanced thing is.

If you want accuracy, look to BBC.Just so you know, I don't think BBC is by any means unbiased. Just because something is so called an in-between doesn't mean that it is better (especially when it is far left and other sources are extremely left). It is better to be hot or cold than it is to be lukewarm which meaning BBC is more tainted than other sources because once in a great while it will support some sort of conservative action (hmm... maybe it doesn't support any conservative actions come to think of it). I think Fox News is far more accurate compared to BBC News. Unfortunately almost every source of media has a liberal slant to it (and yes this means BBC News too). I like factual straight forward sources of media.

Where do you find a conservative and consistent source of media with standards that don't change every 5 minutes (give or take a few)? The only names that come to mind are, (1st and foremost) Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN) and (2nd but not too far behind) Fox News. This is where I go for consistent, stable and superior standards. I recommend it to everyone because even if they don't want it, they certainly need it. :)

wdlove
Aug 12, 2005, 10:52 AM
My hope is that other news organizations will give iChat AV a try. It would seem to be logical choice for remote interviews.

solvs
Aug 13, 2005, 07:01 PM
Where do you find a conservative and consistent source of media with standards
That's just it, I don't look for conservative or liberal news. I just want the facts. You will find that FOX has just as much slanted opinion, misrepresentations, and outright lies as any recent Michael Moore films. Consistency does not equal truth, as this is not a consistent world. There are plenty of conservative commentators out there, if that's your thing, that are better than most you'd find on FOX. I might recommend Joe Scarborough on MSNBC. Though as opinionated as Al Franken, I find him just as reliable and truthful, even if I disagree on occasion. If you are getting all of your news from FOX or TBN, you are not getting the whole story.

Though I will admit not all of FOX is horrible, the bad tends to outweigh the good.

StarbucksSam
Aug 13, 2005, 07:17 PM
Somebody ought to tell MacWorld that you don't COMMIT experiments, you CONDUCT them.

GodBless
Aug 14, 2005, 12:47 AM
That's just it, I don't look for conservative or liberal news. I just want the facts. You will find that FOX has just as much slanted opinion, misrepresentations, and outright lies as any recent Michael Moore films. Consistency does not equal truth, as this is not a consistent world. There are plenty of conservative commentators out there, if that's your thing, that are better than most you'd find on FOX. I might recommend Joe Scarborough on MSNBC. Though as opinionated as Al Franken, I find him just as reliable and truthful, even if I disagree on occasion. If you are getting all of your news from FOX or TBN, you are not getting the whole story.

Though I will admit not all of FOX is horrible, the bad tends to outweigh the good.I don't agree on everything I hear from my media sources either. I do occasionally read and watch other sources of media but I know from experience that the two networks that I usually watch are two of some of most reliable networks to get my media from. Fox News and TBN focus on stating the facts. Other networks focus on telling me what they think the truth should be to support their corrupt and destructive views. I don't listen to occasional liars on Fox News or TBN (however it is very rare for if anyone has even a hint of deception in their bones on TBN).

As a side note, I don't know of any conservatives in the MacRumors forum.

solvs
Aug 14, 2005, 03:04 AM
As a side note, I don't know of any conservatives in the MacRumors forum.
Look around. They are there. Desertrat (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?userid=19186) for one. Nothing wrong with being a conservative nor religious. But a news organization that presents itself as fair, yet is uabashedly biased, raises my ire. Worse, at times they present outright lies as fact. I suggest you do a Google search on them to see the truth. You will be as suprised as I was to find out just how "accurate" they actually are most of the time (hint, they aren't).

I'm probably not going to convince you no matter what I say... but just because they share some of your views, it doesn't make them truthful.

GodBless
Aug 14, 2005, 07:56 AM
I suggest you do a Google search on them to see the truth.I do this often just to see how my favorite sources of media are viewed by secular liberals. It always strengthens my beliefs and standards whenever I do so because nothing other sources say have correct justifications for why they are putting down my sources. People like to talk down and fight against the best sources and people. Here is an example:

People talk down Jesus. They swear by saying "Jesus Christ" and "God dammit." My take on this scenario would be to recommending to these people that they should read their Bible. I would also like to let them know that God doesn't hate them, he loves them and they should love him too. God isn't going to harm them so why do they blame him? They should blame themselves for not doing what is right and not following God. God knows what is best for people because he made them and everything else around them that will effect them. Jesus (even during the time when he physically lived on the Earth as a man) is opposed against often. He was even killed as a man and died the worst death possible to overcome our sin for us to live in eternity with him and to become clean even though we have been impure. Just because people hate or fight against something or put it down or try to convince you it is bad doesn't mean that it is something bad or something wrongful at all. People talk down George W. Bush too. Why? For similar reasons that they put down Jesus. Obviously Jesus was perfect and George W. Bush isn't, but at least George W. Bush tries to be as perfect as possible. There's nothing wrong with that at all but people seem to make a problem with it anyway. Although I don't agree with everything George W. Bush does I am very confident that he is doing the very best he can do. :) And Jesus has always been perfect and he always will be. :)

solvs
Aug 14, 2005, 10:37 PM
Wow.... I don't even know how to argue with that.

Lest this be sent to the Poli Forum, I won't begin to tell you my perfectly viable and fact based reasons for disliking either of the last 2 presidents. But if you think people don't like FOX because of a liberal bias, I'm not sure what else to say to that. They lie. All there is to it. Nothing to do with bias, or partisan politics. They are biased themselves, and have been proven to lie on a regular occasion. Believe what you want, but I urge you to take everything you hear from most of what's on FOX news with a grain of salt, even more so than a lot other news organizations. Once again, I would suggest people like Joe Scarborough, who is both conservative and fairly accurate.

If you want to know why I am so against FOX, it because while I was looking for a news channel to watch, I spent some time watching them. I found them to be worse than biased, they were often outright lying. After doing some research (who cares where it came from, it was based on fact), I found out just how bad they were really were. Some stuff coming from people who worked there. It sickened me. There's proof out there. Call it bias, but facts are facts. Outfoxed (http://www.outfoxed.org/) has some good examples (though you will probably roll your eyes at times, just as I did). I have other links if you'd like them. Call them biased, but it's hard to ignore all the evidence to the contrary.

And please don't even begin to compare Jesus to a crooked politician and a even more crooked network. Just because I don't believe in either of those, doesn't mean I don't believe in Him. I know that wasn't your intention, but the inference still bothers me.

GodBless
Aug 15, 2005, 01:33 AM
Wow.... I don't even know how to argue with that.

Lest this be sent to the Poli Forum, I won't begin to tell you my perfectly viable and fact based reasons for disliking either of the last 2 presidents. But if you think people don't like FOX because of a liberal bias, I'm not sure what else to say to that. They lie. All there is to it. Nothing to do with bias, or partisan politics. They are biased themselves, and have been proven to lie on a regular occasion. Believe what you want, but I urge you to take everything you hear from most of what's on FOX news with a grain of salt, even more so than a lot other news organizations. Once again, I would suggest people like Joe Scarborough, who is both conservative and fairly accurate.

If you want to know why I am so against FOX, it because while I was looking for a news channel to watch, I spent some time watching them. I found them to be worse than biased, they were often outright lying. After doing some research (who cares where it came from, it was based on fact), I found out just how bad they were really were. Some stuff coming from people who worked there. It sickened me. There's proof out there. Call it bias, but facts are facts. Outfoxed (http://www.outfoxed.org/) has some good examples (though you will probably roll your eyes at times, just as I did). I have other links if you'd like them. Call them biased, but it's hard to ignore all the evidence to the contrary.

And please don't even begin to compare Jesus to a crooked politician and a even more crooked network. Just because I don't believe in either of those, doesn't mean I don't believe in Him. I know that wasn't your intention, but the inference still bothers me.Everything in the world is tainted to some extent but I like to focus on the least tainted sources possible. I agree Fox News isn't perfect but I haven't heard anything major that is against them that I should pay attention to. Some things I have heard against them were outright lies. I do like Joe Scarborough though. :) I should watch him more often. I especially like Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly as far as political news reporters (and debaters) go. As for TBN news, Hal Lindsey is excellent and adds Biblical prophesy too.

solvs
Aug 15, 2005, 03:32 AM
I especially like Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly as far as political news reporters (and debaters) go.
If you had said Brit Hume or Greta Van Sustren, I would have let it go. But those 2 are some of the worst. Along with Coulter and Limbaugh. Go look up Jeremy Glick and see what he thinks of Mr. O'Reily. If you're getting your news from them, you aren't getting the news. You criticize the liberal media slant, yet allow yourself to be fooled by the conservative media, which is just as bad (if not worse because they don't even try to hide it) just because they are more in tune with your views? That I don't get. And Hal Lindsey's just a nut job. If you believe the stuff he's saying... I just don't know what else to say to you. He's been predicting the apocalypse for how long now? There are better places to get your religion too. Trust me.

Oh yeah, and... falafel. ;)

solvs
Aug 15, 2005, 03:40 AM
Everything in the world is tainted to some extent but I like to focus on the least tainted sources possible. I agree Fox News isn't perfect but I haven't heard anything major that is against them that I should pay attention to.
http://mediamatters.org/

http://www.factcheck.org/

http://www.tvnewslies.org/

kalisphoenix
Aug 15, 2005, 04:04 AM
I find this sort of talk extremely disturbing.

People talk down Jesus.

Heh. I immediately pictured police trying to "talk down" a jumper.
"Don't jump, Jesus! It's not that bad! Although your followers are ignoramuses and you can't play the piano and kalisphoenix is going to get banned for this post, there's no need to end your life! Things can only go up from here!"

They swear by saying "Jesus Christ" and "God dammit." My take on this scenario would be to recommending to these people that they should read their Bible.

And my take would be to "recommending" that you read a grammar book and stay the @#$% out of my library.

I would also like to let them know that God doesn't hate them, he loves them and they should love him too.

Kant was full of **** and so is God, apparently. Punishing an individual (whether it's prison time or a term in hell) is neither respect for an individual's autonomy nor is it moral education. It's punishment, pure and simple, retributivist bloody Old Testament punishment, no matter how you try to dress it up with easter bunnies and Jesus Loves Me! dashboard singing electric sheep. Gah! God doesn't love you, he wants you to be subservient!

God isn't going to harm them so why do they blame him? They should blame themselves for not doing what is right and not following God.

Well, God's such a groovy chap, what with his recommendations for killing adulterers and such, well, damn!

God knows what is best for people because he made them and everything else around them that will effect them.

Yeah, well, God also apparently thought that an unfaithful wife would rot in thigh and swell in belly if she drank bitter water (Numbers 5:11-31). In fact, given some of God's other wacky ideas, I'm not sure I can trust him to order a pizza, much less determine what is best for me.

Jesus (even during the time when he physically lived on the Earth as a man) is opposed against often.

Well, it was a lot of fun. "C'mon, Jesus! Let's go @#$% up another fig tree! Those lazy non-fruiting bastards!" A lot of sarcasm in the Holy Land back then, which is why they needed Jesus. There's been a great paucity of sarcasm since then, which is why Jesus has been held up on the whole "second coming" thing.

He was even killed as a man and died the worst death possible to overcome our sin for us to live in eternity with him and to become clean even though we have been impure.

Pffft. HE GOT OFF LIGHT! He hung there for a couple hours before mercifully croaking. Some of those other poor bastards had to hang there for days. He even got some wine (okay, okay, so it was sour...). And so far as I know not many of his friends showed up, which must've stung. See, Tammuz went through the exact same thing as Jesus, a couple hundred years before, but he got the spear in his side while alive! Much harder death than Jesus.

Just because people hate or fight against something or put it down or try to convince you it is bad doesn't mean that it is something bad or something wrongful at all. People talk down George W. Bush too. Why? For similar reasons that they put down Jesus.

1. He thinks he's the son of God.
2. He's an ******* to the lower classes (remember what Jesus said to Judas when the latter suggested selling the oil of spikenard and donating the proceeds to the poor...)
3. He is more concerned with his comfort than the lives of others (ie, hearing that Lazarus is deathly ill but chillin' and taking a leisurely route to Bethany).
4. He has troubles with attacking harmless things for no valid reason (fig tree == Iraq).
5. He values superstition over logic and reason.
6. Neither of them are named Emmanuel.

Obviously Jesus was perfect and George W. Bush isn't, but at least George W. Bush tries to be as perfect as possible. There's nothing wrong with that at all but people seem to make a problem with it anyway.

Trying to be perfect is a good thing. But if you begin with dumbass premises (ie, a pretty retarded definition of "perfect"), you will end with dumbass conclusions ("Tax cuts for the rich!").

Although I don't agree with everything George W. Bush does I am very confident that he is doing the very best he can do.

Which is the most depressing thing you've said yet.

:) And Jesus has always been perfect and he always will be. :)

And I will continue to believe that you're mentally ill.

GodBless
Aug 15, 2005, 05:32 AM
if not worse because they don't even try to hide itThat's because it is authentic. They have absolutely nothing to hide. I like people who have nothing to hide. This is just like myself. I don't like politically correct because it is really an incorrect concept. It is a tainted lie because if you run around in random circles you don't have direction.

GodBless
Aug 15, 2005, 06:18 AM
And I will continue to believe that you're mentally ill.Let God be the judge of me and my mind. And as for you... well you get the idea... let God be the judge of you and your mind too. God has a fair and balanced judgement for all, so you better be right in the end. ;) Never forget, God judges all. Remember it is never too late to be accepted by God by confessing your sin to him. No matter how much you have sinned God will accept you. Jesus' blood and most severe death from everyone's sin has covered it all since he rose from the dead and overcame it.

solvs
Aug 16, 2005, 12:23 AM
That's because it is authentic.
Except they aren't. Besides the lying and saying they are Fair and Balanced when they aren't, do you actually think they believe what they are saying? People can talk about morality all they want, it's actually being moral that's the hard part. I guess you missed the falafel thing. But I'm sure that was all part of a liberal conspiracy. Just like the Clinton thing was a conservative conspiracy. I guess it's only ok if your guy does it. :rolleyes: And how did this get to be about God? I was talking about Faux News. I've given you several things that support my argument, but since all I'm getting is preached to at this point, I will be bowing out now.

Feel free to continue to support the hypocrites, the types of people that Jesus actually spoke out against, and claim moral superiority all you want. This is why I try not to argue with people who get their news purely from FOX. Nor religious zealots. It just makes my head hurt.

wdlove
Aug 16, 2005, 11:19 AM
Let God be the judge of me and my mind. And as for you... well you get the idea... let God be the judge of you and your mind too. God has a fair and balanced judgment for all, so you better be right in the end. ;) Never forget, God judges all. Remember it is never too late to be accepted by God by confessing your sin to him. No matter how much you have sinned God will accept you. Jesus' blood and most severe death from everyone's sin has covered it all since he rose from the dead and overcame it.

Very well said. Let not judge that ye be judged. I'm a sinner and must confess daily. Heaven rejoices more for those that repent than the righteous.

GodBless
Aug 16, 2005, 07:45 PM
Very well said. Let not judge that ye be judged. I'm a sinner and must confess daily. Heaven rejoices more for those that repent than the righteous.That's great. :) A lot of people ask for forgiveness once and never repent of their sin after that. I respect your choice to repent often. It is easy to see that someone is born again if they repent often. Although only asking for forgiveness once is required for salvation, it is a healthy part of the born again lifestyle to repent often.