Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
I have a Macbook Pro 2.66 Ghz Intel Core Duo that I recently updated to Mountain Lion.

It seems to work pretty well, but recently I noticed that something seems to be churning the processor, and the fan winds up running constantly, making it run very hot.

I opened Activity Monitor, and found something called Report Crash running, taking up a high percentage (of the cpu I guess?) I quit that process over and over, but it keeps coming back.

Anybody have any idea what this might be about? Thanks!

rlsheffie

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
APC Powerchute

After 3 days of trying to solve the same problem on what may be the same machine after upgrading to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard, I finally looked at the Activity Monitor as someone suggested and discovered that My APC Powerchute software was the culprit. Apparently it is not compatible with Mountain Lion. I pulled the connecting cord (which I don't think affects the surge protection) and the fan rpm dropped from 5000+ to about 2,500 almost instantly. The silence was deafening if not golden!

I used the disk that came with Power Chute to uninstall the software.

I have not checked to see if there is an upgrade to the software and was never sure why I had it anyway. I bought it for the battery and the surge protection. One site said it is unnecessary in more recent MacBooks, but I will worry about that later.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.