Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacobi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Hi,

I have a new MacBook Air and noticed that the cord connecting the power brick to the Air has some twists or kinks in it, which made an audible cracking sound when pulled straight. The cord still appears to be functioning properly, but is this in any way a safety hazard or a risk to the computer? Apple's support site says to discontinue using cords that have kinks in them.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Calot

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
The power brick is like a power surge regulator with a small chip in it. It takes great care of your laptop, as it protects it from power surges and delivers just the current it needs. That is exactly why it is so damn expensive.

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
The power brick is like a power surge regulator with a small chip in it. It takes great care of your laptop, as it protects it from power surges and delivers just the current it needs. That is exactly why it is so damn expensive.

That could not be less helpful. read the damn post before you embarrass yourself.

I noticed mine has a small kink or two in it (looks like little knots in the cable). If this isn't normal I expect I should be getting a replacement as I've had the laptop less than two months and it developed those within a week. If you wrap the cord tightly it's more likely to kink, i know that much.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Unfortunately Apple is using a much lower quality, stiffer cable, than in prior years. The new cable on the mag safe side is very easily kinked.

I have a cord from my old 2002 PowerBook G4, it's so much more flexible, it's not stiff, and as old as it is, still has a premium feel.

Upon unboxing my mid 2010, and 2011 MBP's I was very disappointed with the change. Heck, I'd happily pay more for a quality cable, since Apple decided to go cheap.

Jacobi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this. Do people think it's worth taking the adapter in for a replacement?

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this. Do people think it's worth taking the adapter in for a replacement?

Can't hurt to try. Mine is fine, but it's a royal pain to have to baby it. I pay $3,000 plus for a BTO MBP & Apple ships it with a $1.00 power wire. Flippin Cheap, Crude, And Tacky for a company that claims to create premium products.

Even worse? The $800 VAIO I bought for my son has a cord on it's power adapter that is very flexible, feels & looks like top of the line. Absolutely maddening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.