Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MMAKOL22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
So I bought a iphone 4s about 6 months ago, immediately purchased the lifeproof case for myself and my have been extremely pleased and impressed with it. I have recommended it to many of my colleagues and friends and they have themselves purchased the case. I was reluctant at first to use it near water, or underwater fo rthat matter but after a about 2 months I gave inot temptation and used it underwater in the pool and got some cool pics of my kids. They were loving it, and so I was so. My case is leak free and I continue to use it as advertised by Lifeproof. Even used it in North Carolina going down natural waterslides and tubing. AWESOME.

Now we decide to get our daughter a iphone 4 for her 15th birthday(July), immediately purchase the Purple lifeproof case and after the water test install her phone as required. It is now the end of August and just Friday she went swimming with her friends and when she went to take a photo underwater she noticed it wasnt working like mine. She looked and noticed water within the case, immediately got out of the pool and took the phone out of the case. Completely dead......but FLASH was on, not blinking, just ON. Nothing else on, just the LED FLASH.

Now what I dont understand is how Lifeproof can encourage you, and even advertises for you to take your phone underwater to film movies, take photos...etc, but then also have ZERO liability to repair/replace your phone if their product fails at what it advertises it can do. How is that possible..?

My daughter is a responsible individual and when she says she checked to make sure the bottom was closed, and the headphone jack was sealed we must take her at hr word. Is their a possibility she is lying, yes, but we dont believe so.

Any advice for dealing with Lifeproof?, or the best way to deal with or repair the water damaged iPhone?

brun019822

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2006
So I bought a iphone 4s about 6 months ago, immediately purchased the lifeproof case for myself and my have been extremely pleased and impressed with it. I have recommended it to many of my colleagues and friends and they have themselves purchased the case. I was reluctant at first to use it near water, or underwater fo rthat matter but after a about 2 months I gave inot temptation and used it underwater in the pool and got some cool pics of my kids. They were loving it, and so I was so. My case is leak free and I continue to use it as advertised by Lifeproof. Even used it in North Carolina going down natural waterslides and tubing. AWESOME.

Now we decide to get our daughter a iphone 4 for her 15th birthday(July), immediately purchase the Purple lifeproof case and after the water test install her phone as required. It is now the end of August and just Friday she went swimming with her friends and when she went to take a photo underwater she noticed it wasnt working like mine. She looked and noticed water within the case, immediately got out of the pool and took the phone out of the case. Completely dead......but FLASH was on, not blinking, just ON. Nothing else on, just the LED FLASH.

Now what I dont understand is how Lifeproof can encourage you, and even advertises for you to take your phone underwater to film movies, take photos...etc, but then also have ZERO liability to repair/replace your phone if their product fails at what it advertises it can do. How is that possible..?

My daughter is a responsible individual and when she says she checked to make sure the bottom was closed, and the headphone jack was sealed we must take her at hr word. Is their a possibility she is lying, yes, but we dont believe so.

Any advice for dealing with Lifeproof?, or the best way to deal with or repair the water damaged iPhone?

terrible I feel your pain. me personally would never take my phone into the water even with a waterproof case too many things can go wrong with the case. btw their warranty sucks! it seems like they dont have faith in their product.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I was going to say take the warranty and file small claims, but from the post above and yours it seems the warranty is worthless.

I almost bought one of these cases and went against it when I and the rep from Best Buys couldn't get the case to close tightly. I knew right then it could potentially snap open. I went with a battery case instead and have been very happy with that instead.

MMAKOL22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
I just don't understand how a company can flat out advertise their product as being fully capable of be taken into the pool for photos and video, yet have ZERO liability for the damaged device if in fact their case should fail. Seems like a company hell bent on misleading it's consumers to believe they have "waterproof" phone, yet just in case it doesn't work, we're not liable.

That's like buying a car that the manufacturer claims can float, shows you it floats, encourages you to go on the lake and float with it, yet if when you drive it in the lake it sinks, it's not covered. Sorry.

LittleGwen

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I just don't understand how a company can flat out advertise their product as being fully capable of be taken into the pool for photos and video, yet have ZERO liability for the damaged device if in fact their case should fail. Seems like a company hell bent on misleading it's consumers to believe they have "waterproof" phone, yet just in case it doesn't work, we're not liable.

That's like buying a car that the manufacturer claims can float, shows you it floats, encourages you to go on the lake and float with it, yet if when you drive it in the lake it sinks, it's not covered. Sorry.

Exactly. That's just horrible. :mad: You should write a complaint to their customer service.

toasty hoodie

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
Or you can admit that your 15 year old teenage daughter was irresponsible and either didn't firmly press around the edges and make sure the headphone jack was tight, along with the bottom, AS INSTRUCTED when you buy the case, and move on.

My fiancee has the responsibility level of a child at times, so I make sure her case is secure before we go anywhere with water

DK1ng

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
Seattle
Or you can admit that your 15 year old teenage daughter was irresponsible and either didn't firmly press around the edges and make sure the headphone jack was tight, along with the bottom, AS INSTRUCTED when you buy the case, and move on.

My fiancee has the responsibility level of a child at times, so I make sure her case is secure before we go anywhere with water

Don't know why you have to bring this up when he said that he believes his daughter when she said she checked before entering the pool...I'm pretty sure he's going to believe what his daughter told him and he already said she was a responsible girl. No need to bash on his trust in his daughter just because your fiancé is irresponsible at times.

toasty hoodie

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
See this is why our country has so many frivolous lawsuits. Your daughter probably didn't realize it, but she forgot something. LifeProof specifically states their warranty policy, and only 1 case in existence will replace a phone, and that's the CellHelmet.

It's people like OP that drive the prices up for responsible buyers.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
It's of no consequence to you now, but if I were researching for such a case and found similar advertisements from a company that had such a garbage warranty, I'd just keep looking. Their words mean nothing if they don't back them up. If you believe that crap, I've got a bridge to sell you. Or a deposed Nigerian prince to introduce you to.

dwa2011

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
Northwest Atlanta
See this is why our country has so many frivolous lawsuits. Your daughter probably didn't realize it, but she forgot something. LifeProof specifically states their warranty policy, and only 1 case in existence will replace a phone, and that's the CellHelmet.

It's people like OP that drive the prices up for responsible buyers.

100% agree. CellHelmet seems like they got it figured out. With their case and even the new screen protector coverage.
Its a shame that Lifeproof can't stand behind their product like CallHelmet

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London

I see great things ahead for this marriage

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
LifeProof needs to cover their ass from people's faults in not correctly installing and insuring the case is tightly sealed with clean gaskets. Otherwise the case itself is fool proof unless you accidentally flip open the dock connector cover. I feel you though. Shame you don't have AppleCare+.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
It's called moral hazard. Nothing to stop folks from putting an already broken phone in the case and making a claim. They make NO secret that they won't cover your phone if damaged. It's right on the BIG yellow sticker on the case. On another note, Best Buy should not be installing any phones in this case. There is a required 1 hour water test BEFORE use. I've used this case for over a year. I inspect all seals/ports before water immersion. If I drown my phone from deciding to put it under water in ANY case, it's my problem for deciding to risk an expensive piece of electronics.

MMAKOL22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
WOW - Lots of assumptions made in this thread about me and what I was expecting.

I hold my daughter 100% accountable for the incident. Regardless of the what case she had it in.

BestBuy did NOT put my phone directly into the case, we did it at home after performing the leak test as required.

I understand lifeproof has to protect itself from frivilous claims, because there are such ******s in the world that would take advantage of companies.

Lifeproof misleads it consumers into believeing that it can go anywhere and do anything with their phone now thats in their case. Even though I still like the case for my personal needs, I will NOT be recommeding it to friends or colleagues anymore.

At the ATT&T store on Friday, a lady had one in her hand at checkout. She saw mine and asked me how I liked it.

She DID NOT purchase the Lifeproof case.

davidra

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
I'm on the water just about every weekend and have had a Lifeproof since I got my 4S on launch day. I've been through lots of rain storms, been soaked in a kayak and while wade fishing. But I've never ever taken the phone underwater on purpose. I do check the edges when I know I'm going to get wet. I like the Lifeproof because it's thin and light and affords about as much protection as I can get and still allow use of the phone. I take a lot of pictures of clients (and hopefully fish) and the quality of the optical glass is excellent. As much as I like the case, I wouldn't trust it for planned submergence; that's not why I bought it. If anything, the problem is in how the case is marketed. All I can say is that it meets my needs...but I do have Applecare+ just in case. There are other waterproof cases (the driSuit Endurance comes to mind) but they require being put in and taken out for everyday use....and no phone case, including the CellHelmet, guarantees the phone against water damage. The Lifeproof just meets my needs, but it might not be for everyone.

Madatlifeproof

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2014
Lifeproof stinks

I bought mine since my stepson had one on his iPhone 5c this summer we went to the river and sea world several times worked like a charm- bought mine yesterday used it today didn't submerge it only carried it with me while walking in pool and took pictures- of course now my camera doesn't work nor does my speaker- calls have to made on speaker mode- I do have insurance thru Att but what is the difference in that and AppleCare??

73b

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2014
East Coast
Purchase an Incipio Atlas case instead - I don't own one, but they will replace your phone if it breaks from water damage.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT

There is too much room for user error with the case. You can take your waterproof case underwater but leave one of the access doors open to the device (power connector, headphone jack). How is it Lifeproof's fault if I put my iPhone underwater with one of the doors open?

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Lifeproof cases suck. They leak EVEN when properly installed and used.

Get a gopro if you want underwater pics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.