Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 17, 2012
Being fairly new to the Mac I'm still learning my way around.

When I play World of Warcraft which runs full screen, I sometimes have the need to access a Web browser to look something up. In Windows I used to hit the Start Menu key and it would minimize the game so I could fire up a Web browser. I'm at a loss for how to do this in OS X.

How do I get out of a full screen game without quitting it, if I need to get on the Web? Is there a keystroke that will minimize any full screen game?

Thanks very much.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Being fairly new to the Mac I'm still learning my way around.

When I play World of Warcraft which runs full screen, I sometimes have the need to access a Web browser to look something up. In Windows I used to hit the Start Menu key and it would minimize the game so I could fire up a Web browser. I'm at a loss for how to do this in OS X.

How do I get out of a full screen game without quitting it, if I need to get on the Web? Is there a keystroke that will minimize any full screen game?

Thanks very much.

it depends on the game. Many games that need to change your resolution in fullscreen will capture the display, and your normal Mission Control or CMD+Tab or swipe to other desktops, (etc...), will not work. If this is the case, then its up to the game maker to give you that functionality... some add in so CMD+Tab or CMD+Enter... (Wineskin ports all break out with Cmd+Opt+A) will let you break out... some will use other keystrokes... you just need to search and find the solution for the game your playing. I'm not sure WoW is actually doing a capture or not I haven't played it in so long... but I'd start with Cmd+Tab as a test.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
CMD+tab doesnt work in WoW, however I usually just hit CMD+M and that windows the game, then you can browse what ever, go back to the game and hit CMD+M again and you are back in full screen.

In just about every other game CMD+tab will switch you between all your applications and desktop though.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 17, 2012
CMD+tab doesnt work in WoW, however I usually just hit CMD+M and that windows the game, then you can browse what ever, go back to the game and hit CMD+M again and you are back in full screen.

In just about every other game CMD+tab will switch you between all your applications and desktop though.

Thanks very much. I had come back here to post about CMD+M myself which I discovered I forget how now. lol

Anyway, works like a charm now and I can look stuff up. I am impressed too by how smoothly the game switches back and forth from fullscreen to windowed modes. Very cool!

That is good to know about CMD+TAB. I will keep that in mind for the future.

devilson

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
GTA and NFS are full screen games and mostly i like to play this game in leisure time....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.