Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In the wake of Apple's $1 billion victory over Samsung in its high-profile lawsuit over patent and trade dress issues, The Verge reports that the company has officially requested U.S. sales bans on eight Samsung smartphones found by the jury to infringe upon Apple's intellectual property.
- Galaxy S 4G
- Galaxy S2 (AT&T)
- Galaxy S2 (Skyrocket)
- Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
- Galaxy S2 Epic 4G
- Galaxy S Showcase
- Droid Charge
- Galaxy Prevail
apple_galaxy_injunction_request.jpg

The report notes that impact of any sales bans would likely be negligible, as most of the cited products have already been discontinued in the U.S. in favor of successor devices.

Apple is requesting a preliminary injunction covering these eight devices out of the 28 devices at stake in the trial, but is reserving its rights for a future permanent injunction request in favor of moving quickly to ban sales of this subset of devices.

Article Link: Apple Seeks Sales Bans on Eight Samsung Smartphones

AlexJaye

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Texas
I can't believe Apple hasn't gone after their worst nightmare: the Galaxy S3.

They better not try, 'cause that's what I'm replacing my iPhone 4 with!

S3 is a much better phone, in my opinion, than iPhone. It isn't Samsung's fault Apple is slacking!

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I really doubt this is going to happen. I guess it's okay for them to try, but let's not try to get ahead of ourselves Apple. ;)

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Isn't the Google Nexus/S3 trial in 2013? So, thats why its not included. These devices are older and not the current Samsung's one.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
This is like Google trying to ban a iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4. Apple is actually doing future Android buyer's a good service by getting rid of these older devices. Ice creme sandwich and Jelly Bean numbers should increase even faster.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Curious the S3 is not on the list. Perhaps apple wants to take it down with the next iPhone instead. One can only hope.

edit- to clarify, what I mean is I hope the next iPhone is an S3 killer. Because I do think the S3 is a great phone.

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Curious the S3 is not on the list. Perhaps apple wants to take it down with the next iPhone instead. One can only hope.

I'm sure Apple wanted it on the list. Samsung is fortunate to say the least. A ban on these means nothing. Also no Nexus devices.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Isn't the Google Nexus/S3 trial in 2013? So, thats why its not included. These devices are older and not the current Samsung's one.

By 2013 there will be a Nexus replacement and a Samsung S4. These lawsuits may suck for the companies involved but it is not bad as a consumer to see newer devices released by them. I doubt Samsung is going to release a S3S.

ccraig13

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
PA
I can't believe Apple hasn't gone after their worst nightmare: the Galaxy S3.

You mean the phone that's the size of a surf board? My friend showed me his S3 that he rooted to run JB (I can't wait to root my phone so I can run iOS 6... oh wait, you don't have to) . It was cool as long as you don't mind lag, which unfortunately I do, so I'll stick with my 4S and continue to wait for the the "iPhone killer"

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002

S3 is a much better phone, in my opinion, than iPhone. It isn't Samsung's fault Apple is slacking!

You won’t enjoy the lack of future software updates compared to what the new iPhone will get over its life :p

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011

I am curious in what way? I have a few friends with this phone and when I talk to them the sound quality is horrible, and honestly the os just seems so darn confusing (and this is from a techy who has been programming since 1994)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I am curious in what way? I have a few friends with this phone and when I talk to them the sound quality is horrible, and honestly the os just seems so darn confusing (and this is from a techy who has been programming since 1994)

You won’t enjoy the lack of future software updates compared to what the new iPhone will get over its life :p

You mean the phone that's the size of a surf board? My friend showed me his S3 that he rooted to run JB (I can't wait to root my phone so I can run iOS 6... oh wait, you don't have to) . It was cool as long as you don't mind lag, which unfortunately I do, so I'll stick with my 4S and continue to wait for the the "iPhone killer"

Oh garsh darn gee willikers. Them Android phones are so confusin'. EVERY phone has a learning curve. If iOS was so easy there wouldn't be large lines or classes at the Apple store to learn how to use it. I love both my iPhone 4 and Skyrocket - but I just I find that silly :)

As for software updates - how many do you need if the phone is already highly functional. Further - unlike iOS - Google/etc roll out the stock APP updates regularly - so while you might not get a new OS each year (and you don't with the iPhone either) you get incremental updates just like iOS.

And lastly - the size issue. My skyrocket has a large screen. But it still fits in my pocket just as easily as my iPhone. I'm able to use it one handed and I don't have giant's hands. And quite frankly - even as great as the iPhone retina display is - it's small now after using the Skyrocket to the point where it's not all the pleasurable to read,etc off of.

I'm not sure I'd ever go as large as a Note. But 4.6 is not a surfboard at all.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Not quite. They attempted to add it to this list but judge dismissed it advising that it was too late to add another device to their ban list ;)

This makes no sense. Either ban all the infringing models or don't ban any. What are they going to do, have another trial on devices that didn't make the list?

o0jelly0o

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
Imagine if you were one of Apple's designers and worked very closely on designing the iPhone, wouldn't you want to murder mother@$%$@s that copied your ideas (which you put an incredible amount of time into)? Answer is obviously yes. Samsung deserves all of everything that's coming to them. 'When you can't innovate, steal', is what you Samsung kids should be thinking. I call you kids because you're not of adult intellect when you spew comments about Apple not being the innovative company.

AlexJaye

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Texas

Software updates mean nothing when Android already has all or most of the features iPhone will be adding (I can ask Siri about sports now? Yay!). Plus features iPhone won't have for years but will later spout as revolutionary. Also, I only plan to keep a smartphone for 1 1/2 to 2 years anyway. So software updates are mostly irrelevant in this case.

Also, I don't want a Harry Potter-esque wand as my phone (from rumors). The S3 screen is more realistic and nice. That's just my opinion and what I want from a phone screen.

I'm waiting until the new iPhone comes out to make my final decision, however.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.