PDA

View Full Version : So I now have my PowerMac G4.

LOLZpersonok
Aug 27, 2012, 02:11 PM
I expected it to be a single processor, 256MB of RAM and Mac OS X 10.2. It actually has: (specs posted in the attachment below)

I thought it was a single processor but it's a dual processor! And I thought the hard drive was 80GB but Mac OS reports that it is about 112GB. I had a look inside and it's a 120GB hard drive!

And your not going to believe how much I paid for it. $60. It works like a charm! Needs to be wiped, which I'll procrastinate until a later time.

I love this computer, as much as I love my PC! Even though my PC has bad caps in it, it still is going strong. It's my fault that it has bad caps. But when I checked, I didn't find any bad caps in my PowerMac G4! This thing is in perfect condition, I put a video of it on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWUAuTpIlsY

ihuman:D
Aug 27, 2012, 02:45 PM
:eek: Wow what a steal! I wish I lived where you are.

LOLZpersonok
Aug 27, 2012, 02:58 PM
:eek: Wow what a steal! I wish I lived where you are.

Out of all the PowerMac G4's on Kijiji Calgary, this was the only MDD model. Others had single CPU configurations or Dual 500MHz configurations. I can say I got lucky. You can find plenty of MDD's on eBay for not bad prices but the shipping is usually $100+ because this thing weighs a ton!

You've got a lucky iMac G4. You can expand yours to 2GB of RAM and yours also supports hard drives larger than 128GB.

ihuman:D
Aug 27, 2012, 03:06 PM
Out of all the PowerMac G4's on Kijiji Calgary, this was the only MDD model. Others had single CPU configurations or Dual 500MHz configurations. I can say I got lucky. You can find plenty of MDD's on eBay for not bad prices but the shipping is usually $100+ because this thing weighs a ton!

You've got a lucky iMac G4. You can expand yours to 2GB of RAM and yours also supports hard drives larger than 128GB.

I know but it's a hassle to upgrade the inside ram slot and it runs fast enough as it is so I'll only upgrade it when I need too. Anyway congrats on your wonderful machine! (Beware one day you could wake up and find me at your window begging you for that mac :cool: (I'd like one but I'm waiting for the new iMac) )

Nermal
Aug 27, 2012, 03:27 PM
Does that model have FireWire 800? If not, then it's the last OS 9-bootable machine - I had one and regret selling it!

LOLZpersonok
Aug 27, 2012, 03:44 PM
I know but it's a hassle to upgrade the inside ram slot and it runs fast enough as it is so I'll only upgrade it when I need too. Anyway congrats on your wonderful machine! (Beware one day you could wake up and find me at your window begging you for that mac :cool: (I'd like one but I'm waiting for the new iMac) )

Well, thank you anyways! That's the unfortunate thing about the All-in-one iMacs and other Unibody Apple computers, they're tough to upgrade, even the RAM! Especially the new MacBook Pro Retina and the MacBook Air, the RAM is next to impossible to upgrade, that's the one factor that would drive me away if I had the money for a brand new Mac. I always love having easy access to a computer's internals (Most PC's are like that and upgrading anything in them, even the CPU can take less than 5 minutes if you know what you're doing) and the PowerMac G4 is easy to get into. I especially like tooless cases like the PowerMac or even my Compaq Deskpro's. (Yes, I've got 2 Compaq Deskpros for some reason, both are identical.)

----------

Does that model have FireWire 800? If not, then it's the last OS 9-bootable machine - I had one and regret selling it!

No FireWire 800. That may be why when the seller gave me like 10000 CD's for it one of them was an OS 9 CD...I'll probably never use it.

Zeke D
Aug 27, 2012, 04:48 PM
No FireWire 800. That may be why when the seller gave me like 10000 CD's for it one of them was an OS 9 CD...I'll probably never use it.

People have off and on been looking to acquire OS9 discs you may want to offer them up.

666sheep
Aug 27, 2012, 05:26 PM
Congrats. You've got a better one of the two 1.25 DP models. 2MB L3 makes it almost as fast as 1.42 DP with ability to run OS 9 natively. I'd recommend a quick adventure with OS 9 - you should feel the spirit of good old Apple :) Unique...

PowerPCMacMan
Aug 27, 2012, 05:30 PM
Does anyone need the original discs for the 2003 MDD? I have the discs and images should anyone want them. They are a MUST for those who own the last powerful Mac G4 system.

I once had the MDD Dual 1.25 w/2MB L3 - Very quick machine and using quicktime codecs was able to view as high as 720p HD video.

A fine machine!

Congrats. You've got a better one of the two 1.25 DP models. 2MB L3 makes it almost as fast as 1.42 DP with ability to run OS 9 natively. I'd recommend a quick adventure with OS 9 - you should feel the spirit of good old Apple :) Unique...

Sam0r
Aug 27, 2012, 05:39 PM
I loved the MDD look, had a dual 867mhz one myself.

Too loud though :(

PowerPCMacMan
Aug 27, 2012, 05:40 PM
Did you ever get the 360W power supply? That was the quieter version compared to the 400W.

I loved the MDD look, had a dual 867mhz one myself.

Too loud though :(