PDA

View Full Version : G3 airport card

Drich290195
Aug 27, 2012, 02:17 PM
Getting one of these 600mhz babies lol , are the airport cards hard to get hold of looking forward to it

MAC MAN JW
Aug 27, 2012, 02:26 PM
Getting one of these 600mhz babies lol , are the airport cards hard to get hold of looking forward to it

What mac are you getting? the original airport card can be found on ebay for under $20 but remember it does not support WPA2 also the only imac g3's that have a airport card slot is the slot loaders and they need a airport adapter. you can also get a USB wi-fi dongle:)

Drich290195
Aug 27, 2012, 05:29 PM
It's a slot loader 2001 model what adapter will I need. Will I need one of these as well as the card

PowerPCMacMan
Aug 27, 2012, 05:31 PM
At this point just get a USB Wireless dongle, G or N - your choice, of course.. but bear in mind the G3 uses USB 1.1 which is slow.

Still a nice machine, though not as quick as the G4's.

It's a slot loader 2001 model what adapter will I need. Will I need one of these as well as the card

Intell
Aug 27, 2012, 05:34 PM
Here's the card you need: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Apple-Airport-Card-WiFi-802-11b-for-Mac-G4-G3-Free-Shipping-/271044877181?pt=US_Laptop_Network_Cards&hash=item3f1b889b7d

And here's the adapter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Apple-Airport-Adaptor-for-Airport-AirMac-iMac-G3-/250532685189?pt=US_Laptop_Network_Cards&hash=item3a54e96585

These are just two random eBay listings I found. There may be less expensive ones around so look before buying.

MAC MAN JW
Aug 27, 2012, 08:36 PM
At this point just get a USB Wireless dongle, G or N - your choice, of course.. but bear in mind the G3 uses USB 1.1 which is slow..

I have to agree with PowerPCMacMan i have had lots of imac g3's and have bought a few airport cards for them but the Ap cards were always a pain to get them working right and also you have to make your wi-fi less secure by using WPA were if you used a USB wi-fi dongle you can use WPA2 if your router supports it.:)

PowerPCMacMan
Aug 27, 2012, 10:40 PM
At least someone agrees with me! :) Yeah, its best to get a USB wireless adapter since it alone will allow you to support WPA and or TKIP(sp?) security methods.

The older airport card for the G3 is not worth it. Its b and not G nor N.

I have to agree with PowerPCMacMan i have had lots of imac g3's and have bought a few airport cards for them but the Ap cards were always a pain to get them working right and also you have to make your wi-fi less secure by using WPA were if you used a USB wi-fi dongle you can use WPA2 if your router supports it.:)

Intell
Aug 27, 2012, 10:44 PM
The only thing a USB WiFi would give a G3 iMac is WPA2. No speed gain at all. USB 1.1 is limited to 11Mbps just like WiFi b.

MAC MAN JW
Aug 27, 2012, 11:08 PM
Also rember that the first gen. Airport cards use b wi-fi and you have to set your wifi Modem in mixed mode if you have a g or n modem so it will then slow Down other computers useing that network to b speeds. If you used a USB wifi card you would not need to do that but the downside is you will lose 1 of your 2 USB ports.

Intell
Aug 27, 2012, 11:13 PM
The other devices only get slowed down if the b device is connected to the network. Just by putting your WiFi into mixed mode does not slow it down. Furthermore, your WiFi network will only become slow when a b network connected to it if the wireless router has only one antenna. Most modern wireless routers have at least two and do not suffer from this problem.

MAC MAN JW
Aug 27, 2012, 11:34 PM
The other devices only get slowed down if the b device is connected to the network. Just by putting your WiFi into mixed mode does not slow it down. Furthermore, your WiFi network will only become slow when a b network connected to it if the wireless router has only one antenna. Most modern wireless routers have at least two and do not suffer from this problem. that's what I met. When the iMac is on the network the modem will run on B speeds if you are not useing a dual band modem (I think that is what it is called?) when it's not on it will use the max speed. there are pros and cons to both Airport and USB wifi I guess it depends on how the op's wireless network is set up :)

Intell
Aug 27, 2012, 11:44 PM
that's what I met. When the iMac is on the network the modem will run on B speeds if you are not useing a dual band modem (I think that is what it is called?) when it's not on it will use the max speed. there are pros and cons to both Airport and USB wifi I guess it depends on how the op's wireless network is set up :)

Dual band is when there is a 2.4Ghz network and a 5Ghz network. What I'm saying is that having a b device on a network that has more than one physical WiFi antenna, thus the network is a 2x2x2 network, does not cause slow downs due to how the router implements the signals. One of the streams will become slow, the other streams will remain fast. If more then one b client joins the network, they are put onto the b stream by the router and kept there.

Example: You have two G3 iMacs, two Macbooks, and one Airport Extreme N router. The current Airport Extremes are 3x3x3. This means that they broadcast three WiFi streams. The Macbook will use the three streams to increase its WiFi speeds. This is how devices get more than 65Mbps on N. In our example, the Macbooks are connected to all three streams and happily getting 450Mbps. Then you turn on one G3 iMac. It connects to one of the streams at 11Mbps. The Macbooks detect that one of their streams is slowing down and remove it from the stream bundle giving it 300Mbps. You then turn on G3 iMac number 2. It is put onto the slow stream by the Airport Extreme and the Macbooks continue to have 300Mbps.

MAC MAN JW
Aug 28, 2012, 12:27 AM
Dual band is when there is a 2.4Ghz network and a 5Ghz network. What I'm saying is that having a b device on a network that has more than one physical WiFi antenna, thus the network is a 2x2x2 network, does not cause slow downs due to how the router implements the signals. One of the streams will become slow, the other streams will remain fast. If more then one b client joins the network, they are put onto the b stream by the router and kept there.

Example: You have two G3 iMacs, two Macbooks, and one Airport Extreme N router. The current Airport Extremes are 3x3x3. This means that they broadcast three WiFi streams. The Macbook will use the three streams to increase its WiFi speeds. This is how devices get more than 65Mbps on N. In our example, the Macbooks are connected to all three streams and happily getting 450Mbps. Then you turn on one G3 iMac. It connects to one of the streams at 11Mbps. The Macbooks detect that one of their streams is slowing down and remove it from the stream bundle giving it 300Mbps. You then turn on G3 iMac number 2. It is put onto the slow stream by the Airport Extreme and the Macbooks continue to have 300Mbps. thanks for clearing that up I admit I was wrong last time I researched wi-fi modems was 3 years ago when my family asked me to pick one out for them I guess a lot changes In 3 years in wifi tec. :) like I said before it all depends on what the op's wireless setup is.