Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skysailing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
I was in school today and had my iPhone unlocked in my pocket. School started at 7:15 (Battery Life 89%) and when I went to lunch at 12:30, my battery life was 14%.
This is the first time I have used a passcode lock on my iPhone 4S in iOS 6.
Was that the reason? I mean, WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED?

jnmiah

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2012
I was in school today and had my iPhone unlocked in my pocket. School started at 7:15 (Battery Life 89%) and when I went to lunch at 12:30, my battery life was 14%.

turning off auto brightness will help the battery life and try to let the battery die and then charge it again. dont forget to reboot also will help.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida

What happened? You were running beta software.

xfmym

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011

I know that in the school in my town sits in a signal dead-zone. That can significantly affect battery life too.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I know that in the school in my town sits in a signal dead-zone. That can significantly affect battery life too.

This happens with Verizon everyday on my 4S while at home. When I leave, my phone is just as normal as my 3GS on AT&T. While at home, I've seem my 4S go from 100% to 90 in one hour with mo use.

I'm canceling Verizon as soon as I can afford the ETF and staying with AT&T.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009

Wait, you mean you had the SCREEN on? If so that explains it. The screen always takes the most Battery like 75 percent.

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
I'm running iOS 5.1.1 on my iPhone 4S, but that happens to me as well when I am at school. There's very poor signal there and the battery drains very fast.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I'm running iOS 5.1.1 on my iPhone 4S, but that happens to me as well when I am at school. There's very poor signal there and the battery drains very fast.

I just had it happen on airplane mode.

At home, I have horrible reception on 3G on Verizon so I either keep the phone off or on airplane mode and use my 3GS on AT&T. I had the 4S on airplane mode and unplugged it from my computer. It went from 100% to 93% in less than an hour. Rebooting the phone usually helps and I have ha this problem on this 4S since I bought it in January so it is not a 6.0 beta problem.

skysailing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
Thanks for the reply's.

This is the first time in this Beta version that this happened. It's very weird. My phone gets SUPER hot when I have 4G on. I turned it cellular data off and the battery went back to normal. Still 4G sucks the battery life when it's on, as well as Wifi.

----------

Wait, you mean you had the SCREEN on? If so that explains it. The screen always takes the most Battery like 75 percent.

No the screen was not on.

----------

What happened? You were running beta software.

+1

Don't complain about battery life while running a beta. Apple won't optimize until after the GM rolls out.

tumblr_m6xeygaSO21raa31eo1_500.gif

----------

I was using your phone during that time.

tumblr_m1vt7vlnaD1qihztbo1_500.gif

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
+1

Don't complain about battery life while running a beta. Apple won't optimize until after the GM rolls out.

Why would apple optimize the battery after the gm rolls out. Shouldn't they do it before it goes out to the public. The whole being a beta thing doesn't fly either. I am running a nightly cm10 build on my verizon Galaxy nexus and its battery is perfectly fine.

espiritujo

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2011
columbia, sc
Back in my high school you couldn't get any good reception. It drained my phone every day until I realized what the problem was. I think my high school was designed this way to prevent students from using their cell phones in class. Kinda lame, but I can understand where they're coming from. I think now they even have signal blockers.

skysailing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
Why would apple optimize the battery after the gm rolls out. Shouldn't they do it before it goes out to the public. The whole being a beta thing doesn't fly either. I am running a nightly cm10 build on my verizon Galaxy nexus and its battery is perfectly fine.

tumblr_m5462tTWOy1qihztbo1_250.gif

Preach.

----------

Back in my high school you couldn't get any good reception. It drained my phone every day until I realized what the problem was. I think my high school was designed this way to prevent students from using their cell phones in class. Kinda lame, but I can understand where they're coming from. I think now they even have signal blockers.

This is seriously like a conspiracy theory and I am scared. Something about this sounds illegal.
tumblr_m766bzKK901raa31eo1_400.gif

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009

Because they leave optimization until the coding and features are locked in place. As someone who doesn't write software, I'm sure this isn't something you would know.

Cynagenmod isn't it's own software, it's a rom of a modification of pre-written software by Google. Talk to me when you have a Cynagenmod running of 4.2/5.0, before Google releases it on a phone to the market, with better battery life than 4.1.

You are comparing a modified version of Android to a beta of an unreleased version of iOS.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Because they leave optimization until the coding and features are locked in place. As someone who doesn't write software, I'm sure this isn't something you would know.

Cynagenmod isn't it's own software, it's a rom of a modification of pre-written software by Google. Talk to me when you have a Cynagenmod running of 4.2/5.0, before Google releases it on a phone to the market, with better battery life than 4.1.

You are comparing a modified version of Android to a beta of an unreleased version of iOS.

Explain how there are cyanogenmod builds for devices that never had them that get good battery life then. Even the HP touchpad which isn't even an android device has good battery.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
This is the first time in this Beta version that this happened. It's very weird. My phone gets SUPER hot when I have 4G on. I turned it cellular data off and the battery went back to normal. Still 4G sucks the battery life when it's on, as well as Wifi.

Have you filled out an Apple bug report on the issue yet?

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Explain how there are cyanogenmod builds for devices that never had them that get good battery life then. Even the HP touchpad which isn't even an android device has good battery.

A Cynogenmod isn't it's own operating system. It wouldn't be in existence without Android, as it stacks upon it. It is a modded version of Android plus or minus other features.

You are comparing a modded version of a commercially ready mobile OS (CM10 is for Jelly Bean, a commercially released version of Android, 4.1) to a beta of a non-commercially ready mobile OS (iOS beta 4). Apples to oranges.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.