Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
i've been gone for a couple of months, and some other developers worked on the app i was working on.

i guess they we're testing out how to do the HOC distribution.

and now I'm trying to see and feel out the version they made, but now i get a code signing error saying "the identity 'iPhone Distribution' doesnt match any valid, non-expired certificate/private key pair in default key chain.

in the build settings i have changed the the code signings from distribution to developer. but i still get an error.

oh man, does that tell me i have to mess with that keychain stuff?

edit: solved, i guess i had to change "don't code sign" to developer as well.

Last edited:

larswik

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2006
Ad Hoc question

I am following this tutorial http://www.manyfriends.com/wiki/iphone/index.php/Create_an_ad-hoc_provisioning_profile#Add_Devices

A little more then 1/2 way down the page in the "Export the Certificate/key-pair matching the Ad-hoc profile" is says, "NOTE: In order for your developer to use your ad-hoc profile, he will also need the exported private key used to create that profile. "

But I am the developer and I am just sending it to friends to test out? Do I need to include this file for my beta testers too? Or will I just need to add my friends UDID number to the Ad Hoc which was the step above this one?

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
A little more then 1/2 way down the page in the "Export the Certificate/key-pair matching the Ad-hoc profile" is says, "NOTE: In order for your developer to use your ad-hoc profile, he will also need the exported private key used to create that profile. "

Right. "Developers" means you!

Or will I just need to add my friends UDID number to the Ad Hoc which was the step above this one?

Correct. As long as their UDID is added to the provisioning profile you're using for ad-hoc distribution, you can just give your testers the .ipa file and it should work.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2006
So the user really does not need the .mobileprovisioning file that I need to export out?

I would that since I need to enter there UDID number while I am logged into the developers site that the beta users iTunes or iPad would check to see if they were allowed to use the app.

Thanks.

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
The mobile provisioning file is embedded in your app's bundle when Xcode builds it. You only need to send them the ipa file. Devices not listed in the provisioning profile will not be able to install/run the app.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2006
I did add the UDID number of my friends device to the provisioning profile online and the apple developer site where I logged in. Since I added the 40 digit number there when he installs it, his iTunes account, or iPad will verify that it is OK? Or is that information embeded in the ipa file?

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
I assume that you downloaded the provisioning file after updating it on the iTunes site.

When anyone attempts to install an ipa file the UDIDs embedded in the provisioning file in the ipa file are checked against the actual device's UDID.

You can test this yourself by generating a provisioning file that doesn't have the UDID for a device of yours and then installing on that device.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2006
In xcode under the Organizer I select Provisioning Profiles and my Ad Hoc one I created is there so I assume that is a yes unless I need to look some place else?

He should be installing it tonight so I will now.

-Lars

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.