PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy

Jasonwehrw
Aug 27, 2012, 07:58 PM
Hello everyone, I am a long time reader and love the site! I have used windows all my life, and as I get more and more into graphic design I am ready to give Mac a shot. My only problem is I do not have $2000 to spend. I am budgeted around $300-350. I wouldn't mind buying a G5 quad core, but from what I am reading a Mac mini with intel core duo outperforms every G5. I want a quick desktop computer that would be good for design and studio software. Any help and suggestions on what to buy with the money I have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ariii
Aug 27, 2012, 08:29 PM
The PowerPC F.A.Q. might help with your question:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1091765

Davy.Shalom
Aug 27, 2012, 09:30 PM
Hello everyone, I am a long time reader and love the site! I have used windows all my life, and as I get more and more into graphic design I am ready to give Mac a shot. My only problem is I do not have $2000 to spend. I am budgeted around $300-350. I wouldn't mind buying a G5 quad core, but from what I am reading a Mac mini with intel core duo outperforms every G5. I want a quick desktop computer that would be good for design and studio software. Any help and suggestions on what to buy with the money I have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Go Intel. As much as I love PPCs, if you're buying a Mac to test drive it an Intel one would give you a better idea of how a new era Mac would perform. The 2010 mini was the best one release IMO. It's aging now, but that will also mean you can find them for lower prices.

Intell
Aug 27, 2012, 09:39 PM
The quad G5 out preforms all 2006-2007 Mac Minis. And most dual 2Ghz or faster out preform a CoreDuo or CoreSolo Mini. As a bonus, you can have 4GB or more ram as opposed to 2GB or 3.3GB, you can have a much better graphics card as opposed to the Intell GMA950, and the G5 takes a desktop class optical drive and hard drive unlike the Mini's laptop class ones.

If you're willing to live with a slightly older machine and its maintenance, a quad PowerMac G5 would be a good choice. For less maintenance, an air cooled 2.3Ghz or slower G5 would work as well. Just do your research into programs you are wanting to use on it to make sure they'll run on Leopard and a PowerPC Mac before buying one.

PowerPCMacMan
Aug 27, 2012, 10:38 PM
What exactly will you be using a PowerPC mac for? I applaud you for considering a PPC Mac and welcome to the community!

But, as Intell was saying, you might be better off with an Intel Mac as they are more modern and can run lots more software. Not to say there is isn't a fair amount of software still being developed for the PPC community. We are a small community, but most of us make use of our PPC machines on a constant basis.

It all depends on what you plan to use the machine for. Me, personally I use my dual layer PowerBook G4 1.67 for youtubing, internet browsing, and light photo/video editing - It gets the job done for me. I use my Mac Pro as a file and print server.

Again, if you go the G5 route consider the G5 dual core 2.3 opposed to the Quad. The Quad is nice, but it requires a lot of attention and tender loving care as the LCS can be problematic on some of them. While the Quad G5's LCS is much better in design, its like a car where the water pump can burst. Nothing lasts for ever, unfortunately.