PDA

View Full Version : What I hate about my ipod

starstreak
Aug 10, 2005, 01:48 AM
Ok one thing I really hate. What the heck was Apple thinking when choosing the case material???
I swear I put the unit in a microfibre cloth (non scratching type) and my plastic screen has some fine scratches on it. Heck my SONY PSP has been put into my picket with NO scratches and that has a polished face as good as this Ipod does.
Granted it's a design thing to have the metal back and I like it. But at least try and use better non scratching metals. Ok, that's hard to do, but the first night I had it, I placed it on a CD and even that put fin scraches in the metal? WTF?
AUGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I feel better.

faintember
Aug 10, 2005, 01:51 AM
Umm i thought that was what iPod sleeves/cases were for, ya know, to prevent this sort of thing?? :rolleyes: ;)

Oh and with your PSP not getting scratches; you have to buy a special Sony scratch-inducer (proprietary for sony products only) if you want to scratch your PSP.

Sry, just couldnt resist the jab! :p

mad jew
Aug 10, 2005, 02:15 AM
I've written my iPod off as far as scratches go. It's pretty hacked, but hey, whatcha gunno do. :p

chucknorris
Aug 10, 2005, 02:22 AM
Don't worry guys!

A friend of my cousin's mortgage broker delivers mail to Steve Job's plumber's house, and rumor has it the 5G iPods will come with diamond cases. As everyone who's taken high school geology should know, diamonds are at the top of Moh's hardness scale...so PROBLEM SOLVED!

(Unless you're carrying purer diamonds in your pocket, so P-Diddy's iPod will probably still get scratched... Sorry P-Diddy!)

barneygumble
Aug 10, 2005, 02:23 AM
I can barely read the screen on my ipod becasue of scratches, but hey the battery is good, and the contrast is up. So i can use it fine, it is now in an iskin but i had to remove the screen cover of that becasue it is even worse with it on but it still works well. Next ipod will be a belkin one with a plastic screen cover with leather :cool:

Koodauw
Aug 10, 2005, 02:30 AM
Well I hate my battery. It sucks. One year old and its already dead. Not a good deal IMO.

tech4all
Aug 10, 2005, 02:37 AM
Well I hate my battery. It sucks. One year old and its already dead. Not a good deal IMO.

Which iPod do you have? And by dead do you mean it doesn't hold a charge at all? Sounds odd to me, I have had my 4G iPod a bit over a year and the battery still good.

RandomDeadHead
Aug 10, 2005, 02:38 AM
I have a 3g, not one single scratch, constantly used.

Guys, there called iskins.
Get u 1
Cheepo's are 4.99 buy it now an ebay.

starstreak
Aug 10, 2005, 03:17 AM
Umm i thought that was what iPod sleeves/cases were for, ya know, to prevent this sort of thing?? :rolleyes: ;)

No, see thats the other thing. The ipod is nice. BUT you have to hide it in a sleeve? SO again, whats the point of making it look nice if its gonna be hidden. Not to mention, most sleeves I know wil not cover the screen. And then heaven forbid it gets something in the sleeve. :)

And if you saw my post about the HP skins I have it covered. For the most part. But still the screen gets scratched. I saw a plastic skin that goes over the viewing screen but I think the apple store wanted lik $19 for it and I think it would be too large for me to use the HP skins after that

crachoar
Aug 10, 2005, 05:06 AM
I hate that it (and quicktime 7 for that matter) doesn't play .ogg.

Lame, lame, lame.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Aug 10, 2005, 05:23 AM
If scratching is so concerning, get an iPod mini. Mine is a year and a half and resides in my pocket all the time. Except for an unfortunate incident with a set of keys and the mini ending up in the same pocket for a while resulting in a minute and near invisible scratch in the screen, the mini is without a mark. And that even after i lost it out of my pocket and it went tumbling down a concrete staircase... :)
I hate that it (and quicktime 7 for that matter) doesn't play .ogg.

Lame, lame, lame.I don't think they'll play lame, either...

:p

Mechcozmo
Aug 10, 2005, 05:53 AM
Get a Shuffle. No screen to scratch!

MacRy
Aug 10, 2005, 06:06 AM
This is your saviour.....
http://www.dependable.co.uk/images/products/13.1.01.jpg

I had some really mean scratches on my 30Gb Photo's screen and brought some Brasso (it's just metal polish) and polished them out. It comes up a treat. I was a bit sceptcal at first after reading about using it on the screen but, believe me, it works like a charm. Just rub a small amount on the scratch it a circular motion and keep doing it for about five minutes (use a really really soft cloth - microfibre is best) and then polish it off. Keep doing this and after a while it will just disappear. Takes a while and a bit of effort but it's well worth it.

pulsewidth947
Aug 10, 2005, 06:13 AM
I have a 3g, not one single scratch, constantly used.

Guys, there called iskins.
Get u 1
Cheepo's are 4.99 buy it now an ebay.
I had an iSkin.. stopped using it after 2 days. Its a pain in the arse taking it out every time I want to dock it. I got a dock so why not use it?! And charging it inside the iSkin increases the risk of over heating.

I use the case supplied with my iPod, which has scratched the back of my iPod slightly (could probably buff it out though). Once I got that second scratch, I stopped caring :)

Dropped my 3G 20GB iPod twice, once on carpet once on concrete. Still works, so I cant complain.

NicP
Aug 10, 2005, 08:45 AM
If scratching is so concerning, get an iPod mini. Mine is a year and a half and resides in my pocket all the time. Except for an unfortunate incident with a set of keys and the mini ending up in the same pocket for a while resulting in a minute and near invisible scratch in the screen, the mini is without a mark. And that even after i lost it out of my pocket and it went tumbling down a concrete staircase... :)
I don't think they'll play lame, either...

:p

Actually last time i checked an ipod will play anything lame spits out :D

On topic, the thing i hate most about the ipod, and the reason i dont own a shiny 60gb is because it dosent play back between files gapless :( its no use to me with 30 odd dj mixed cds

mkrishnan
Aug 10, 2005, 08:56 AM
Actually last time i checked an ipod will play anything lame spits out :D

Really? When did this change? You know what LAME is (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAME), don't you?

.Andy
Aug 10, 2005, 08:58 AM
Scratches don't really bother me. It's just an aged patina that will add to the value long-term when it's an antique :D.

The only thing that bugs me is when I'm walking around and hearing really faint music. It usually takes a while before it clicks that I've left the thing on again and chewed through half the battery with the buds hanging around my neck :rolleyes:.

weg
Aug 10, 2005, 09:24 AM

Mine's still ok, but I hate the fact that I can't replace it myself. I usually use my IT gadgets as long as possible, e.g., I had an Apple Newton for 7 or 8 years (before I sold it - I reckon it's still working), and I hate the fact that my iPod has an expiry date.

pulsewidth947
Aug 10, 2005, 12:05 PM
The only thing that bugs me is when I'm walking around and hearing really faint music. It usually takes a while before it clicks that I've left the thing on again and chewed through half the battery with the buds hanging around my neck :rolleyes:.
Oh god yeah! Usually happens when you are certain you just paused the track and put it on hold.

That reminds me, something I dislike about my iPod - finding a song I want to listen to in the car, selecting it then pausing it immediately. The graphic changes to the paused symbol and the time stops counting. But the song continues playing... sneaky iPod in its attempt to drain the battery without me noticing, thus rendering my journey musicless :D.

I found the only way round it is to let it play for 3-4 secs then pause. But then when I get in the car I have to flick the hold switch, press play, press skip to beginning. BAH! That wastes seconds of my life ;)

:EDIT: To the above poster, Weg. You can easily change your battery. When you buy a third party battery you usually get instructions and a little tool to help you (but your credit card will help you open the iPod). Theres also some video instructions (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ipod/battery/install-service/) available. Looks like a 10 min job if your careful, 5 mins if your not :D

faintember
Aug 10, 2005, 05:15 PM
No, see thats the other thing. The ipod is nice. BUT you have to hide it in a sleeve? SO again, whats the point of making it look nice if its gonna be hidden. Not to mention, most sleeves I know wil not cover the screen. And then heaven forbid it gets something in the sleeve. :)
Ummm ever seen the clear protective films for pda's? Buy a pack, adhere one to the iPod screen and trim carefully with a exacto-knife. Screen protection without the case. Works for my mini.

To me, your argument sounds like this:
No, see thats the other thing. The Powerbook is nice. BUT you have to hide it in a laptop bag? Come on, if it is raining outside and you dont want to mar your clothing, you carry an umbrella. ;)

dubbz
Aug 10, 2005, 05:19 PM
Really? When did this change? You know what LAME is (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAME), don't you?

An MP3 Encoder? Last time I checked, iPods were capable of playing back MP3s ;)

Rtyauch301
Sep 25, 2005, 04:55 PM
I can barely read the screen on my ipod becasue of scratches, but hey the battery is good, and the contrast is up. So i can use it fine, it is now in an iskin but i had to remove the screen cover of that becasue it is even worse with it on but it still works well. Next ipod will be a belkin one with a plastic screen cover with leather :cool:

I bought some stuff from mothers this company that makes car wax from auto zone its called plastix it remove most of the scratches all but the deep ones and all of the cloudeness

ipod workes great with hp pavilion zx5000 3ghz p4 1gig ram 60 gig hd ati mobility 9600 128 mb

steve_hill4
Sep 25, 2005, 05:09 PM
An MP3 Encoder? Last time I checked, iPods were capable of playing back MP3s ;)
I think you guys missed the point of that joke, or at least ignored the point in order to get a quick point in.

As for scratches, well I have a couple of minor scratches on my 60Gb's screen that become quite major when you switch it on. Since it won't play video, and I don't use the screen that much, it doesn't bother me for too long. I may have to get some polish though. I am sure I must have got a bit of fine grit or such lodged between my iPod and the case that came with the original iPod photos, as it always sits in there. As I slid the iPod in, the grit must have gratered along the scren leaving it the way it is. :(

ReanimationLP
Sep 25, 2005, 05:42 PM

And if you saw my post about the HP skins I have it covered. For the most part. But still the screen gets scratched. I saw a plastic skin that goes over the viewing screen but I think the apple store wanted lik $19 for it and I think it would be too large for me to use the HP skins after that

Thats one hot iPod man.

NicP
Sep 26, 2005, 11:50 AM

what?
is there some joke here i missed?

emaja
Sep 26, 2005, 12:51 PM
I hate that mine is too small (capacity) to hold all my music. I also hate that Apple keeps coming up with new models that make me want them without really needing them.

Scratches? No problem! Mine went in a Contour Showcase as soon as it was charged and had 50GB of music transferred to it.